What's new

Film Locations You Most Want To Visit (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In everyone's life, there has been a film that had locations which inspired us all.
Some films we just can't shake. We must make that pilgrimage.

I, myself, long to travel to the Austrian locales used in "The Sound of Music" and The West Coast of Ireland, as seen in "Ryan's Daughter".

What is on your wish list?

Name the film locations(s) that you most want to visit within your lifetime.
If the goal has already been achieved, then please drop in and share those experiences, as well.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've been to most of the Sound of Music locations around Salzburg, including the church in Mondsee where Maria and Georg's wedding took place. I've even been to that ledge above town where several scenes were shot.

And I've been to that historic graveyard where the opening and closing scenes of The Third Man were shot. But I really went there to pay my respects in the Musician's Corner where Beethoven, Brahms, and many Strauses are buried.

I spent a month in Sicily once and saw many of the places where the campaigns in Patton were shot.

Living in California most of my life I've seen places there too numerous to mention that featured in the movies.

Reactions: PMF

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I was always fascinated by the "Red China" island where Scaramanga lives in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, and vowed to visit as soon as politics permitted. In time I figured out that the location was in Thailand, not in China, and in 1990, there I was, on "James Bond Island." I'd had that dream since about 1977. (Beautiful place, too.)

Still would like to see Sardinia, as featured in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

I've been fortunate to live in the real-life film sets that are Hong Kong, Chicago, and New York (ten years in Manhattan, 11 and counting in Brooklyn). I live a block away from what was the bakery in MOONSTRUCK (it was really named Cammareri's); one block in the other direction are the D.C.-area "slums," as seen on THE AMERICANS (pretty expensive slums!). Around the corner is an Italian restaurant used in the Boston-set THE DEPARTED; not too far away, beneath the Smith/9th St. F train subway station, is where Lorraine Bracco had her almost fateful rendezvous with Robert DeNiro in GOODFELLAS. Saiorse Ronan lived just a few streets over in BROOKLYN. And so on.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I recently also made it to Vienna and went on the Third Man trail around the city. It was one of the best holidays I've ever had. Along with my partner, we endevoured to recreated some of the iconic moments from one of my most favourite films. There's a stupendous Third Man museum, which contains a dazzling amount of artifacts and memorabilla. Suprisingly, the film itself is not beloved in Austria. There was a huge amount of interest when it was being shot. But when it was released it was met with a certain amount of disdain. Many Austrians felt it made them all look like greedy black marketeers.
Harry's Grave.jpg
Harry's hiding place.JPG
Third Women.jpg
Harrys Flat.jpg
In the shadows.JPG

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Most of the filming locations that I'd really like to see are gone (1950's to 1970's New York City and Los Angeles) or pretty drastically changed by now so it'd be cool but it wouldn't quite be the same.

In the realm of places that I might actually go to, I'd like to see the Pasadena, CA neighborhoods where they shot Halloween. And in the realm of places where I'll never go (I don't even like leaving my house let alone the country), there's Tunisia where they shot Star Wars.

For horror movie fans, there's a periodic feature in Horror Hound magazine where they show you what filming locations look like today. It's basically a print version of the same thing that's on a number of Scream Factory Blu-rays but they aren't limited to a movie that Shout can license.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Castle Anthrax ;)

Somewhere In Time's Macinaw Island, Mama Mia's Greek Isles, North By Northwest's Mount Rushmore,

I've been to Mackinac Island many times -- will be going again this summer. You can see some of the photos from my trips in this HTF thread. I've also been to Mount Rushmore twice -- once in the 1970's when the original Visitor's Center featured in North by Northwest was still there, and once with the new Visitor's Center.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Oh yeah, Salzburg is totally worth the trip.

Years ago, I also took the "Third Man" themed tour, including the Vienna sewer(!).

https://www.drittemanntour.at/en/index.html

I think there's more to it, now. I don't recall a museum. (But that might just be my memory going.)

According to the Lionsgate Bluray it's some Austrian guy who just started a museum ...
There's also an "Interactive Tour"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thats an interesting question, I'd need to think about it.

I did live in one movie location.

Was born and raised in the neighborhood Rocky was filmed at. Kensington Philadelphia

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks