What's new

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection coming 9/13/16 (3 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oh yes! I'd sort of given up on this for this year, what with the Hammer set coming from Universal. I won't bother with the Wolf Man set, but the Frankenstein legacy will be mine, & I don't mind one little bit double-dipping the first two Frankenstein films...& yet another great year for Blu-ray!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes! I'd sort of given up on this for this year, what with the Hammer set coming from Universal. I won't bother with the Wolf Man set, but the Frankenstein legacy will be mine, & I don't mind one little bit double-dipping the first two Frankenstein films...& yet another great year for Blu-ray!
Yeah me too if you already have the 8 film collection and buy this Frankenstein set the only new films you will get in the wolfman set are Werewolf of London and She Wolf of London. Not worth buying a box set just for 1 good film and 1 mediocre film. DVD will be good enough for me for those 2 films.

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
Looks like there is a great deal of duplication across the Wolfman Collection and the Frankenstein Collection. Both contain the "shared universe" features in which both appear: Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man; House of Frankenstein; House of Dracula & Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Since I already have the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection set, there will be double dipping if I buy either, but I think it likely I will purchase the Frankenstein set and get the full Larry Talbot/Wolfman saga, plus Son of Frankenstein (which I love-Basil Rathbone is wonderfully manic as Frankenstein) and Ghost; thus I will only miss out on the Blu-ray version of Werewolf of London (which is a shame) & She-Wolf of London(which I can live without).

The Blu-rays for the Collection looked outstanding compared to the DVD sets, so if the quality level is maintained for the "lesser" sequels the double dip for the upgrade will be worth it for me.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I smell disappointment coming. Why would they package a blu-ray set to precisely match a DVD set that has been out for two years already?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
There are 2 spots on the linked to page that lets you choose between Blu or DVD editions...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I will remain hopeful for this set until I know otherwise. Frankenstein has a very special place in my heart.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I found that pull down that wasn't apparent at first. There are two differences between the DVD set description and the blu-ray... Release date and number of discs. So maybe it's correct. It's weird they would make us buy the first two Frankensteins and the Wolf Man all over again.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Frankenstein is more of the no-brainer in this regard given the strength and popularity of the Karloff features.

However, the contents seem strange. Both Legacy collections now contain 4 duplicate films? (House of Dracula, House of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, and Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein)

Tempts me to pass of the Wolf Man set and keep the extra 2 films of DVD.

Also strange is that the first Frankenstein film is not included in the description. I'm hoping these are mistakes.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, the "DVD/BLU" link points to an amazon page that doesn't exist (yet). So it sounds like we're getting one in Blu - just that it's still not quite all synced up.

If they get this to around 20 bucks, I'll probably pick it up.

EDIT - okay, found this breakdown on reddit that someone kindly put together:
Dracula (1931)............................................ .......Original Set
Frankenstein (1931)............................................Original Set | Frankenstein
The Mummy (1932)............................................Original Set
The Invisible Man (1933).....................................Original Set
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)..........................Original Set | Frankenstein
Werewolf of London (1935)..................................Wolf-Man
Dracula's Daughter (1936)...................................Unannounced
The Son of Frankenstein (1939)............................Frankenstein
The Mummy's Hand (1940)..................................Unannounced
The Invisible Man Returns (1940)..........................Unannounced
The Invisible Woman (1940)..................................Unannounced
The Wolf-Man (1941)............................................Original Set | Wolf-Man
The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)...........................Frankenstein
The Mummy's Tomb (1942)...................................Unannounced
Invisible Agent (1942)..........................................Unannounced
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf-Man (1943)................Frankenstein | Wolf-Man
Son of Dracula (1943)..........................................Unannounced
The Phantom of the Opera (1943)..........................Original Set
The Mummy's Ghost (1944)...................................Unannounced
The Mummy's Curse (1944)...................................Unannounced
House of Frankenstein (1944)................................Frankenstein | Wolf-Man
House of Dracula (1944).......................................Frankenstein | Wolf-Man
The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944).......................Unannounced
She-Wolf of London (1946)...................................Wolf-Man
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948).........Frankenstein | Wolf-Man
Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)....Unannounced
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)...................Original Set
Revenge of the Creature (1955).............................Unannounced
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)...........Unannounced
The Creature Walks among Us (1956).....................Unannounced

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks