What's new

Fright Night II (and other horror titles) BIG FAT FULLSCREEN (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Guys, write Artisan a letter and tell them what you think of their awful decision regarding these DVD's.

Artisan Home Entertainment Inc.
2700 Colorado Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I've Been Waiting for You and Killing Mr. Griffin were both made for TV, so they are most likely already in OAR. Sucks about Fright Night 2, though, for the people who wanted it. :thumbsdown:

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If you want to make a statement to Artisan on this, boycott the T2:EE.
The statement that makes is "when you go through the expense of doing a disc right, we won't buy it." The sales of both high-quality and low-quality discs would be about the same, and they would see no economic benefit to doing DVDs the right way. I would venture that that's the wrong statement to make. It seems to me that the thing to do is to make sure and buy the good discs and avoid the bad ones; that makes the statement that the extra money invested in proper DVD productions is a worthwhile investment for them and that poor discs aren't a worthwhile investment.

DJ

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
*sigh* Once again, another studio thinks they can get away with dumping old VHS-era pan-and-scan transfers (and I'm sure that's what these will be) to DVD just because nobody has heard of these films...

Just another thing that helps you appreciate studios like Warner and Paramount, who make new, OAR transfers for everything, even movies nobody has ever heard of...

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
This doesn't bode well for The Monster Squad......
Last I heard, Monster Squad is in Paramount's library due to various acquisitions and what not. I have been unable to confirm that, however.

I did manage to track down the only existing widescreen home video release of Monster Squad, which is a Japanese laserdisc from 1989. Quality is actually pretty good and subtitles are in the black bars (plenty of room considering the 2.35:1 aspect ratio).

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Last I heard, Monster Squad is in Paramount's library due to various acquisitions and what not. I have been unable to confirm that, however.
I guess Monster Squad is screwed either way.

Though, at the very least Paramount would provide a widescreen transfer.

However, we wouldn't get so much as a trailer on the disc, and we'd be paying $19.99 for it. :frowning:

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
You'd get a solid transfer and probably a good 5.1 sound mix. I'd rather pay $20 for that than $9.95 for something I'd use as a coaster.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"Boycotting one of the few discs they have actually done right in the last year, seems an odd way of getting a point across."

Yes, if you look at it in that sense, but I'm looking at it from the standpoint that they are surely looking at this to be a disc that they want to make a lot of money off of. If people were to let it be known to Artisan that we will not be buying T2:EE until you put out these other movies in OAR, maybe it would get a message acorss. Of course, greater numbers would be needed.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Fright Night 2 had one "performance art" piece/seduction in it that I really really loved, even if the rest of the film was uber-cheese.

I would've eagerly bought it for that one scene, especially since, using the "scene selection" menu, I could've just watched it.

But MAR has made this a no sale in my book.

You would think most sci-fi fans would appreciate and prefer OAR, since that is the stereotype (good or bad).

Oh, well.

Artisan is a misnomer, as many of you have already pointed out.

Mark

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

They do; the "J6P" stereotype is not why these discs are MAR-only. It's because Artisan believes that if a film is not well-known, they can get away with cutting as many corners / spending as little money as possible in the making of its DVD. So not only will this disc be MAR-only and bare-bones, but I won't be surprised if the transfer is the same one that appeared on one of the old VHS or laser releases.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This doesn't bode well for The Monster Squad......
Where is the SE DVD of that cult classic? What is going on? So much crappy 80s horror and no Monster Squad?! I beseach you!

Monster Squad- the thinking man's Goonies. :laugh:

As for the fooooolscreen editions of the films in question, all I have to say is: get with it, Artisan; play the game, eh?! :thumbsdown:

Gordy

I wonder whether this is another expression of what appears to be a general feeling amongst some DVD distributors - that horror fans are primitive morons who will put up with any old rubbish. Here in the UK, we have to put up with similar nonsense from the dreaded VIPCO label, which has been slaughtering classic horror movies from the likes of Fulci for more years than I care to remember.

I think the only way to make the point is to refuse to buy anything that isn't OAR and to let Artisan and the others know that horror fans won't accept this sort of thing. The success of beautifully produced DVDs such as Anchor Bay's SUSPIRIA SE and the current raft of titles from Blue Underground indicates that we have as much interest in well produced discs as anyone else and perhaps more interest, in that we will assiduously seek out our favourite titles.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
ADDING INSULT TO INJURY: Has anyone seen the cover of the upcoming Artisan LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM? It features a huge shot of Hugh Grant's mug (a recent picture I think), with the Amanda Donohoe snake monster shown tiny and insignificant. Not only not OAR, but who are they marketing these films to???

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
That's really disappointing about Lair of the White Worm. I would've bought a widescreen version, but P&S is no sale. I'll stick with my VHS until a decent DVD comes out.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks