What's new

Finally buying a new car (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Part of that, according to Case, is whether the car uses inefficient electric resistance heating or a much more efficient electric heat pump. Heat pumps work like air conditioners, moving heat instead of creating it — so they can be three to four times more efficient than other forms of heating.
Recurrent’s data compares cars like the Tesla Model Y — which comes standard with a heat pump — to cars like the Ford Mustang Mach-E, where no models offer a heat pump. According to the study, the Mustang loses almost 30 percent of its range at 20 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit, while the Model Y loses only about 15 percent.
“A car with a heat pump does much better when it drops down to freezing than one without,” Case said.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Electric bug is biting me.

I have some research to do
1673107485739.png

1673107213914.png

1673107263345.png

1673107363306.png

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A year or two ago I was thinking about upgrading cars earlier than usual and getting an EV around '22 or '23. But with availability -- Cadillac Lyriq 2023 pre-orders are full before end of '22 -- and prices and interest rates, I'm waiting another year at least. And current cars aren't >quite< what I want. The Mustang Mach E doesn't have a heat pump. The Tesla doesn't have CarPlay. Lyriq has weird door handles. And so on.

I'm hoping with the continued roll out of new models, like the coming Ionic 6, I'll find something that suits me in '24 or '25.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We have two vehicles, and the only one that would make any sense based on the current technology to replace with an EV would be my wife's car, as we use it mainly for local driving. However, her current ride is a 2019 Buick Encore with only about 18,000 miles. So, we are a long way off from needing to replace it.

We use my vehicle (2018 GM Acadia) for long trips, including a couple of round trips per year between Michigan and South Carolina. Until the battery and charging technology improves, an EV will not work as a replacement. The Acadia has a little over 50,000 miles, so we have a few years before it will need replaced. I'm not sure EV tech will have advanced enough by that time, though. Just have to wait and see.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Am I reading your cluster right? Showing the battery is 92%, and yet you only have a 53 mile range? Is that what needs to be looked at?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

minnieevans

Auditioning
Real Name
minnie evans
A year or two ago I was thinking about upgrading cars earlier than usual and getting an EV around '22 or '23. But with availability -- Cadillac Lyriq 2023 pre-orders are full before end of '22 -- and prices and interest rates, I'm waiting another year at least. And current cars aren't >quite< what I want. The Mustang Mach E doesn't have a heat pump. The Tesla doesn't have CarPlay. Lyriq has weird door handles. And so on.

I'm hoping with the continued roll out of new models, like the coming Ionic 6, I'll find something that suits me in '24 or '25.

I was in a similar boat last year, trying to decide whether to upgrade to an EV or not. There's so much to consider with all these new models coming out, and yeah, none of them seem to be the perfect fit yet. Funny story, while researching my options, I stumbled upon an article about the best states to buy a car and found out that some places actually have better deals on EVs due to state incentives and lower taxes. So, I thought, why not make a little road trip out of it when I finally decide to take the plunge? That way, I can save some cash and make a fun memory at the same time. 😄 But for now, I'm with you on waiting a bit longer. Fingers crossed that the perfect EV comes along in the next years. 🤞

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
while researching my options, I stumbled upon an article about the best states to buy a car and found out that some places actually have better deals on EVs due to state incentives and lower taxes. So, I thought, why not make a little road trip out of it when I finally decide to take the plunge? That way, I can save some cash and make a fun memory at the same time. 😄 But for now, I'm with you on waiting a bit longer. Fingers crossed that the perfect EV comes along in the next years. 🤞

Wonder if you have to prove residency or the like for those kinds of incentives though...

_Man_

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I made the final payment last month and she’s mine, all mine!

Still relatively young at 140,000 miles.

I thought about trading it in and getting something new since I’m doing so much driving for work, but I’ve decided to hold off for a few years and enjoy having an extra $300/mo in my pocket.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I made the final payment last month and she’s mine, all mine!

Still relatively young at 140,000 miles.

I thought about trading it in and getting something new since I’m doing so much driving for work, but I’ve decided to hold off for a few years and enjoy having an extra $300/mo in my pocket.
Yup, making double payments on my home and getting it paid off in 5 or 6 more years makes more sense to me than springing for a new car. I can wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks