What's new

Get it fixed OR pitch it????? (1 Viewer)

Phil Wyeth

Grip
I need your opinion guys.

I have a 5 year old Onkyo TX-DS989. This was a flagship receiver back then. It doesnt have the 6.1/7.1 or DTS processing but it is THX certified. 100 watts to all 5 channels. The typical Onkyo DSP settings and remote.

Problem: Its broke. Big time. No sound out of any speakers and it gives a 'DSP56K9' error on the display. Took it to repair guy and he gave me an estimate of $400 to fix it.He said he would have to order the maintanance manual from Onkyo and right there would be $70. I could tell from the tone of his voice that things were in sorry shape.

You see...I left it on quite a bit and it ran hot as hell. (I learned my lesson, the new Denon 3802 I just got will get better treatment.) He said part of the power supply is burned out along with a lot of soddered (sp?) areas. 5 yrs ago I paid 2K for it (not a good value, I know especcialy by todays standards)

If I did get it fixed I think I would sell it. Which brings up the issue of how much should I ask for it. I could use the money right now. What would you guys pay for it, knowing its ugly history (or If I was to be a jerk and not disclose its history on ebay for example)? Should I just pitch it?? It seems like a waste. Should I hold a HT ceramony in my back yard and throw it in a grave or are we talking some 12 guage action here.:b

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Receivers, like other modern electronics, are usually

obsolete by the time they reach the age of 5. Therefore,

give it to the repair guy and buy a new one.

Obsolence is also the main reason not to buy an extended

warranty.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I thought the tx-ds989 was the current flagship model? Anyway, featurewise, your receiver does about what current a $200 receiver does (I assume it decodes DD?). I am sure it is better than a $200 receiver in terms of the quality of its amp and preamp, but that is offset by the fact that it is 5 years old and has gone through repairs. Someone could be interested in it as a pre/pro I guess, but I'd say you will be lucky to get $400 for it. And 5 years of use isn't too bad for $2K. Pitch it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've pitched my fair share. I had a nice Carver receiver go south in a lightning hit (now I use surge/spike protectors).

I've thrown out sony tape decks, GE VCRs.

If it works as a preamp, somebody you know may want it. Otherwise, scrap it.

If you are like me, you don't have the space or inclination to keep an electronics graveyard in your basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks