What's new

Frank Sinatra Collection coming from Warner on 5/5 (1 Viewer)

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Two confirmed titles are Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964) and Anchors Aweigh (1945)

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Apparently, these two titles are certain, but the collection will likely include more Sinatra titles...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
John Doe said:
Apparently, these two titles are certain, but the collection will likely include more Sinatra titles...

I hope so. Two titles does not a collection make. :biggrin:

Anchors Aweigh is one of my all-time favorites, too. Should look beautiful in HD.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Konstantinos said:
Never seen it. Is it in Ocean's Eleven style?

Not really. Robin is kind of meh, as I recall, though it does have a nice little number from Sammy Davis Jr. ("Bang, Bang!") where he does a dance with six-shooters and a tommy gun. The production design is kind of too slick and forgettable to really convey the 1920s atmosphere. And the hoods are not really hoods, heck, even the hoods in Kiss Me Kate ("Brush Up Your Shakespeare") are better than the hoods in Robin.

Apologies for the low quality of the video.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Well ring a ding ding. And I just completed a trio of Frank Sinatra DVDs which now most likely are headed to a friends DVD collection.
Thrilled to hear "Anchors Aweigh" coming to Blu. Now bring me "On The Town" and "Take Me Out To The Ballgame".

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Fingers crossed that means Some Came Running is among the titles. I also hope the titles are released individually as I find Anchors Aweigh uninteresting as cinema unless you find Kathryn Grayson's shriek ... .. uh, singing to your liking and Robin And The 7 Hoods is a bit too precious for my liking. I have those two on DVD and I'm fine with that.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ah, Robin & The 7 Hoods, excellent. One off my Warner list already. The BBC showed it over Christmas (SD), but the swines zoomed it to 16:9 after the titles, so I wiped it off my planner.

I remember reading an article about musicals in Gramophone magazine a few years ago, & the writer saying that he thought Robin & The 7 Hoods was the last great musical written just for the screen. I think I agree* (but not really a great film, but I like it). I can't think of a musical written just for a movie since Robin that's as good, the songs are great, & the singers aren't too shabby :)

*maybe Phantom Of The Paradise, but it's such a different film.

I'm glad this is not a box set with the other rat-pack films, as this is the only rat-pack movie I like. EDIT well maybe this is a box set, but I'm sure the films will be available separately.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thomas T said:
I also hope the titles are released individually as I find Anchors Aweigh uninteresting as cinema unless you find Kathryn Grayson's shriek ... .. uh, singing to your liking

With you 100%. But THAT is what they make chapter skip buttons for! :biggrin:

Way too much other good stuff in there with Frank & Gene to let a little Kathryn Grayson keep me away!

And, yes, if we're talking Anchors Aweigh, Take Me Out to the Ballgame almost HAS to be alongside it...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
And interestingly not Archive releases. I did think last year that most if not all of their catalogue releases would come under the Archive banner, but that's not the case.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
IMO Robin is not a great film, but my Dad loved it and we watched it any time it was on TV growing up, so it has great sentiment for me. I am excited and looking forward to seeing what other titles will be announced. If High Society is among them, I hope they went back to the best elements for a new scan.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
High Society would be exciting...

I had never seen the film before seeing the clip of Frank & Bing singing Well Did You Evah in That's Entertainment (abridged).

And I like the film just fine...but I can sit there and replay Well, Did You Evah over and over and over and over again. :biggrin:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Billy Batson said:
And interestingly not Archive releases. I did think last year that most if not all of their catalogue releases would come under the Archive banner, but that's not the case.

Sinatra is still very popular and a hot commodity sales-wise, so it's no surprise that these titles and a few others would be released through WHV and not WAC. I would imagine we're talking blu-ray releases here and not standard def dvd retreads of the collections released in 2008?

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Mike Frezon said:
High Society would be exciting...

I had never seen the film before seeing the clip of Frank & Bing singing Well Did You Evah in That's Entertainment (abridged).

And I like the film just fine...but I can sit there and replay Well, Did You Evah over and over and over and over again. :biggrin:

Agreed Mike, this is great stuff! Two of the most talented performers in the history of show business at the peak of their powers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks