What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There are other big production numbers in OKLAHOMA! besides the ballet. If they had room to stage "Kansas City" and "The Farmer and the Cowman," they should have had room to do the ballet, even if they had to downsize it a bit. Maybe they just felt they didn't have strong enough dancers for the ballet.
Except those songs weren't staged on their tiny stage as production numbers. The songs were sung, and then the story moved onward.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Except those songs weren't staged on their tiny stage as production numbers. The songs were sung, and then the story moved onward.

I assume Laurey and the girls sang "Out of My Dreams" and then how did they convey Laurey's fear of Jud? Just curious - I did music for some dinner theater shows many years ago and some of the directors were so imaginative about using a small space.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I assume Laurey and the girls sang "Out of My Dreams" and then how did they convey Laurey's fear of Jud? Just curious - I did music for some dinner theater shows many years ago and some of the directors were so imaginative about using a small space.
I honestly don't remember. It was in 1978. I just remember there was no real dancing nor any attempt at production numbers..

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Being that things have momentarily moved to Oklahoma I'd like to ask why in Kansas City in the sequence where the men are tap dancing straight on into the camera their feet are cut off. DeMille has the other dance sequences so well shot and yet she makes a major blunder here. Very strange and frustrating.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would say it might be best to move such a discussion to this thread:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
You guys were discussing the Oklahoma dances here so I thought it would be the best place to ask as you're pretty knowledgeable about them.

Last edited:

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
That film is quite bewildering yet it seems to have a cult following selling out its Twilight Time release. It is as unwatchable today as it was in 1973 at Loew's State in Times Square. A guilty pleasure though is watching The Things I Will Not Miss on youtube.
But Pan did some very good work until '68. I believe Coppola said he made a mistake firing him from Finian's Rainbow. I wonder why Astaire even allowed it.
When I sold off my laserdisc collection via eBay in 2003, the Pioneer special edition of "Lost Horizon" fetched the highest price by far. More than $200.00!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You guys were discussing the Oklahoma dances here so I thought it would be the best place to ask as you're pretty knowledgeable about them.
Yes, I know, but we probably shouldn't have been discussing them here. It is a Flower Drum Song thread. It's easy to get sidetracked, and they ARE both R&H shows, but I didn't want a moderator slapping our hands.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I watched it today and since it was filmed in Panavision, I expected the black bars on the top and bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.