What's new

Frame rate slowdown on Blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

follicle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I just got my first (beginner) home theater set up. After watching a few movies, I can't believe how much the system enhances the movie viewing experience. I ended up buying a 42" LG LCD and a Philips Blu-Ray Home Theater System. In my opinion, the sound and picture are very high quality. In the end, I'm very happy with my purchase. I do, however, have a question.

I recently watched two (rented) Blu-rays: District 9 and Watchmen. The audio and picture looked great; however, I noticed from time to time there seemed to be a little bit of a slowdown in the frame rate. Most of the time it was extremely subtle. All-in-all, I would say there were approximately 10 (short) instances in both films when a slight slowdown occurred. The slowdowns wouldn't last longer than a few seconds. These slowdowns didn't necessarily come during scenes of action. Sometimes there would be a slowdown during sequences of dialog. Again, they were very subtle. No one in the room noticed them but me. Last night, I watched my first purchased Blu-ray (A Scanner Darkly) and didn't seem to notice too many issues. My television has a 120hz refresh rate, so I am fairly certain I'm not mistaking the slowdown for judder or blur (also considering that the slowdowns would occur during still, non-action scenes). Upon examining the rented Blu-rays, there were numerous hairline scratches on the Blu-rays ranging from 1/4 inch to an 3/4 inch in length. Not surprising, considering most of the DVDs I've rented from the local video store would hardly even play.

My question is: Do you think the frame rate slowdown was caused due to the scratches on the Blu-rays or something else like the Blu-ray player or the television? Or... is frame rate slowdown normal from time to time on Blu-ray players? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Again, the slowdowns are subtle and I could live with them, but I would like to be sure there are no major defects in my system.

Thanks in advance for any replies. People are extremely helpful on here.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Scratches could confuse your player, making it repeat a frame or two until it gets back on track. That's not a certain thing, just a possibility.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Since you say the TV has a 120hz refresh rate, I'm assuming it has some kind of frame-creation (motion-enhancement algorithm) effect and perhaps you are seeing the artifacts that result from frame-creation? Will the TV allow you to turn off the effect so you can see it without the enhancement? My projector has frame-creation which results in the soap-opera effect and I hated it. It made me dizzy and I could see motion artifacts that drove me nuts. I keep it turned OFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks