What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Favorite Supporting/Character Actors (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ron1973 said:
I don't think we paid attention to things of that nature when we were younger. I was too wrapped up in the show to notice details. Now with the DVD releases I notice things. Heck, having a higher resolution TV changes the game for the episodes I have on VHS but that's another story for another post.
On this note Ron, CBS is due to announce their July releases this coming week. Fingers crossed that the rumoured season 5 set will be formalized.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Frank Soyke said:
On this note Ron, CBS is due to announce their July releases this coming week. Fingers crossed that the rumoured season 5 set will be formalized.
A friend on FB said it's more than a rumor, that both it and Petticoat Junction would be out. I've started recording PJ on the DVR as a precaution. I know they're time sped but it's better than butchered like their prints of TBH.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Let me clarify that he didn't give a date

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Another actor I always love seeing is Ronnie Schell.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I don't think Ted deCorsia has been mentioned, xcellent as the heavy in several films noir like The Naked City, The Big Combo, Slightly Scarlet and Crime Wave.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As we seem to be concentrating on many obscure-ish actors, I'd like to add John Dehner. He often plays heavies, usually in westerns. Sometimes he would play a dignified good guy. One of my favorite of his baddie roles was as one of the gunmen riding with Broderick Crawford in The Fastest Gun Alive. He was also the radio voice of Paladin in Have Gun Will Travel. I didn't recognize him in one role without his mustache-that of the fencing master in the Stewart Granger version of Scaramouche.

john dehner.jpg

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
William Windom, he was in everything. Other faves (US shows); Joseph Campanella, Richard Lynch, Peter Mark Richman, Kent Smith, Phillip Pine, Paul Stewart, Gage Clarke, Henry Hull, Joel Fabiani, Andrew Duggan, Richard O'Brien, Clu Gulager, Alfred Ryder, John Larch, Tim O'Connor, Paul Sorensen, Burr deBenning, Richard Carlson, Hank Brandt, Ed Nelson, Simon Scott, Don Gordon, Bradford Dillman, Henry Daniell, Robert Webber, Paul Burke, Arthur Franz, Gary Collins, Roy Jenson, Lee de Broux, Kenneth Tobey, Whit Bissell, Philip Abbott, John Zaremba, Jonathan Goldsmith/Lippe.

Gordberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Gordon
It would look like a "best of" after all of the great names have been mentioned by now, and I'm sure I'll remember some more later on:

1) John Fiedler
2) Peter Mark Richman
3) John Crawford
4) Nehemiah Persoff
5) Warren Stevens
6) Alfred Ryder
7) William Windom
8) Whit Bissell
9) John Hoyt
10) Malachi Throne
11) Phillip Pine

12) Lee Bergere

13) David Opatoshu

14) G. B. /Barry Atwater

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I enjoy any appearances by Harry Dean Stanton, Warren Oates, and L.Q. Jones. Just saw William Watson in a Hawaii Five-O--he's another actor who turns up in several series.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Dick O'Neill

James Karen

James Gregory

Ian Wolfe

Marvin Kaplan

Oliver Clark

Edie McClurg

Ben Piazza

Bill Cobbs

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Character actors I've gotten autographs from:

Lotte Lenya

Whit Bissell

Martin Balsam

Brock Peters

Stacy Keach

Character actors I've met or spoken to:

Christopher Plummer

Bruce Dern

William Prince (on the subway!)

Roger E. Mosley (on the set of "Kung Fu")

Ossie Davis

Joe E. Marks (Pappy Yocum in LI'L ABNER)

Character actors I've seen:

Jason Robards

Kevin McCarthy

Barbara Barrie

James Karen

Antonio Fargas

Scott Glenn

Frank Gorshin

Jonathan Harris

John Beal

P.S. Cameron Mitchell

Character actors I went to high school with:

Keith David

At least those are the ones I remember... ^_^

I've been to numerous Comic cons and memorabilia shows, so there are probably a few more in there.

My friend Theresa, an old film school classmate of mine, goes to the TCM festivals every year in L.A. and blogs about all the people she sees there. This year she got to see and say hello to Peggy Cummins, star of GUN CRAZY (1950).

https://cinemavensessaysfromthecouch.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/gun-crazy-a-pistol-packin-mama/

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
James Hong

And more than one waning McMillan and Wife episode was revitalized by the appearance of Nancy Walker.

It's surprising how often we'll see someone and look them up on IMDB and a day or two later see the same person in another rerun.

We were watching The Six Million Dollar Man and I thought that one of the actors looked a lot like Les Moonves. Turned out it was. Then the next day we watched a Gemini Man and Les Moonves showed up again! He's only got 7 credits!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I agree about Mabel Albertson, Jack's sister, mentioned in the post above. She was excellent as Mrs. Phyllis Stephens in Bewitched. "Frank, I'm getting a sick headache". Loved her in the movie What's Up, Doc?. Hilarious, especially when she's being tripped down the hotel hallway repeatedly. "Use your charm".

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
If you are talkin female character actors, not too many more prolific in the 60's than Jane Dulo and Reta Shaw

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
MishaLauenstein said:
James Hong

And more than one waning McMillan and Wife episode was revitalized by the appearance of Nancy Walker.

It's surprising how often we'll see someone and look them up on IMDB and a day or two later see the same person in another rerun.

We were watching The Six Million Dollar Man and I thought that one of the actors looked a lot like Les Moonves. Turned out it was. Then the next day we watched a Gemini Man and Les Moonves showed up again! He's only got 7 credits!

James Hong is still acting, too. Been at it 60 years!

Oh, and I had no idea Les Moonves (head of CBS) started out as an actor.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Bert Freed, tough guy but capable of more in films like Where the Sidewalk Ends, Madigan, Fate is the Hunter, any number of westerns.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Frank Soyke said:

I don't see anything about this on TVShowsOnDVD.com what did CBS announce for their July releases this week? Or is today the big day for this announcement?

I hope it's season 4 of Petticoat Junction. Sadly, that one returned to the stalled category a couple of days ago as far as I'm concerned, when the 1 year anniversary of season 3's wide retail release came and went without any news.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
You didn't miss it. There was no announcement. Historically, CBS announced their upcoming releases the second Tuesday of each month but the past 9 months or so, they have been hit and miss with it. (mostly miss). They haven't announced their July releases yet as expected but I am hoping the rumored Hillbillies season 5 set materializes as this is the only show left on their possible release roster I have any real interest in. Im not a big western fan and since there seems to be little chance they are going to do anything more with My Three Sons, Cannon, or Barnaby Jones, a couple more seasons of BH is all Im hoping for from them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks