What's new

Fox Classic titles in June (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes longer isn't necessarily better but if Fox ever releases an "uncut" (if it exists) Cleopatra, I'm SO there.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh

I thought about that too, but the higher price makes me think it's a new edition. 2-disc editions of The Hustler and The Verdict were just released in UK.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
I was really close to purchasing Von Ryan's Express the other day in a Frank Sinatra Collection. Guess I might as well wait now. I love this film, and it is a favorite with my father as well. Twelve O'Clock High is also a must buy for me.

The Hustler's 2 disc Cinema Reserve Edition has about 5 new featurettes. I purchased it a while back, but was disappointed that a new commentary wasn't done.

The Verdict Cinema Reserve is the same. A 2 disc edition with 5 new featurettes including AMC Backstory. I love the commentary from Sidney Lumet, but a new commetary would have been appreciated.

I don't know if this will be the same for the U.S editions.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Dr. Dolittle had preview test screenings at 175 minutes then cut to around 150 for premiere release. Thoise cut songs are long gone and Fox does not have them.

William Miller

Second Unit
What's the problem here people? Fox announces a few upgraded special editions along with a few new titles (including the very rare Charley's Aunt with Jack Benny) and there is an uproar with people throwing darts at Fox who a few weeks earlier in May are releasing about a jillion new titles.

If it wasn't for Fox and Warner, we wouldn't have much to talk about at all in the classic film era.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Some one over at Film Score Monthly posted that "The Sand Pebbles" wasn't going to be the restored version - anyone know for sure?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Charley's Aunt is a must purchase. It's been rumored (along with Meanest Man in the World) for a couple of years so it's great to see it finally be released. More Jack Benny on DVD is always a good thing.

Steve

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
From MoviesUnlimited website:

Charley's Aunt (41)
Standard; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, French, Spanish; audio commentary; theatrical trailer.

The Three Musketeers (39)
Standard; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; featurettes.

Twelve O'Clock High (49) -Collector's Edition
Standard; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital mono; audio commentary; featurettes.

Von Ryan's Express (65) - Collector's Edition
Widescreen (Enhanced); Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; audio commentary; featurettes; isolated score; photo gallery; theatrical trailers; TV spots. Two-disc set.

The White Feather (55)
Standard and Widescreen (Enhanced); Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital Surround stereo, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; photo gallery; theatrical trailers.

The Hustler (61) Collector's Edition
Widescreen; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: Spanish; audio commentary by Newman, others; featurettes; "making of" documentary; photo gallery; theatrical trailers. Two-disc set.

The Sand Pebbles (66) - Collector's Edition
Widescreen (Enhanced); Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 4.0, Dolby Digital stereo, French Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, French, Spanish; audio commentary by Wise, Crenna, Bergen, others; featurettes; isolated score; photo gallery; radio documentaries; radio spots; theatrical trailer; more. Two-disc set.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
From the same source:
The Jeeves Collection
Thank You, Jeeves! (1936) and Step Lively, Jeeves! (1937).
Standard; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; featurettes

The Neptune Factor (73)
Widescreen; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; featurette; isolated score; photo gallery; radio spots; theatrical trailers; TV spots.

White Feather is May 22 release.

2 more titles to add to be released June 5.
Fantastic Voyage - Special Edition
Widescreen; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; art gallery; audio commentary; deleted scene; featurette; photo gallery; poster gallery; screen tests; storyboards; TV spots; theatrical trailers.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - Global Warming Edition
Widescreen; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital Surround 4.0, Dolby Digital Surround, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; art gallery; audio commentary; featurettes; interview; photo gallery; theatrical trailer.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Is there any information yet if "Hell and High Water" will be in 4.0, and if it will have an isolated score?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Well, apart from Fox hiring the genius from Paramount who comes up with stupid special edition titles, that's fantastic news.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Junior I've been waiting for these 3 titles too, specially DAISY KENYON that has never been released on home video. And since Fox is the number one studio, when the subject is "first time on home video", we can aways have hope for this one, and other surprises. Who knows? Maybe we'll see Margie, Iron Curtain, Suez, Centennial Summer, My Gal Sal, 3 Little Girls in Blue, Three Blind Mice, Foxes of Harrow, Coney Island, The Fan, A Bell for Adano, Star Dust, Ramona...all those (and many many other Fox classics) are in my wish list.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator

I had no idea this on the way! More Samual Fuller... YES! More where this came from, though. Hopefully Fox (and others) will soon get around to releasing more Fuller titles.

I've been reading his biography "A Third Face" - it's a true knockout.

JiM T

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Ha! I'll be buying this one, too, even though I vividly remember how disappointed I was in the film as a young lad. I expected a really cool giant fish monster action-thriller based on the very cool theatrical poster art, but all I got was a tedious submarine drama with terrible special effects that wouldn't fool a dead guppie. Even at that young age, I knew I just saw a real stinker after leaving the theater. It was one of the first films I ever saw where I realized the poster art or tv-commercials didn't always represent what the actual film would be. Ya, the movie stinks, but I'll be buying the DVD regardless!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Some suggestions for boxsets:

Bette Davis:
PHONE CALL FROM A STRANGER with the "Crackup" version from 20th Century Fox Hour".
THE VIRGIN QUEEN
THE NANNY

Richard Burton:
MY COUSIN RACHEL
PRINCE OF PLAYERS
RAINS OF RANCHIPUR

Jennifer Jones:
CLUNY BROWN
GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE
TENDER IS THE NIGHT

Bing Crosby:
SAY ONE FOR ME
HIGH TIME
STAGECOACH

Humphrey Bogart:
UP THE RIVER
DEADLINE USA
THE LEFT HAND OF GOD

Spencer TRACY:
THE POWER AND THE GLORY
NOW I'LL TELL (with Alice Faye and Shirley Temple)
STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks