What's new

Getting 5.1 surround from various components to Logitech speakers. (1 Viewer)

Hartlus

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I need help. I'm not an audiophile but I can appreciate good sound. However, I am working with what I've got and I would like to get true 5.1 surround out of what I have. I have recently purchased a new TV and I'm having trouble figuring out how I should hook things up.
TV: Sceptre X409 HDTV
SPDIF out
antennae/cable in
VGA in
3.5mm stereo in
3 HDMI in
USB
Component + audio in
Composite in
RCA stereo out
Speakers: Logitech Z5300
3 3.5mm stereo input jacks
DSL DVR: Motorola VIP1216
HDMI
Component
Optical
Composite
Coax
Halo 4 Limited Edition XBox 360 (probably Xbox 360s)
Various display outputs including HDMI
Audio out through HDMI or optical
Wii
AV Multi out (Composite, Component, RCA audio)
Slim PS2
Multi out (composite, Component)
Optical
Netbook
3.5mm stereo out
Quote from the Sceptre TV manual: "The TV's SPDIF out for 5.1CH is ONLY used for antenna/cable connection. Any other incoming audio signal will be passed out of SPDIF in PCM format."
If I understand correctly, plugging an HDMI into the TV will only give me 2CH PCM out of the SPDIF. I thought that I would be able to plug everything into the TV and only have to deal with finding a way to to split the SPDIF signal into 5.1 analog channels for the speakers but now it seams that the SPDIF is going to be useless for me.
Another thing I should mention: The speakers have a slide switch for 2, 4, or 5.1 channels. I would like to be able to just leave the switch on 5.1.
I've only ever used these speakers with 2 channels and they sound okay but I wouldn't say great. That's okay with me. As long as they don't sound bad and I can get true 5.1 surround when it's available, I'm happy.
So, the question: What do I need to do here? I'm guessing for the video side I can just plug into all the TV inputs from the other components and on the audio I can run all of those to some sort of switch, adapter, or receiver. I know almost nothing about these things. I had to do research just to ask the question. And, I know you always love hearing this, I don't want to spend very much money. Maybe you could tell me what my options are from cheapest to highest.
Thank you for your time,
Hartlus Basterd

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here you go....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integra-DTC-9-8-Processor-MINT-/200849292526?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2ec38cfcee
There is your "simplest" solution...
Or, you could buy an AVR with pre-outs...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Yamaha-RX-V667-7-2-Channel-Home-Theater-AV-3D-Receiver-Cinema-DSP-hdtv-1080p-/251191052753?pt=Home_Theater_in_a_Box&hash=item3a7c2749d1
And before you go "But I don't want to spend that much"...
You are the one trying to use speakers not intended for home theatre.
And yes, there "other options" than those two. But you need 6 channel pre-out. Which is going to be $200+...even used.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here's another AVR that will stay cheap...note in the pictures you clearly see a multi-channel output...which is how you are going to connect the Logitech...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-Integra-DTR-5-9-Audio-Video-Home-Theater-Receiver-7-1-Channel-SUPERB-/130808589442?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item1e74ccac82

Hartlus

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Would it somehow be less expensive if I were to use regular home stereo speakers? Why is 6 channel preamp output an issue? Is it just hard to find something that passes an unamplified signal?
In any case, your answer points toward a receiver solution rather than any type of switch, adapter, or converter. If I need a receiver and I'm better of going with regular speakers, do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive system that can handle the inputs that I have? Thank you for the links that you have sent me already. I would like to shop around but I don't even know what search terms I should be using. Every receiver that I look at looks like it may be completely different from all the others. Also, should I be looking for audio receivers or will everything be A/V receivers these days? I'm such a noob. You may beat me with a wet noodle if only you will give me your answers.
Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok you need HDMI upconversion....(because of your PS2 and Wii...unless you buy this for the Wii...and I make ZERO guarantee on this things functionality. http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1080P-Output-Upscaling-Converter/dp/B007PY3ZPG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354147788&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+hdmi )
Refurb is the best option based on cost/feature.
In "highest to lowest", I would choose...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC360/Onkyo-HT-RC360-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
Overkill for your current need...but...you won't need a new AVR if you decide to do height/width...2nd zone....or whatever else you choose. This also has two component, so you could connect your Wii with the component cable...and your PS2 with it as well.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR591/DENON-AVR-591-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
Lowest price AVR that lets you connect your Wii and feed the signal to the TV without having to buy the "Wii to HDMI". It also has 1 component so if you put your Wii on HDMI, your PS2 still has a place to go.
If you choose to buy the "Wii to HDMI"...here you go...bargain of all bargains...however you would need either a HDMI switch or forgo the "Wii to HDMI" and connect the Wii to the TV and feed the audio for the Wii back to the TV and use DPL. This AVR only has 3 HDMI. And it DOES NOT have HDMI upconversion...so your PS2 video connects to the TV, audio to the AVR.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html
As you see...as you go down in price...the more "concessions" you have to make in connectivity. And if you choose an AVR...then we can talk exactly how to connect, instead of breezing over(basically not going to "completely explain all three". Pick one...then we'll get there)
As for speakers....this is twice as good as your present Logitech...
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1800BL-5-1-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B001AVRD62/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354148555&sr=1-1&keywords=5.1+speakers+home+theater
So, even if you pick the RC360...with those Yamaha, you are at $400. And at $400 you don't have any "hoops" with your Wii/PS2. Or spend less and you'll have a hoop or two to jump through...

Hartlus

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
How about this?
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS3400/Onkyo-HT-S3400-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package/1.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Stay away from that one. The sub is passive. And the 5.0 portion is dreadful. The Onk 330 with the Yamaha is miles better. If you "must do a package"....
Buy the 5400/5500 or the Denon DHT591BA(if there are any left). Upper Yamaha are worthy as well...as the speakers you get with Yamaha aren't nearly as dreadful as Onkyos. But they are still dreadful.

Hartlus

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Okay. At least I know what to shop for now. Thanks for your help. I will probably go with one of the things that you suggested. Otherwise, I will be asking for thoughts if I find something different.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, I did a lousy explanation of the 330. But you get the idea that with all the explanation on "how to use it"...the greater simplicity afforded by the 591 and the 360 is worth the extra cost.
And....
The 5400/5500 AVR works like the 330.
There is a higher Onkyo called the 6500 that "includes" the 360* you can buy separately. (as in the 6500 is easier for you to use with your sources over the 5500)
*the 360 is an "older" (I think???) version of the AVR included in the 6500. But I don't follow HTiB all that closely...regardless, if not the AVR from the 6500...it is from the 6400 or even the 6300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.