What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Henry Koster’s 1957 remake of My Man Godfrey is somewhat sterile and superficial losing much of the screwball element and the satirical tartness of the 1936 original.

My Man Godfrey (1957)

Released: 02 Jan 1958
Rated: Unrated
Runtime: 92 min

Director: Henry Koster
Genre: Comedy, Music, Mystery

Cast: June Allyson, David Niven, Jessie Royce Landis
Writer(s): Eric Hatch, Peter Berneis, William Bowers

Plot: The spoiled daughter of a rich American family hires as butler an Austrian vagrant she finds on a pier, without knowing that he illegally jumped ship.

IMDB rating: 6.3
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Universal
Distributed By: Kino Lorber
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I love the 1936 version, great casting and although over the top, for it's time, very believable. I had never seen this version, and though I enjoy these actors separately, this turned out to be a nothing sandwich.

After the shine of the 1936 depession era farce left no room for any other interpitaion, for me.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Nice, thorough review, Matt!

I've never seen this remake, but love the original William Powell/Carole Lombard version. And apologies to her biggest fan, HTF member Thomas T, but June Allyson is no way, no how a suitable replacement for the luminous and lovably screwball Ms. Lombard. That said, I'm still curious to check this out someday.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for the review. I agree with your assessment of this movie which is why I'm not desperate to upgrade from the DVD-R. I'll have another look at that disc before deciding.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Nice, thorough review, Matt!

I've never seen this remake, but love the original William Powell/Carole Lombard version. And apologies to her biggest fan, HTF member Thomas T, but June Allyson is no way, no how a suitable replacement for the luminous and lovably screwball Ms. Lombard. That said, I'm still curious to check this out someday.
Matt's review is pretty much no spot!!!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I love June Allyson but this seems especially bad miscasting. She and Lombard are such completely different types. The original is one of the joys of 30s filmmaking.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
If O.W. Fischer had lasted and been in this, I'd be intrigued...but the casting seems at first glance as bland as can be-- because we know exactly what these stars will do.

I like them both, but how could they match the roles with the subtle heat that Lombard and Powell ( who were married at one point) generate? Or the matchless ditziness of Alice Brady... and especially the glamorous and wonderful contributions of Gail Patrick?

O.W. Fischer was elegant in comedy, as demonstrated in "It Needn't Always Be Caviar"(1961). It might have switched up a hopelessly needless project.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks