What's new

Fear the Walking Dead Season 2 (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
kicked off tonight and settled into this new world, still feeling out the basics of the world, with the wrong consequences, seriously at this point trust no one.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's a frustrating show in certain ways because the characters still have to learn the lessons we already learned with the original group on the mothership.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
My love of TWD is making me watch this, but I still find the show frustrating. And so much bad writing. I have to bullet point the scene which annoyed me the most:

- The Gang is sitting down to a nice dinner and they hear a splash
- Grieving son jumped in the water (suicide?) and everyone runs to check
- Nick dives in the save him
- He catches up with the son who just says "I wanted to swim." There is no communication past that. No, WTF dude! No, dude, you alright? No, c'mon let's get back to the boat. Nothing.
- Instead Nick floats around in the water for a while.
- The Gang stands on the boat looking out over the water. Did they even ask if the son was ok? Did they forget dinner was being served? They just stand there.
- The son becomes irrelevant and is ignored for the rest of the episode.

I would almost question the logic of grabbing the log book from the flipped boat except it's clearly going to give backstory, but it's a weird thing for Nick to risk his life to grab.

The only parts of the episode I enjoyed were the daughter talking to the guy over the radio. Despite it coming off like a teen romance (guys! he sounds really cute and he's super nice, let's go help him!) you knew he was pumping her for information and this would end badly. And, of course, said super nice guy now charging towards them.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I find myself enjoying FtWD more than the parent show, mostly because we dont know where it's going. Consider the ending just two weeks past. Everyone for months had been bigging Negan up - "Oh he's so badass! He is gonna fuck some shit up with his bat! This is going to be AWESOME!", but when his debut lands with a thud, everyone gets super pissed.

We don't have that here. Will they stay on the boat? Will they find a safe place to land? Who will live and who will die?

Plus it's refreshing to see a show where the characters live in a world where characters didn't have the knowledge that we do and can't depend on the established zombie world tropes. Not everybody is bitter and cynical and ultra-violent.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I find myself enjoying FtWD more than the parent show, mostly because we dont know where it's going. Consider the ending just two weeks past. Everyone for months had been bigging Negan up - "Oh he's so badass! He is gonna fuck some shit up with his bat! This is going to be AWESOME!", but when his debut lands with a thud, everyone gets super pissed.
I completely agree that the lack of knowledge of what might or will come makes this show exciting but I do have to say that Negan was awesome and that one scene tells me that Jeffrey Dean Morgan is going to be great in the role. It was the cliffhanger that sucked and the shame of it is that the cliffhanger completely overshadowed JDM's terrific intro.

I probably said it a million times last season but I like this show's depiction of the collapse of society and the danger that that presents. Since it's still early on, the show doesn't need a diabolical arch villain like The Governor or cannibals or Negan to be scary because at this point, anyone could be alive and look non-threatening or pretend to be an ally and then cut your throat.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Everyone for months had been bigging Negan up - "Oh he's so badass! He is gonna fuck some shit up with his bat! This is going to be AWESOME!", but when his debut lands with a thud, everyone gets super pissed.
I must have watched a different finale. I know people were pissed about the "cliff hanger" (I wasn't one of them), but Negan's introduction was anything but a thud (unless you're referring to the thud of Lucille).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My love of TWD is making me watch this, but I still find the show frustrating. And so much bad writing. I have to bullet point the scene which annoyed me the most:

- The Gang is sitting down to a nice dinner and they hear a splash
- Grieving son jumped in the water (suicide?) and everyone runs to check
- Nick dives in the save him
- He catches up with the son who just says "I wanted to swim." There is no communication past that. No, WTF dude! No, dude, you alright? No, c'mon let's get back to the boat. Nothing.
- Instead Nick floats around in the water for a while.
- The Gang stands on the boat looking out over the water. Did they even ask if the son was ok? Did they forget dinner was being served? They just stand there.
- The son becomes irrelevant and is ignored for the rest of the episode.

I would almost question the logic of grabbing the log book from the flipped boat except it's clearly going to give backstory, but it's a weird thing for Nick to risk his life to grab.

The only parts of the episode I enjoyed were the daughter talking to the guy over the radio. Despite it coming off like a teen romance (guys! he sounds really cute and he's super nice, let's go help him!) you knew he was pumping her for information and this would end badly. And, of course, said super nice guy now charging towards them.

Also thought it was odd that it was mentioned somewhere in the episode that they had no supplies (luckily a desalinization system) and yet they sit down to a nice gourmet meal? Granted, it was fresh eel, but they're hardly starving.

Beginning to wonder if this will turn into a bizarre version of "The Last Ship". Finding places to refuel and stock supplies, endlessly roaming the ocean.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show is in a weird fallow point at the moment, where it no longer has the fascination of the world descending into chaos going for it, but hasn't yet developed story of its own yet in the full-fledged zombie apocalypse.

Chris being forced to kill the man in the plane will hopefully put him on the path to understanding and forgiving his father, so we don't have to spend three-quarters of his screen time being sullen and nasty.

Just when I think Alicia's coming around to the new way of things, kicking zombie ass with that shard of metal, she's the one outraged that they're not taking the certain-to-die-soon boy and the woman who is unreasonably devoted to protecting him on board. After her fuck up with the radio, she really needs to keep her opinions to herself and lay low for a while.

Nick figures out that coating one's self in walker gore is a good way to pass undetected through a horde.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
This was a strangely edited episode - almost as if whoever edited it had never edited a TV show before. There were several "huh?" moments, but the one that comes to mind right now was when we first see the dude in the boat engine who lashes out at Travis - cut to commercial. Then next time we see Travis he's back up on the boat working with the filtration system.

Nick figures out that coating one's self in walker gore is a good way to pass undetected through a horde.
And it only took Rick and gang a year and a half to figure that out!

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
And it only took Rick and gang a year and a half to figure that out!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic and I'm just oblivious or if you forgot that Rick and the gang used this early in the first season when they needed to get out of the department store in downtown Atlanta. May have been as early as ep 3 or 4.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic and I'm just oblivious or if you forgot that Rick and the gang used this early in the first season when they needed to get out of the department store in downtown Atlanta. May have been as early as ep 3 or 4.
Ah okay, I don't remember that long ago. I only remember them doing it this past season. Which begs the question, if they knew it worked that early on, why don't they use that technique more often? I suppose it's not as dramatic for TV purposes to just have a dude walking alongside a zombie versus them having to worry about being attacked. It's almost as if by making that a plausible defense, the writers have kind of backed themselves into a corner (now for both shows).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Yeah, I'm a big fan of the slow burn but even I think they need to get things moving a little bit more. I'm not asking for anything crazy like a tank assault on a prison just a little bit more action or excitement.

Also, I was waiting for Ben Gardner's head to pop out when Travis was scuba diving underneath the boat.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^Yeah, I think most people feel that way. But there are some out there who love this...

The story just isn't compelling yet. It's been two episodes since we've heard anything about the ship that's apparently coming after them. Is that still a threat? Did they drop that story?

Nick got over his drug addiction pretty damn fast. Every time I see him rooting through a medicine cabinet or a piece of luggage my first thought is he's looking for his next high, but the way things play out it seems the writers just want him to have a history of drug abuse, not to be an addict. If that's the case they should have started the series with him well into recovering.

The only thing I'm kind of interested in, and I doubt they will go this way, is Chris apparently looking for walkers to kill. He got a thrill stabbing them through the fence and he was looking to relive that. It would be interesting if this turned him homicidal. Maybe he secretly got a thrill killing that guy on the plane...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nick got over his drug addiction pretty damn fast. Every time I see him rooting through a medicine cabinet or a piece of luggage my first thought is he's looking for his next high, but the way things play out it seems the writers just want him to have a history of drug abuse, not to be an addict. If that's the case they should have started the series with him well into recovering.
Remember, we're only a couple days out from the first season finale. Maddie's got (I believe) a stash of oxy hidden, and she's giving him enough to stave off withdrawal but not enough to get a satisfying high. I would guess he was looking for his next high, but found antibiotics for Ruben Blades's daughter instead.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've queued the show up on the DVR but remain undecided on continuing or not after season one. Based on some sampling of this thread it looks like I would be pretty annoyed with the pace and the writing. It seems like it would be frustrating to watch the characters rediscovering aspects of the apocalypse known to viewers of TWD, unless the show can offer some fresh perspectives on how the group struggles to survive. (Still undecided. *sigh*)

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Remember, we're only a couple days out from the first season finale.
And didn't the first season take place over a few weeks or close to a month? If I remember correctly, the first 3 or so episodes took place over a few days but then there was a jump of a week or two (time where Nick was detoxing) when the army had the group fenced in, etc. for the second half of the season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And didn't the first season take place over a few weeks or close to a month? If I remember correctly, the first 3 or so episodes took place over a few days but then there was a jump of a week or two (time where Nick was detoxing) when the army had the group fenced in, etc. for the second half of the season.
Yes, I think it was a nine-day time jump between the arrival of the military at the end of episode 3, and the start of episode 4 with the occupation already in place. From there, I think it's another week or so until Operation Cobalt.

So we are theoretically still within the first three weeks of the start of the zombie outbreak. On the other coast, Rick will probably still be in his coma for another week or two.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure people will grumble about them letting people on the boat but it takes a pretty hard bastard to shoot a pregnant woman and a guy screaming about her bleeding.

I liked the sick idea of Madison creating fear in the pregnant girl's head that the baby is dead and will be a walker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks