What's new

Front projector or plasma??? (1 Viewer)

langer61

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
The daunting task of planning a home theater that will be in a basement has begun.:crazy: I have to design a room that meets my desire for a home theater, is livable for my wife, and can be used for entertaining (i.e. the big game parties). I made the trip to my usual home theater store to begin looking at plasma screens and was turned onto front projectors by the salesman.

I currently have a makeshift "home theater" in my living room and much of the equipment will make the move to the basement. Right now I have a Rotel RSX1067 surround sound pros/amp and Definitive Tech. bipolar speakers in a 5.1 set up with a Pioneer elite plasma. I have been more than satisfied with the performance to this point but having been bit by the bug (again) and want to upgrade/improve upon my current situation. All of the audio equip will go to the basement and the plasma will remain upstairs for regular TV viewing.

Now the question...Front projector or Plasma for the basement?:confused: I have a low ceiling (7'8") with about a 15'6" X 17' area designated for the theater area. Strict enclosure area or a true home theater are unfortunately out of the question.

Front projectors are a new endeavor for me and I am not very well versed with their ins and outs, with the exception of some commonly discussed issues. I can reduce a significant amount of ambient light in the viewing area via strategically located can lights but the room will need to be lit majority of the time it is in use except during movies.

I am considering the Sony VPL-VW60 front projector with a screen in the 86-92 inch range or a 60" plasma. Here's the catch...there is duct work that will be soffited either parallel with the projected image all the way to the screen or perpendicular to it between the projector and the screen. My concern is; will the soffit (will only paint it flat/matte off-white) reflect or create brightness issues and degrade picture quality from the projector? Bottom line is cost is basically equal and the only hang up is will the projector provide a bright enough image for watching sporting events with some moderate ambient light surrounding the viewing area or will the plasma be a generally better picture in all lighting situations?

To sneak a second question in...upgrade to an HDMI compatible audio receiver (will be adding Blu-Ray that will have a dedicated cable to whichever video display) or simply use the pcm connection that I currently have?

Sorry for being long winded but this has been the best website I have found to bounce these question around without a salesman looking for a big sale!:emoji_thumbsup:

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Howdy! and good luck!

My biggest concern with a projector would be, does the soffit block the projection? You are starting with a low ceiling, and then dropping it another 8 to 12 inches. Here's a dumb idea: decide where you would want the screen, then thumbtack some string to each corner. Run the strings back to where the projector would go, and see if there are any obstructions. You could do the same thing with a laser pointer instead of string, or make a cardboard box with a light bulb in it to simulate a projector. I suppose you could just put your eye where the projector belongs and check that you can see the whole screen....anyway, whatever works!

A plasma screen would probably be brighter, depending on the light output of the projector. I don't think there would be a huge difference in image quality either way in a fully darkened room. Any light in a room will wash out a projected image. The plasma screens are typically very reflective, and any lights in the room would need to be shielded so as not to be visible in reflection off the glass.

A 60" plasma is a hefty purchase, so it sounds like you can afford a pretty good projector. Ask your salesman if you can set up a "shootout" between the plasma and a projector; they might go for it.

langer61

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
I never considered the string idea...good thinking. I do not believe the soffit will obstruct the projected image but in either location it will be quite close to the soffit. Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you can find solutions for the lighting and soffit situations, a projector is the way to go. I have a Panasonic AE-900U and a 103" DIY screen. It has been great. We use it for the majority of our TV watching.

-Robert

langer61

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
My response is not timely, but...after countless hours of research and comparison, it looks like the plasma will win out. Just too many factors to compensate for with the projector. And, the plasma route will allow me funds to properly wire the entire project, not cutting corners on a screen or mounting. Thank you for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks