What's new

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18! (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Decline and fall dvd cover.jpg

Good Morning Miss Dove dvd cover.jpg

Here is the cover art for the other two releases. According to Amazon.com MISS DOVE is in 4:3 Letterbox format and DECLINE AND FALL is in full frame. This could mean an Open Matte presentation or a cropped, panned-and-scanned image. It would appear that any more 16:9 transfers are very unlikely. Maybe the LBX transfer of MISS DOVE is the same one used in Spain.I have that edition coming in the mail so will soon know if it's a LBX or an anamorphic transfer.
The LBX master was possibly prepared for a potential Laserdisc release back in the LD era.Moviesunlimited states that the soundtrack is in mono. A shame- the pleasant Leigh Harline score sounds great in stereo on the FSM CD and the early 4-track magnetic CinemaScope sound mixers used the spatial sound creatively (ie. with dialogue moving from the left speaker to the right one when characters did so on screen etc). At least buyers who enjoy this family-friendly drama of an influential schoolteacher will at least see it in CinemaScope, albeit with compromised resolution.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
A welcome lowering of their prices for these titles at Amazon.com is a good sign. Some Fox Cinema Archives titles have been well over $20.00 on their release, however the list price for these three titles is $13.95. If all titles come down to this price it would make this series of MODs the cheapest around (though some have not been worth purchasing at ANY price!)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Here is the latest cover art for the last two releases in this series:

024543934448_Forever_Amber_.jpg

kentucky dvd cover.jpg

I have ordered KENTUCKY. Hoping it will be one of their better transfers.Walter Brennan won Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars for this role as well as two other Academy Awards in this category in the first 4 years of its inclusion (1936-40). I'm guessing the other nominees were nonplussed.....
Update re GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE:
Although Classicflix lists the transfer as being Fullscreen, Movies Unlimited states it is Widescreen AND in Dolby Digital Stereo. Amazon gives the added detail that it is in '4:3 Letterbox'

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I ordered Forever Amber and hope to get it next week. I will report what I think it looks like. I also noticed that Amazon had dropped the price on GMD to 11.99 or less I think

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I took a gamble on GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE from Amazon. At $11.16 on Amazon it's worth a gamble, even if it's only 4:3 letterbox. Also picked up FOREVER AMBER and I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN. For some reason, KENTUCKY is unavailable.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just found out thanks to Rob that my Forever Amber title has dropped to ll.16 also. I also took a look and all other titles are just 12.99.Amazon dropped the price for me because you have 7 days if they drop a price on a title you bought to get a discount.I may take a look at some more titles at this price from Fox.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rob_Ray said:
I took a gamble on GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE from Amazon. At $11.16 on Amazon it's worth a gamble, even if it's only 4:3 letterbox. Also picked up FOREVER AMBER and I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN. For some reason, KENTUCKY is unavailable.
I just bought Kentucky as well as three other titles including Five Fingers from Amazon.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Do you think all the previous Fox Archives titles will eventually drop to the new $13 price-point as well? I hope its a permanent change - by and large the original price wasn't worth it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
classicmovieguy said:
Do you think all the previous Fox Archives titles will eventually drop to the new $13 price-point as well? I hope its a permanent change - by and large the original price wasn't worth it.
A number of their older releases have been reduced to those prices. At least their sale price.

As an example.

http://www.amazon.com/Happens-Spring-Milland-Douglas-Collins/dp/B00A1AU5Y0/ref=pd_sim_mov_23?ie=UTF8&refRID=19FEQ138FGERN5ARJS26

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Livingstone-Spencer-Tracy/dp/B00A1AU5Z4/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_z

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm hoping this is a permanent change because, frankly, the new price is a more accurate appraisal of the Fox Archive product overall given how the bare minimum of effort goes into these. Personally, I think they should all be going for $10 but this is close enough.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Does Fox have any plans to release any Tyrone Power movies to coincide with his centennial (this Monday, May 5)?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Vic Pardo said:
Does Fox have any plans to release any Tyrone Power movies to coincide with his centennial (this Monday, May 5)?
What would they release? Haven't all or almost all of Power's Fox catalog been released on either DVD or through Fox's MOD program already?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
There's still Lloyd's of London (1936) and King of the Khyber Rifles (1953).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
MLamarre said:
There's still Lloyd's of London (1936) and King of the Khyber Rifles (1953).
I stand corrected. I thought both were part of Fox's MOD program. Certainly, King Of The Khyber Rifles was announced for their Archives program but I guess it never came to fruition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks