What's new

Looking at New Cars (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
With almost 375,000 miles on my Celica, I have finally begun to experience mechanical issues. I replaced the alternator a few years ago and have had a small oil leak for a while. I just had to replace the power steering pump and I have to let the car warm up a good 10 minutes before I drive it now because, if I don’t, the transmission will not shift out of 1st gear. During my last oil change a couple weeks ago, the mechanic told me the front main is leaking oil pretty badly, as well as an o-ring at the timing chain tensioner. The cost to fix both leaks is right around $1200 and I just can’t see putting that kind of money into a car that old with that many miles on it. It’s been a solid, reliable ride for the past 17 years but I’ve decided it’s time to start looking to see what’s out there. I most likely will not be buying for another few months but I am going to be getting prices and doing test-drives if I see something I like.

This past week, I looked at a ton of different makes and models online and drove through a couple of dealerships after work to get a better look at certain ones. So far, I have three favorites that I am looking at more closely. In no particular order, they are:

2017 Kia Forte5 SX (1.6L 201hp automatic)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback (1.5L 174hp automatic)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan (1.5L 174hp automatic)

The big draw to all of these for me is that I like small cars with decent horsepower that get good gas mileage. I drive almost 100 miles a day round trip (mostly interstate) to work so good mpg is paramount in a car.

I plan on test-driving the Civics in the next week or two when I am out and have some free time but I’m going to have to wait on test-driving the Kia until a dealership in the state has one. Right now the closest Forte5 SX automatic to me is a four-hour drive to Oklahoma and that’s not happening. There are a few of the 2016 SXs in-state but they have a different transmission from the 2017 so the test wouldn't be that useful.

If anyone has experience with either the recent gen Civic or Forte5 (or other suggestions around $20,000 - $25,000 to look at), I would love to hear what you have to say. I’ll try to keep this thread updated as I make the journey into my next car purchase.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm also "looking". Have a '98 Monte Carlo, just turned 92,000 miles (obviously not a big driver), but it's time to change. I bought it new, but I'm looking at "slightly used" vehicles. The price difference between new and lightly used is amazing.

Do get things checked out if you're serious about a vehicle. Lots of "flood" cars will be showing up soon from California.

A friend bought a very nice Subaru, ended up spending thousands on repairs. Cosmetically it was great, but turns out it had come from the east coast, flooded with water from Hurricane Sandy. They made it look nice, but lots of underlying problems.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
From the OP is looks as if Clinton is looking to buy new so "flooded" cars from California aren't a concern.

Gees Stan makes it sound like California was under water which is far from accurate.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Johnny,

How you doing now-a-days, btw?

One of my besties drives a Prius. He is also employed by Apple and loves Star Wars and beer so his choice of autos is about the only thing we have ever disagreed about.

I looked at them when they first came out but I'm not a fan of how they look. The prototype of one of the Prius models (I forget which, it's been close to 10 years) looked really good when they first revealed it, then they went and made a cheese wedge out of it. Close to 90% of my driving will be interstate, a place where the Prius has little, if any, mpg advantage over other cars. The only Toyotas I like the look of now are the 86 (impractical but fun as hell to drive), the Corolla (dull, dull, dull) and the Camry (big and dull, dull, dull). The 2018 Camry prototype looks killer on the outside but the interior was designed by a drunk sociopath.

I do appreciate the suggestion for the Prius, though.

Keep them coming everyone!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
From the OP is looks as if Clinton is looking to buy new so "flooded" cars from California aren't a concern.

Gees Stan makes it sound like California was under water which is far from accurate.
Nothing negative towards California, more of a generic warning for people to truly get things checked out.

Lots of news stories and photos just for ratings, probably exaggerated what really happened. Good to hear from somebody who was there and knows the truth.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Close to 90% of my driving will be interstate, a place where the Prius has little, if any, mpg advantage over other cars.
You sure about that? The hybrid Accord claims 47mpg highway versus the Non-hybrid Civic's 39mpg highway. The Prius claims 50+ mpg highway. That's a >20% benefit from hybrid, if the mileage numbers are real.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ever think about going used (Certified perhaps) and getting a 2015 or 16 Chevy Volt? Highly rated and can be had for around your price range, if not below it.

Top end models are very well loaded with features.

1200px-DCA_06_2012_Chevy_Volt_4035.JPG

1404154875103.jpg

2014-camaro-interior-back-seat-2014-volt-electric-car---interior-photos-chevrolet.jpg

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was reading about the new Chevy Bolt earlier today, but I think it starts around $30,000 (after the $7000 government rebate). Fully electric, 238 mile range, and 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. By the time I'm looking for a new car, it'll probably be on my list. Not much cargo space, though.

2017-Chevy-Bolt-EV-rear-626x382.jpg

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You sure about that? The hybrid Accord claims 47mpg highway versus the Non-hybrid Civic's 39mpg highway. The Prius claims 50+ mpg highway. That's a >20% benefit from hybrid, if the mileage numbers are real.

That's a big if! :)

I think the Prius has to use a lot of gas to maintain highway speeds. Fun highway speeds, that is.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yeah you maybe have a 1 or 2 foot deep cargo space to utilize in that lil thing.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I believe the Cruze will be offered with a hatchback configuration along with the option of a diesel soon (or already available). The Cruze had excellent reviews so far. Mileage should be pretty high with the diesel.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Absolutely. The fuel savings of the Prius is cancelled out by the lower price of the civic. I looked at a Subaru WRX today. Fantastic car but entry level is more money than I want to spend.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm in a similar boat - only mine was totalled (woman ran a red light and t-boned me, taking out my 06 Elantra with only 90,000 miles). I've been looking at another Elantra as I was very pleased with the one I had. Most of my driving is around town with the occasional trip to Texas to see my son (~11 hours away). I've also looked at the Sonata but don't need or want one that large as I, too, prefer smaller cars. The only downside to the Elantra is it no longer comes with a CD player. It's been replaced with a touch screen piece of junk (satellite radio and phone interfaces I'll never use). If I go that route it'll be replaced just as soon as Crutchfield has a wiring harness (right now it's a splice job and I don't want to mess with that - not that I can't do it just that I don't want to. I do all stereo installs myself).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It probably has a USB port -- grab a 128 GB USB stick and rip all of your CDs to it. Then you have instant access to your entire collection!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yep, I wouldn't waste time looking for a car with a cd player, not worth it when there are so many better options now (usb drive etc). Especially when a cd only holds what, a handful of songs anyway?? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks