What's new

FOX - Star Wars DVD cases! (1 Viewer)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Dear Peter and 20th Century Fox,
It was brought to my attention after the Fox chat that Star Wars Ep1 was supposed to be released in a thin double amaray case. I encourage you to reconsider this choice of container for the upcoming Star Wars DVD's.
Why?
1. I don't like the nature of these thin cases, since they are basically a single case, with an extra holder attached to it. They are fragile and flimsy, and I find them pretty annoying too.
2. I like the look of a thicker case much better, like a double alpha or the fight club special cardboard pack. This would also give some more space on the spine, I feel it will be crammed on a thin amaray.
3. The Star Wars DVD releases are not your standard DVD release. They're special. Therefore, the cases should also be "special", and not "standard" as the double amaray.
Since every Star Wars VHS release I've seen have been in some kind of special packaging (cardboard, gold case etc.) I took it for granted that the Star Wars DVD's would be in an equal packaging, like DOUBLE GOLD ALPHA's or HIGH-QUALITY CARDBOARD/PLASTIC CUSTOM CASE.
However, no matter which case you choose, keep that type for the rest of the series. I bet you're going to get for using thin amaray cases, but you're going to get it even more if you're switching to double alpha after 2 episodes or something like that...
Best Regards,
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~
[Edited last by Artur Meinild on August 10, 2001 at 02:23 AM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
My only question regarding the SW cases is that when the cow flies over the moon and all six are released, how are they going to look on my shelf?
Will all of them be the same width? If episodes 4-6 are single disk issues, and thus single disk cases, they are going to look funny next to a double - or 3 doubles.
We'll never know if there are enough extras for 4-6 until they come out, if they do.
Glenn

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
For durability purposes, I ask that the DVDs be encased in carbonite
biggrin.gif

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
2. I like the look of a thicker case much better, like a double alpha or the fight club special cardboard pack. This would also give some more space on the spine, I feel it will be crammed on a thin amaray.
For the sake of all mankind,
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER USING A CARDBOARD CASE FOR STAR WARS DISKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
I will gladly accept the double amaray or alpha, but I will not accept this cardboard junk or the plastic crap we've gotten from the Universal Ulitmate Editions.
Please protect the value of our DVD purchases.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My vote would be for the thicker double alpha. There is room for a decent booklet, and most importantly, it has more profile on the shelf, both at retail and at home.
This is Star Wars, it should look impressive. A single thickness case does not look impressive.
No way, no how should this be in cardboard....
Thanks for listening. :)
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Steve Hauben

Stunt Coordinator
1st Choice Double Alpha
2nd Choice Double Amaray
999,999th Anything Else I've Ever Seen.
Thanks,
Steve
[Edited last by Steve Hauben on August 10, 2001 at 03:33 PM]

Lafe F

Second Unit
My friend's cardboard Fight Club case got crushed slightly during a move. The weight split the box at the seams.
One of my Terminator 2 discs cracked slightly on the inner ring. Essentially I pressed down on the top disc to remove it, and ended up cracking the lower disc. Others have done this too. It's a dangerous setup. I blame this on the case and my lack of consideration.
[Edited last by Lafe F on August 10, 2001 at 10:08 PM]

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yes, Please FOX and Peter release Episode One in the same style case as you did with Big Trouble in Little China. A case may indeed appear unworthy of such a request but the original post was right in that Star Wars deserves the bigger casing and the more durable. Thank you for your time...

YANG

Screenwriter
FOX should reconsider when planning on any future DVD release of the case which they wanna use.
As most consumers agree,dual alpha's are much more better,and durable.Further more,it is replaceable one if the case is damage.
Although card board casing is very creative,making that particullar release stands out of the crowd,shows some appeal to interested consumers...it is still not durable at all!
FOX's most recent release...DIE HARD TRILOGY,is released with DUAL ALPHA KEEPCASES.Thats the best guarantee a consumer can get...durabiliy!
Personally,i am not so particular about whether the dual alpha is black or in silver...i am particular about the case only.
Hope that Mr.STADDON and his team will consider this suggestion.
------------------------------------------------------------
I am not speaking for myself only,this is for all consumers and FOX fans.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
This is a no-brainer for FOX, IMHO. Just release them in the same packaging as Die Hard. Double cases with cardboard wrapped around it all.
Please, nothing like the Fight Club box. The original Star Wars trilogy will probably see a lot of use, and cardboard doesn't exactly age gracefully.
------------------
/Kimmo

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
1st Choice Double Alpha
2nd Choice Double Amaray
999,999th Anything Else I've Ever Seen.
I'll agree with that!
NOOOO Cardboard!
The planned single-wide case is kinda okay, at least compared to cardboard. But I'd much rather have an Alpha or Amary double.
Think The Abyss. Think Independance Day. Think Ultimate Die Hard Box Set.
PLEASE do it right the first time!! Thanks,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
alli2icon.gif
"When you grow up, your heart dies."

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think it's already been mentioned here but worth repeating that the thicker double alpha used with Die Hard really stands out and looks cool. If Big Trouble in Little China got it surely Episode One deserves it as well.

YANG

Screenwriter
"If Big Trouble in Little China got it surely Episode One deserves it as well."
Unfortunately,CAST AWAY,a two disc release,was not released in a dual alpha thick case.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I am not speaking for myself only,this is for all consumers and FOX fans
Please speak for yourself only. As a Fox fan and likely purchaser of the Star Wars DVDs, I'd like to see them in the sleek, slim, stylish, and most importantly, space-efficient double Amaray keepcase.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Please speak for yourself YANG.
Fox can sell me Ep 1 in a zip-lock bag for all I care. He said Double Amaray (thin style), and I will have you guys to blame if they delay the release just to change the box.
------------------
Ta-ra-ra boomsy-ay
Did you get yours today?
I got mine yesterday.
That's why I walk this way!
[Edited last by Trace Downing on August 13, 2001 at 02:40 AM]

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
If it comes to that Trace (and everyone else) go ahead and blame me!
I strongly encourage Fox and Lucasfilm to take care in this release and make sure it's nicely planned! I would hate to see the Star Wars series be inconsistent on DVD because of a silly keepcase...
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I prefer the double alpha case. Obviously, the movie is the most important thing, but somehow, just the fact that the double case is heavier and bigger just makes it look all the more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks