What's new

frequency tuning (1 Viewer)

Matt Weyen

Stunt Coordinator
When I make my sub, I want to do it right the first time. I plan on listening to 50/50 music/ht. I like a tight sounding sub but realize that I don't want to go with a closed sub because it doesn't sound as good for movies (tested my current JBL PB10 with a shirt for a port plug).

I've been playing with winISD pro and have descovered that making a shorter port would effectively make the tuned frequency more like that of a closed sub but still a decent amount different. This actually sounds like a good idea to me. Can somebody explain if this theory of mine really will work to make a tighter sounding sub without going the closed route?

thanx-

MW

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
A short port will raise the tuning frequency, and ported alignments roll off sharply below the tuning frequency, defeating the purpose of using a port (deep extension). If you can live with a large enclosure and can afford a high powered amp, then a large sealed enclosure with a large low f3 driver and deep bass boost in the electronic chain will give the best of all worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks