What's new

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18! (1 Viewer)

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
maybe they get there source material from vhs tapes. when dvd was in its infancy some of the releases were from vhs. we are still waiting for certain films that are supposed to be in widescreen to be released that way. when sharky's machine was first released by warner it was full screen. i am wondering if the blu is widescreen. sorry to go off topic.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
maybe they get there source material from vhs tapes. when dvd was in its infancy some of the releases were from vhs. we are still waiting for certain films that are supposed to be in widescreen to be released that way. when sharky's machine was first released by warner it was full screen. i am wondering if the blu is widescreen. sorry to go off topic.

Given the quality of so many Fox Cinema Archive releases, it would appear that their source material is not only old VHS tapes, but old VHS tapes discarded by Blockbuster after too many viewings. It's an on-going disgrace that Fox seems to have such utter disdain for its library of classic films. Sadly, though, disrespecting both their customers and their own history seems to be Fox's actual intent. Who knows why.

Last edited:

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
The Classicflix website usually lets buyers know what ratio the Fox Archives dvd-roms will be presented in. Reviewers on Amazon will often describe the ratio too, sometimes in emotive language!
I have received the Spanish blu ray pressings of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and MAN ON A TIGHTROPE. They look terrific. Neither have the extra features which accompany the ones in the Kazan sets, but I'm sure they are taken from the same masters. BROOKLYN is particularly outstanding.
The Spanish blu ray of GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER has all of the features of the 2-disc Special Edition. If the TT release has another commentary track added, then that is the one feature missing.
THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS looks great on the Spanish blu ray too. However AVOID 'SAYONARA" (very soft, like a VHS tape) and 'KINGS ROW' (inexplicably cropped to 1.85:1 and stretched to boot. A travesty of James Wong Howe's brilliant Academy ratio cinematography (which should have won the Oscar that year, as indeed should the film in my opinion. ) We'll have to wait for Warner Archoves to do it properly. A wasted opportunity!

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The Classicflix website usually lets buyers know what ratio the Fox Archives dvd-roms will be presented in. Reviewers on Amazon will often describe the ratio too, sometimes in emotive language!
I have received the Spanish blu ray pressings of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and MAN ON A TIGHTROPE. They look terrific. Neither have the extra features which accompany the ones in the Kazan sets, but I'm sure they are taken from the same masters. BROOKLYN is particularly outstanding.
The Spanish blu ray of GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER has all of the features of the 2-disc Special Edition. If the TT release has another commentary track added, then that is the one feature missing.
THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS looks great on the Spanish blu ray too. However AVOID 'SAYONARA" (very soft, like a VHS tape) and 'KINGS ROW' (inexplicably cropped to 1.85:1 and stretched to boot. A travesty of James Wong Howe's brilliant Academy ratio cinematography (which should have won the Oscar that year, as indeed should the film in my opinion. ) We'll have to wait for Warner Archoves to do it properly. A wasted opportunity!

Are any of them legitimate or are they all bootlegs?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
My apologies in advance for my ignorance on this issue, but are all Fox Cinema Archives released as DVD-Rs or are any of them released initially as pressed discs and then switch to DVD-Rs? The reason I ask is that I am considering buying Princess of the Nile and some Ebay listings describe it as DVD-R and some listings describe it as DVD.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
"Princess of the Nile" is a fun little film, almost reminiscent of the old Montez/Hall films of Universal. The Fox DVD-mod isn't bad. Better than a lot of their other 50s color releases. Indeed, I tend to usually avoid a lot of their 50s-era releases, due to a lot of reasons often stated on this thread. I'm more apt to give a shot to the older, black-and-white offerings that Fox serves up.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
"Princess of the Nile" is a fun little film, almost reminiscent of the old Montez/Hall films of Universal. The Fox DVD-mod isn't bad. Better than a lot of their other 50s color releases. Indeed, I tend to usually avoid a lot of their 50s-era releases, due to a lot of reasons often stated on this thread. I'm more apt to give a shot to the older, black-and-white offerings that Fox serves up.

Bert:

Thanks for your recommendation. I recently purchased The Tiger of Eschnapur and the Indian Tomb on Ebay which led me, of course, to Princess of the Nile which I really would like to purchase. And yes, to state the obvious, the common theme Is Debra Paget :D.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Anyone know what's going on with Fox's Cinema Archives program ? I just bought 2 Clifton Webb Blu-ray discs from Amazon, and I would love to be able to buy other films . Any idea if the program is still ongoing ?

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Nothing new there since last March. The Warner Archive is the only ongoing MOD program.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Nothing new there since last March. The Warner Archive is the only ongoing MOD program.
That's close to a year. That's too bad . The Blu-rays I've gotten from them have been excellent . Sony's program seems to be inactive as well. I was hoping for some classic TV from them. This gets back to what many have said on this site : if the major studios don't want to release their catalogs , they should think about licensing them out to companies like Mill Creek, Amazon , Timeless, etc.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
That's close to a year. That's too bad . The Blu-rays I've gotten from them have been excellent . Sony's program seems to be inactive as well. I was hoping for some classic TV from them. This gets back to what many have said on this site : if the major studios don't want to release their catalogs , they should think about licensing them out to companies like Mill Creek, Amazon , Timeless, etc.
I just realized that CBS just released The Californians , a 1958 Western , so their program is still active .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks