What's new

Finally! Apple Music Classical (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... at first, it sounded like it *might* come w/ some add-on fee on top of Apple Music, but by the end of that list, we find out there's no additional fee (at least initially anyway).

Kinda odd to only support iPhone, not iPad or AppleTV, et al... but maybe that's just a (very) temp thing. Wonder what happens if/when I try to Airplay from that new app (on my phone) to my ATV4K, which I often do these days. Currently, the ATV4K seems to completely take over the streaming in whatever lossless audio available and just provide playback feedback w/ basic (if occasionally clunky) control to the iPhone if it remains connected -- yeah, I've tried disconnecting (and reconnecting) my iPhone to see what happens w/ playback.

_Man_

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Been rumored for well over a year now. Finally going to see a release and is part of the higher Apple Music subscription tier

Fascinating Mr Spock.gif

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... at first, it sounded like it *might* come w/ some add-on fee on top of Apple Music, but by the end of that list, we find out there's no additional fee (at least initially anyway).

Kinda odd to only support iPhone, not iPad or AppleTV, et al... but maybe that's just a (very) temp thing. Wonder what happens if/when I try to Airplay from that new app (on my phone) to my ATV4K, which I often do these days. Currently, the ATV4K seems to completely take over the streaming in whatever lossless audio available and just provide playback feedback w/ basic (if occasionally clunky) control to the iPhone if it remains connected -- yeah, I've tried disconnecting (and reconnecting) my iPhone to see what happens w/ playback.

_Man_
?? I found out about it yesterday from my iPad’s Music App, which guided me to preorder it on the iPad. Hopefully it will run on the iPad, if that’s the case? Plenty of senior citizens listen to classical music, but depend on using an iPad because of it bigger screen — it would be completely bizarre if Apple doesn’t get that.

I’ve been patiently waiting for it since Apple bought Primephonic, the iTunes handling of classical music has always been less than ideal.

So far as “additional fee”??? Why? This isn’t about getting more money from Apple Music subscribers, it is fixing the bad existing UI for classical musics. I just found out it is even worse with Spotify that doesn’t even have a “Composer” tab — clearly no one at Spotify listens to classical music if they have such blatant omission.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So far as “additional fee”??? Why? This isn’t about getting more money from Apple Music subscribers, it is fixing the bad existing UI for classical musics. I just found out it is even worse with Spotify that doesn’t even have a “Composer” tab — clearly no one at Spotify listens to classical music if they have such blatant omission.

I forget exactly why I thought there *might* be some additional fee (at some point) -- and yeah, quickly going over that MacRumors article again doesn't quite remind me why.

Maybe it was just Ron's remark that it's "part of the higher Apple Music subscription tier" that threw me somewhat into thinking that way. In the article, they only mention the $5/month Apple Music Voice plan won't support/include this -- I have no experience/knowledge/interest re: that option/plan, but I'm guessing there's simply not much overlap between classical music demand and karaoke anyway, hehheh... although maybe if Apple started offering Chinese operas... ;):P

_Man_

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I forget exactly why I thought there *might* be some additional fee (at some point) -- and yeah, quickly going over that MacRumors article again doesn't quite remind me why.

Maybe it was just Ron's remark that it's "part of the higher Apple Music subscription tier" that threw me somewhat into thinking that way. In the article, they only mention the $5/month Apple Music Voice plan won't support/include this -- I have no experience/knowledge/interest re: that option/plan, but I'm guessing there's simply not much overlap between classical music demand and karaoke anyway, hehheh... although maybe if Apple started offering Chinese operas... ;):P

_Man_

The Apple Music Voice plan isn't a karaoke plan, and it doesn't include "Apple Music Sing, with beat-by-beat lyrics and adjustable vocals" – the way all of the other Apple Music plans do.

It's the one that you can only control with Siri; that doesn't support offline listening; and that doesn't have a "full catalog in lossless audio." Possibly Apple's response to the $4/month Amazon Music plan that's tied to a single Echo Show device.

https://www.apple.com/apple-music/

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
?? I found out about it yesterday from my iPad’s Music App, which guided me to preorder it on the iPad. Hopefully it will run on the iPad, if that’s the case? Plenty of senior citizens listen to classical music, but depend on using an iPad because of it bigger screen — it would be completely bizarre if Apple doesn’t get that.

I’ve been patiently waiting for it since Apple bought Primephonic, the iTunes handling of classical music has always been less than ideal.

I signed up for the free first month of Apple Music this morning in order to take this Classical app for a spin. A co-worker loves Spotify, and I cannot seem to make him understand that classical music listeners don't listen to their music as "songs"; we listen to complete symphonies, concertos, etc.

I like how the Apple Classical app is very album-centric. I started out looking for Mozart's Jupiter Symphony conducted by George Szell, and settled on an album of his that also included symphonies 40 and 35. I did a search for Johann Friedrich Fasch Overtures and am currently listening to an album of the same. I hope to find out in this month if this is something I want to stick with. However, I am not too keen on plying music while driving via my iPhone and I don't want to wear out the phone's battery.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... anyone else finding this new app can't/won't recognize/include your own ripped classical music in its "library"?

I only see the albums added/downloaded from Apple Music, not any of my own ripped (classical) albums...

_Man_

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hmmm... anyone else finding this new app can't/won't recognize/include your own ripped classical music in its "library"?

I only see the albums added/downloaded from Apple Music, not any of my own ripped (classical) albums...

_Man_
I don't see any of the albums I have ripped myself or downloaded from iTunes. It's like the Classical app is entirely independent. If there is a way to synch or import things, but I have not figured it out. I have been adding albums from the app to my library/playlists in the new app, but none of my previous stuff is there.

I never had the subscription version of the regular Apple music app. I merely used it for my own stuff.

---Update---

Just noticed there is a synch button in the default music app. I clicked on it, and the classical things I added to playlists in the Classical app is now in the standard Music App. In the Classical I am now seeing what you are seeing. My iTunes purchased albums are there, but not my album rips.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Good detailed article:
What a great article! Goes into great detail about why the app was needed for classical, and all the bugs and shortcomings of the app. I hope the author is correct and that this is version 1.0 with improvements/fixes to come.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Indeed! I have numerous ripped classical albums that don’t exist in Apple Music and I listen the most when traveling abroad using only downloaded music

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry for hijacking the classical thread, doesn't look like we have a straight Apple Music thread any more.

Anyone ever figured out a way to get Apple Music to once again sort by Date Added without putting everything into a giant ass dumb playlist?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks