What's new

George Reeves' Superman on DVD (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy 10 and eBay them :D

It's not going to be there though. Warner Canada didn't even send out a press release for these, and I don't think they even made it to the replication stage. This isn't like "La Femme Nikita," which was post-poned shortly before release after stock had already gone out, this is a title that hasn't been announced by the studio, though we all know they had June 7th in mind for the set.

Gord

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
love that box art.
shame something so minor tripped this release up.
i wouldn't have cared if they just removed any and all special features and just released Bare bones sets until they got it straightened out and then dumped all the special features on whatever seasons were left.
guess i'm just impatient.

i wasn't all that fired up for this set before, but now it seems like it would have been fun to go thru some of these eps over the summer.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
i wouldn't have cared if they just removed any and all special features and just released Bare bones sets until they got it straightened out and then dumped all the special features on whatever seasons were left.
Why do you think it was a special feature that caused the delay in the release?

Gord

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Yes, believe it or not: the theme to TAOS was never copyrighted by National Comics, nor anyone else... until 1977!!! Publishing is now held by Bourne Music, and apparently they want a piece of the pie. My understanding of this is that, as long as the theme is used for its actual purpose - to open and close the episodes - the publisher cannot object. It gets thornier if the music is "re-purposed"; for example, if it plays over the menu screens, or as part of a documentary.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Gord...how are you? I suppose my email to you on this topic recently sounded like I was hollering. I was just afraid the delay was due to the news of the Ben Affleck film. I'm glad to know the details for the delay on the DVDs.

I hope the "extras" include those "There's Action....Adventure...and....Mystery previews" that producer Robert Maxwell conceived.

I'm really looking forward to this set. I won't buy any of the sets from remaining seasons as Whitney Ellsworth absolutely ruined the show and his work would have been a complete flop without the writing of Jackson Gillis.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I won't buy any of the sets from remaining seasons as Whitney Ellsworth absolutely ruined the show and his work would have been a complete flop without the writing of Jackson Gillis.
Ellsworth was under orders by the sponsor (Kellogg's) to tone down the violence of the show and make it more "child friendly". To say it's not worth buying any sets after the first season is saying you plan on ignoring such great episodes as "Panic In The Sky", "Five Minutes To Doom" and "The Face And The Voice". While I agree the show after the first season was a different show, I can't totally dismiss every single episode after season one as not being worthy. I plan on buying the complete set.

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator

A bit OT, but wow, that sounds very much like what happened to Lois & Clark. I loved L&C and can admit that there were some very good episodes after the first season, but after creator Deborah Joy Levine was forced out at the end of season 1, L&C was forced to cater to a younger, action-oriented crowd. L&C became a campy, sad shell of its former self.

Back to the topic at hand, I hope that they will be releasing the show soon and not waiting for any sort of tie-in. Ugh, I hate tie-ins! George Reeves will always be my Superman, and the thought of him being associated with any new Superman movies (or Ben Affleck...yuck!) makes me very sad.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
for the longest time i only had interest in the first season of AOS. not only were the stories were played serious and fairly mature, but it had probably the second most attractive Lois (next to Hatcher).

but the more i think about collecting this series, the more i'm actually looking forward to some of the sillier, gentler later seasons.
Noel Neil may be my least favorite Lois, but the color on these shows, every time i've seen them, has been gorgeous.
i expect them to look smashing on disc.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
With all due respect, I never felt any chemistry between Phyllis Coates' Lois Lane and Superman. In fact, I never understood why Superman would bust his butt trying to save her, when she came across as a such a b*tch. Granted, the episodes with Phyllis were the best episodes, but I never cared for her portrayal of the Lois character. Noel Neill was much more attractive in my eyes, and I could feel the chemistry between her and Superman. Can anyone imagine Phyllis Coates as Lois in the episode "The Wedding Of Superman"? I can't! She cared alot more about scooping a story than she ever showed interest in Superman. Still, Phyllis was the queen of scream on the show, and I won't take that away from her. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
no argument Carlos.
Coates was an abrasive Lois.
i find her attrative on a purely physical level.
and there probably was more chemistry with Noel, but to me she always had the sex appeal of your third grade teacher.
and, while this is really a nonsense criticism in view of the stories she inhabited, she wasn't really my idea of a believable big city, pro reporter.

FWIW, i liked Neil much more as a little kid, and disliked Coates, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.
i'm a little shallower now though, ;)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I would never argue with any fan that wanted to collect the entire show. It has a charm...there's no doubt about it. I understand the position Whitney Ellsworth was in but he turned pretty close to 180 with it where I suspect Kellogg's and National Comics woulda been happy with a 90.

I agree with you Carlos...the Jackson Gillis scripts have a very good appeal but that lies in the writer's skill to write according to Whitney's rules...but had he not come on board...it would have really been sad.

I have much of the Jackson Gillis stuff....actually I may buy season 2 since Gillis penned several of the episodes...but I really wish Warner would just release a "Jackson Gillis" set (including his color episode) so we could be spared what's left.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I meant color episodes...plural. "Great Caesar's Ghost" and "The Seven Souvenirs" come immediately to mind along with "The Lucky Cat" and a few others.

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator

Truthfully, I never had any need for chemistry between Lois and Superman/Clark. I watched The Adventures of Superman strictly for Superman. Funny...as a kid, I remember always thinking that Noel Neill's Lois was such a wimp.

As a matter of fact, I never had any need for the Lois character until Lois & Clark came along.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Now...my wife's favorite show is "I Love Lucy" so we'll collect them all. It's the least that I can do for her....since she allows me to collect "Have Gun Will Travel", "Wanted Dead or Alive"...heh heh...Thomas Carr directs, and hopefully soon, TAOS.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TV Land is having a 50th Anniversary Salute to Warner TV this weekend which will include an Adventures of Superman episode . Its the one where George Reeves plays a duel role
as Superman and a crook who impersonates Superman .

Some other rarely seen shows will be included in this salute including Surfside Six, Hawaiian Eye , 77 Sunset Strip, Cheyenne, Bronco , and Sugarfoot. It covers all 50 years including Jack and Bobby from this year.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Thank you for the TV Land info. I tried to post the link to tomorrow's schedule but since I'm new...I don't have that capability yet. :-(

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I wish Warner would consider colorizing the first season of TAOS on DVD....like the work that was performed on "Bewitched" That would be nice to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks