What's new

Fox Catalog DVD's (From New Label - Twilight Time) (2 Viewers)

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by DeWilson
I wonder how large each DVD run will be - 1000 units? 2500?

"In line with TWILIGHT TIME’s innovative limited series concept, just 3000 units of this and following releases will be producedIn line with TWILIGHT TIME’s innovative limited series concept, just 3000 units of this and following releases will be produced ..."

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I am off base here. but there seems to be a misunderstanding here as to what this series is.
Put together by Nick Redman who produces fox film soundtracks, and sold ONLY by screen archives, the premiere mail order soundtrack store. there series seems to concentrate on 50s and 60s films that have classic film score that can be used for an isolated score track. This hardly leaves room for will Rogers collections and such.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's nice that people are listing their favorites, but this is getting to be like kids deluging Santa at Christmas with unrealistic requests. I reckon Joe Caps is correct; while appreciated this modest one-title-a-month venture isn't going to open the Fox vaults more than a crack, and I can't see Shout going too deep into the catalog, either, beyond cult-ish titles. Neither will get titles out faster than a redoubling of efforts on pressed discs (ha!) or, gasp, a MOD program.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Such 50s and 60s films are what I'm thrilled to hear about. Redman's choices and my tastes are in perfect sync so far.

I'm sure that ongoing developments will be duly noted here, but how are such releases publicized when they're available for order? Do we need to bookmark Screen Archives and check it regularly and pounce as each one is announced? (Not that that's a bad idea anyway, of course, but I need to start since I haven't been so active buying soundtracks.)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

Maybe I am off base here. but there seems to be a misunderstanding here as to what this series is.
Put together by Nick Redman who produces fox film soundtracks, and sold ONLY by screen archives, the premiere mail order soundtrack store. there series seems to concentrate on 50s and 60s films that have classic film score that can be used for an isolated score track. This hardly leaves room for will Rogers collections and such.
I thought that the initial concentration on 1950s and 1960s films might simply be with what they decided to start. The article does say, "each TWILIGHT TIME DVD will offer, whenever possible, that extra most coveted by cinemusic enthusiasts: an isolated score," but it seemed to me from the article that the series was more interested in the film itself rather than the score. You may be right, however, that there will be a real bias to releasing films that have desirable scores (which would exclude early talkies).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Bookmarking the site is a good bet, but I've found these threads to be the best place to find out what's going on with these boutique distributors and MODs.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

It does, however, leave the door wide open for musicals. I agree that Will Rogers is unlikely, but the other PR posting mentions the 1930s, so an unreleased Tyrone Power film or such seems possible. I'm guessing either a musical or some sort of film epic from that era. I hold hopes that Forever Amber is among the future releases.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Screen Archives did a great CD soundtrack of THE LEFT HAND OF GOD. This seems like a likely candidate for Twilight Time. Great score, big named stars, CinemaScope, and never released on DVD. I am excited that they plan to focus on the the great unreleased CinemaScope films of the 50's and 60's. I had always hoped for a box set from Fox of CinemaScope titles, this is the next best thing. My money awaits you.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I believe it was Varese Sarabande that released the LEFT HAND OF GOD soundtrack, not Screen Archives. The German DVD of LEFT HAND OF GOD is a gorgeous anamorphic 2.35 print so I'm content with that.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Thomas T
Actually, I believe it was Varese Sarabande that released the LEFT HAND OF GOD soundtrack, not Screen Archives. The German DVD of LEFT HAND OF GOD is a gorgeous anamorphic 2.35 print so I'm content with that.
It very well could be, I know I ordered it from Screen Archives and they do carry many other labels. While I do have a region free DVD player but I enjoy Region 1 discs better and would enjoy this title released here.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
It's nice that people are listing their favorites, but this is getting to be like kids deluging Santa at Christmas with unrealistic requests. I reckon Joe Caps is correct; while appreciated this modest one-title-a-month venture isn't going to open the Fox vaults more than a crack, and I can't see Shout going too deep into the catalog, either, beyond cult-ish titles. Neither will get titles out faster than a redoubling of efforts on pressed discs (ha!) or, gasp, a MOD program.

Yeh,it's like asking Santa for the top of the line Lionel train set and getting socks and underwear!

TWILIGHT TIME seems to be a more specialized version of what CRITERION has been doing.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
"Neither will get titles out faster than a redoubling of efforts on pressed discs (ha!) or, gasp, a MOD program."

I dare not contradict the wonderful Bob Cashill, but i could point out that a new, never-before company releasing even one new dvd a month is getting product out faster than what was being turned out, right? It may not be MOD, but it is coming out and is a start. 1>0;^)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by battlebeast
They won't ship to Canada, I'm sure...
Screen Archives web site specifically quotes a postage rate to Canada

Gentlemen: it's a little early in the day to be so negative. Don't invent problems that aren't there yet.

I ahve to be negative. The Warner Archive did this to me. Even though I can get the titles in Canada, mit's a bit of a hassle, and there are no bargain deals. But this is good news about postage to Canada, if it holds up. :)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by battlebeast
They won't ship to Canada, I'm sure...
Screen Archives web site specifically quotes a postage rate to Canada

Gentlemen: it's a little early in the day to be so negative. Don't invent problems that aren't there yet.

I ahve to be negative. The Warner Archive did this to me. Even though I can get the titles in Canada, mit's a bit of a hassle, and there are no bargain deals. But this is good news about postage to Canada, if it holds up. :)

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
As everyone else is posting their favorites, I would like any unreleased titles from Will Rogers, Tyrone Power or Clifton Webb. As far as single titles go, State Fair (1933), Sitting Pretty, and LLoyds of London would probably make the most sense. However, it would be nice if they would consider releasing collections like TCM does. A Mr. Belvedere collection with Mr. Scoutmaster tacked on would be great. Lloyds of London could be grouped with King of the Kyber Rifles and Untamed as an epic Tyrone Power collection. State Fair (1933) could be put together with other desired Will Rogers titles like The County Chairman, Connecticut Yankee and Handy Andy (the last two are on TCM on December 28).
I think TCM has taken Handy Andy off the line-up, unfortunately. They replaced it with Doubting Thomas (which is already on DVD). However they are showing Down to Earth (1932) which isnt on dvd yet.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I hope that they will consider blu-ray releases for some of these titles -- THE EGYPTIAN with its lavish production values and great score in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks