Fox Catalog DVD's (From New Label - Twilight Time)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave B Ferris, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

2. kagemusha98

kagemusha98 Second Unit

Great news! Sure wish it was more than one a month! I hoope they will all be anamorphic!

3. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    Thank goodness.

4. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Going to be eyeballing this thread and the website for when the titles will first be available for pre-order. The article made it seem like there is a limited print number of each title.

Looking forward to these titles very much, especially with the promise of extras (and not just a trailer).

5. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

I wonder if the "far more extras" mentioned in the LA Times article means extras-on-disc or just the booklets mentioned?

6. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    Very good news. I'm over the moon! April Love is coming at long, long, last. Although I already have Violent Saturday from Spain, it's not anamorphic so this new DVD is of major interest.

Full marks to Mr. Redman and special congratulations for realising that releasing movies on DVD-R devalues them. Mr. Redman is quite right in thinking that a limited edition of proper, pressed DVDs is the best way of maintaining both standards and perceived value while avoiding the risk of being left with a large stock of unsold product.

7. SWFF

SWFF Screenwriter

Shawn Francis
    Is that all that's coming out? Just five films? Or, will this be an ongoing series?

8. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Another site says that the first six months wil be one title a month witha possibiity of two a month after that.

Fox has licensed twenty titles to this new label so far.

9. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    Mr. Caps can you give us some hints on the titles? Please.

10. SWFF

SWFF Screenwriter

Shawn Francis
    That's funny, Allen, the moment I read the 20 titles, I thought, well, I'm gonna have to make a post asking him if he's got any inside info on the names of those 20 titles. Then I got down to yours, guess we were thinking along the same lines. So, do you, Joe? Say that you do.

11. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

This will be an interesting experiment. One I hope works but will those decrying the advent of MOD and lack of classic pressed titles put their money where their mouth is? If these classics aren't able to sell out their limited 3,000 then the day of Classic cinema on pressed DVD is truly dead!

12. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

As the titles are limited editions and only available from one website (and I'm willing to bet they won't ship outside of the USA) this sales model for me at least sucks even more than the MOD stuff.

Although I harbour some doubts about the longevity of the burnt discs, my biggest objections to the MOD's are price vs. content and difficulty in getting them.

If the Twilight discs are also bare-bones and $20 a pop, then they're just as bad! Worse - at least the MOD discs do eventually show up on places like Amazon.

I hope they'll have the sense to limit the numbers people can buy. I remember how the scalpers were hoovering up all of those Ultimate Sci-Fi sets from Best Buy (remember those?), to resell them at outrageous prices on Ebay.

13. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    They won't ship to Canada, I'm sure... so, once again, for Americans only... :angry: and at one per month, that's 12 per year... it'll take FOREVER to get to the good stuff... (but I'm not saying that the titles they are releaseing are terrible, just not the stuff I'd like to get.)

I am only interested in a select genre - Academy Award Nominees (Best Picture, actor/sctress) So if there are any I don't already have, I think they will be way off. But I am happy to see that these films are finally being released.

14. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

So that's where THE KREMLIN LETTER went. I'm in.

15. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Press releases have mentined that they are NOT bare bones with many extras. Also, I do NOT iknow what the twenty titels are.

16. SWFF

SWFF Screenwriter

Shawn Francis
    Don't know if this will yield much info, but I emailed Screen Archives asking if they could provide me with a list of all 20. I'm mostly curious if any classic horror or science fiction titles will make the line.

17. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    Quote:
    Screen Archives web site specifically quotes a postage rate to Canada

Gentlemen: it's a little early in the day to be so negative. Don't invent problems that aren't there yet.

18. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Well I'm in. At only one title a month, it's a fairly easy committment on my part in the hopes that others will pick up on this business model. Frankly, it's not all that different from what Universal has been doing with the TCM Vault Collections. The initial print runs have been pressed discs, shifting to burnt discs once they are sold out. As a result, I've been finding myself placing a priority on these releases as they come out to ensure I get a pressed version.

19. greylocke5

greylocke5 Stunt Coordinator

SAE's track record is outstanding with regard to their production and release of classic film scores. That's my opinion, based on my being a customer of theirs for many years. They have been in the forefront of film score restoration. Excellent packaging, comprehensive notes, as well as superb remastering. The "limited release/ designed for collectors" model has worked for them. And their customer service is outstanding. None of the hassles we have encountered with other vendors.

So if that level of quality is maintained with this new DVD label we will be in for a real treat. Every new release should be a special event.

20. westumulka

westumulka Stunt Coordinator

Wes Tumulka
    Their release of movie scores on cd have been generally outstanding, so this bodes well for their dvd releases.