What's new

First Impressions of the Denon DVD3910 (1 Viewer)

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
A very stout-looking player. A nice gaggle of outputs.

The 720p/1080i processing on DVI/HDMI works like a damn. Even blown up to a 147" projection screen the picture quality is fantastic.

Having both HDMI and DVI is handy in a store setting so I can drive two different projectors via digital interfaces.

I really like how Denon puts buttons on the faceplate to allow me to select video modes and stereo/multi/CD. In this case, the 3910 allows you to select HDMI/DVI/Component.

Dislikes:

You have to choose either HDMI/DVI or DenonDigitalLink. So if you want to use DDL, you better have a set of component video cables handy.

It's not Denon's fault, it's Sony's but, you cannot pass SACD down the DDL. It's CD or DVD-A, but Sony won't licence Denon to pass SACD on the Link. Yesterday, after some perplexities that would have been solved by actually reading the manual (imagine!) I asked Denon Canada's service manager to give Sony the finger on my behalf.

Yesterday I was mostly focused on video playback. Later on I'll mess with the audio side of it more.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for the info. I think it was previously published that Sony would not allow Denon to pass SACD via digital. It doesn't matter to me anyway, as my receiver doesn't have this capability :) How do the hires formats sound? Specs from the other post about the first review look pretty good. I'm looking to replace my 2200 and an older cd changer with this player.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I just picked one up myself at lunch today.

I've taken a look at it but haven't set it up yet. When I get home from work, hopefully I will have some time to fiddle.

I am MOST interested in the audio side and I have the 2900 at home and a 5900 coming over this weekend. With the two sets of inputs on my 5803, I should be able to an easy A/B comparison between the 3.

As far as the DSD signal down the Denon Link, it looks and sounds like a software update as soon as approval comes down from Sony...fingers crossed, but I'm not too concerned.

It's kind of cool the firewire cord and the Denon Link are supplied though.

Jeremy

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Is it accurate to consider the 3900 as the successor to the 2900 and the 2910 as the successor to the 2200?

I am definitely eyeing this unit. My local electronics stores are hideous and completely non-competitive in their pricing, so I may need some help here!

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
That's reasonably accurate. However, in the words of my Denon rep, the 3910 is "a 5900's hardware in a 2900's chassis."

Don't hold your breath. As a former Sony corporate drone, I speak with some experience regarding Sony's ability to bugger up a format. If Sony actually licences Denon to pass SACD down the link, I will be deeply shocked.

The business tempo here has been crazy stupid busy all week, so I haven't worked with the audio side yet. Maybe after the long weekend.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
That's all I've messed with...the audio.

I've looked at a couple of DVDs, but primarily, I've been doing A/B comparisons with my 2900 hooked up on the 5800's other 8 channel input. Works great for comparisons on the fly.

The redbook performance of the 3910 is a leap above that of the 2900 which I was never too happy with. SACD is a closer battle, but the 3910 still takes the edge and certainly, my DVD-As have never sounded better.

As far as SACD and Sony...if they can not come to a digital transfer agreement, you're right, they will ruin the format for the masses, just like BETA. The 3910 has it all, including firewire. Pretty exciting to think that in the future, one wire will connect it all:)

Jeremy

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I am grateful to Denon for supplying both a firewire and a Denon Digital Link cable in the box.

Just think, it's probably only going to be a week or two before Monster announces a new $399 DDL cable to solve all of our problems!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Where are you guys finding the 3910 for sale? A PM is fine if you'd rather not post dealer names here.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
At my work, obviously. But unless you live in Western Canada, that info won't be of much use.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Good Guys has them here. And Magnolia Hi Fi too. Lot's of little mom and pop joints too (although I'm not sure they've actually got units yet. The "big guys" get them 1st.).

Kaj

Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy, i shall be looking forward to your input with the results you find :) i hope you do a bit of video comparison as well.

cheers
KJ

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Where are you guys finding the 3910 for sale? A PM is fine if you'd rather not post dealer names here."

No secrets here. My local B&M had them (3) in on Wednesday of last week. Anchorage, AK is a primary hub for all of the shipping companies though (FedEx, UPS, etc.)

They may have stopped in Anchorage from Japan or Beijing before heading down to you guys. They should be all over the lower 48 this week.

"Jeremy, i shall be looking forward to your input with the results you find i hope you do a bit of video comparison as well."

Kaj,

The 5900 should be here this evening. I have a fantasy football draft, so I won't get a chance to do serious comparisons til tomorrow or Wednesday between it and the 5900. As far as video....where to begin????

I have owned the 2800, 2800MKII, and the 2900. The 3910 is much nicer than the others as far as video. I am not as much a video geek as I am audio, but the 3910 is stunning. I have a Mits 65819, the model before DVI, so I haven't been able to play with the digital links yet. As far as analog 480p though, it's unreal.

I just finished LOTR ROTK and the video is sooooo good, the CGI stands out. Open Range was absolutely gorgeous. Finding Nemo and Toy Story were some others as well as Fifth Element on Superbit. I can't wait til some of the pros...Stacy Spears, Secrets and the rest do some video testing, because this is the best my system has ever looked and sounded.

I'm surprised there is so little interest on HTF about this deck.

Jeremy

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy- I think all the interest is over on a bunch of threads at AVS! :)

I have a 47ai, but I'm looking to replace it with the 3910, the Integra 10.5, or the Marantz 9500. I have a slim hope Yamaha might have the successor to the 2300 out by the time I want to pull the trigger too. But basically if as a lot of people suggest, the 3910 is the 5900 in the 2900's box, and if macroblocking has been eliminated, then the 3910 looks like a winner to me.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Jeremy- I think all the interest is over on a bunch of threads at AVS!"

I hear ya. I actually re-registered at AVS so I could participate. I haven't been on that board in 5 years. Back in the day, this was the place to discuss the new offerings in HT...oh well:frowning:

Jeremy

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
it seems people around here dont want to drop $1300 for a player. if it was $199, it would be in every thead on this forum.

btw, i just ordered mine today, should get it in a week or two. my tv shows up anytime soon too (sony kv34hs420). im not much of a video guy, more audio guy, so its just a modest setup. i also am ordering the audioquest HDMI-3 (the highest they got right now) HDMI cable. we will see how well that does.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'm considering the 3910 as well. US$1,300? Ouch. I understand some shops here are selling it for just under S$1,700, about US1,000, so anyone visiting Singapore might want to take one of these puppies home -- and it'll be region free to boot :D

I guess HTF's focus tends to be more on the audio hardware, and the software, rather than video hardware? After all -- no disrespect to HTF, which is still my favourite place to hang out on the internet -- when I was doing research on plasmas, AVS was more informative. In contrast, when I first bought a "real" HT set-up (audio), this was the only place I needed to visit.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

No, I think there are just more beginners and entry-level shoppers here. I think its kind of funny that on this HOME THEATER forum, you mostly find talk of sub-$1k tv sets, playstation DVD players, and mini HTIBs - equipment that has no right being installed in an actual HOME THEATER.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have build respectable basic HTs for friends and family for under $2K (with quality used gear). It's not about how much it costs, it's about enjoying yourself. It's just like the fact that not everyone drives a Ferrari.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
No, its not the "cost" part I find amusing, it the "home theater" part. I guess my defination of an HT is different, and it doesnt include a 27" tv and a set of speakers in someone's bedroom. And there is noting wrong with an "entertainment" room, or a "media" room, or even a set of speakers in your bedroom, but this is the "home theater" forum, and thats funny.

As you say, not everyone has a Ferrari. Some have Neons. Neon and Ferrari owners (and those in-between) can all live happily together, but what leads them to post in the "4x4 Off-road Forum"?

Oh, and by the way, I dont have an HT. Its just a media room, and thats funny too!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

So if I have a Denon AVR-3805 and a RPTV with DVI... I wont be able use the DVI to the tv and D-Link to the 3805 simultaneus? Seems odd, since one is digital video and the other is digital audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks