What's new

Fox goes to 11 (1 Viewer)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Something unusual on Fox Sunday- premiere of 24 is scheduled from 9-11 pm.

I don't remember Fox ever scheduling the 10-11 hour. Is this the first time? (Sports that run late and push other shows back don't count.)

I wonder if it could be a test of whether they should schedule that hour on a regular basis.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

I wonder if it could be a test of whether they should schedule that hour on a regular basis.
I don't think it's anything more they hope to get more eyes on Human Target (or whatever their new show is) by making an 'event' out of the entire night.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Does anyone know why Fox doesn't program during the 10pm-11pm hour? I know when they started there just wasn't enough programming (I remember the big deal when they branched out from the weekends and started programming Mon-Fri), but why does this persist anymore seeing how Fox is the #2/#3 network?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I noticed in my travels around the country that many of the Fox affiliates have a 10pm hour newscast which is a big money maker for the affiliates. I know the station here in my home town that became the Fox affiliate always had a 10pm hour long newscast and there was no way they were going to give that up when they became an affiliate. (I was working in broadcast television at the time and knew many of the people at the Fox affiliate)

I would image that many of the affiliates negotiated into their agreements that a 10pm news cast was what they wanted. I doubt many of them will be willing to give that up since again, it is a big money maker for them.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Affiliate agreements. Fox gave them 10-11pm originally because they didn't have any programming to put there, as you say, but the 10 PM newshour is one of the most profitable hours for Fox affiliates, and one they aren't likely to give up anytime soon.

My guess is that they had to work out a special negotiation with affiliates for the "24" premiere. Losing the 11 PM hour on weekends is also far less of an issue for affiliates than losing it during the week would be.

EDIT: Errr... what Patrick said.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
From what I understand, the biggest obstacle to Conan moving to 11pm on Fox is that the affiliates make a boatload from syndicated sitcoms in the 11pm hour, and they don't think Conan would get any better ratings than what they already have (some are afraid of losing viewers).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam:

Not sure if you've noticed...but Fox23 here in the Albany-area has now added a half-hour newscast @ 11pm on weekdays to follow their hour-long 10pm news block.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

From what I understand, the biggest obstacle to Conan moving to 11pm on Fox is that the affiliates make a boatload from syndicated sitcoms in the 11pm hour, and they don't think Conan would get any better ratings than what they already have (some are afraid of losing viewers).
However, as part of their affiliate agreement, Fox has the right to institute an 11pm-12am program. So, it's more a matter of making such a show equal to or more profitable than the syndicated shows the affiliates run.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

However, as part of their affiliate agreement, Fox has the right to institute an 11pm-12am program. So, it's more a matter of making such a show equal to or more profitable than the syndicated shows the affiliates run.

I've also read that the agreement allows Fox to institute a late night show. It's highly unlikely it would ever be as profitable for the affiliates as their own programing but that is another matter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's the biggest difference, though. Fox's affiliate contracts allow it to take back the 11 PM hour whether the affiliates like it or not. The network is not empowered to do the same for the 10 PM hour.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I think Fox broadcast the premiere of Dark Angel from 9-11 way back when that started.

It's rare, but it's been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks