What's new

Getting down with the Dolby (1 Viewer)

Billbobagwell

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
So I'm a little confused on how to word this question... I have a 5.1 receiver that has optical and coax, along with a 6 rca input option. It doesn't decode well in my opinion and it doesn't say that it actually supports Dolby. What could I do to get true Dolby surround? I'm trying to research on how to do so but I'm honestly getting a bit confused. I'm not wanting to buy a whole new receiver just a middle man between the input to the reciever

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to provide a brand and model number.

Also, there’s multiple flavors of Dolby. Many different ones through the years.

Billbobagwell

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
It's just a cheap rockville hts45 it's a home theater in a box. I'm just using it for the amplifier since all the speakers it came with were junk

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah. It would come in the form of a new receiver. $250 is probably the minimum for a base model Denon.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This is a great bargain for the price but may or not be within your budget. Either way, for the best deals you should be considering used items.

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
The optical (TOSlink) or digital coax inputs are the only single cable input for 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. The 6 analog RCA inputs are for 5.1 sound already decoded at the source and sent to the receiver from the sources 6 analog RCA outputs.

Please note that many older 5.1 digital receivers only had the ability to decode Dolby Digital, but many Blu-ray’s have only DTS 5.1 encoded. Further, many streaming sites such as Netflix are using Dolby Digital + which older receivers can not decode and downgrade to Dolby Pro Logic (4 channel) sound.

The suggestions to upgrade your receiver to one that supports both Dolby Digital and DTS is a good one.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it sounds to me like we need more information from you:
1) budget (ballpark), $100? $500? $5,000?
2) what is it you are trying to achieve? 5.1 surround for movies? or 2.0 for music? etc.? HT/music at 50/50 or 90% HT and 10% music? what is it?
3) list our all the equipment you've got and how you want to access/utilize it?

once you've got all this i think we can discuss it in more detail.

daddyora

Agent
Real Name
Coy J. Ramsey
My only regret in buying an AVR a couple of years ago was in not getting a receiver that was capable of pre-outs. Of course that capability increases the cost by a couple of hundred $.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks