What's new

Favorite music and speakers used? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm just curious, what kind of music do people here listen to most, genre, band, whatever, and what kind of speakers do you use? brand, tower or monitor, model # of your mains?
Never thought I'd read the "polls" section of the forum, but look! two posts in one night!!
------------------
McPaul.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Interesting topic I must say. Something that I too am rather curious about.
These days I find myself listening to more and more country. Call me a hick, but there's something rather peaceful about the lyrics and music that I enjoy immensely. I'm still a rock and roller at heart so I'll never stop listening to my favorites- Rush, Dave Matthews, Dream Theater, Soundgarden, Van Halen and the few songs that my current band "Redd Shift" (Redd isn't a typo) has on CD. Yeah I realize that's somewhat self indulgent, but I really love the stuff we write. It kind of grabs you by the booboo. :)
Oh, I have JBL home speakers but I really don't listen to music that much on them. They're mostly used for home theater. I do the majority of my music listening on my truck system. Alpine, Clarion, Rockford Fosgate, and JL Audio.
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"
[Edited last by Kevin Potts on November 12, 2001 at 10:11 PM]

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I listen mainly to film scores and classical, but I'll listen to some rock and pop occasionally. My speakers are the mighty NHT 3.3s.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I listen to any and everything but Rap and Country both of which make me
smiley_puke.gif

I have Klipsch Reference Series speakers.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I have gone through many phases of music listening. I get into the groove of a new sound and buy up a bunch of discs. Eventually, it wanes and I pick up on something else. The good news is that I still enjoy the music and have come to conclude that I like just about "everything".
The kick I have been on the last year or so is that of a folk-rock sound. I know exactly where this comes from(it has been over 10 years in the making), the day I purchased REM's "out of time". Its amazing how good that folk rock can sound, that whole accoustic thing can be incredible. I love detail and I hear much of it in Julie Millers "Blue Pony".
The speakers I use are Mirage OM 10s wired to an overly bright amp. I preferred the softer sound of the sony but am looking forward to the day when I get a good 5.1 reciever.
But by then, I'll probably be listening to something completly different.
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My musical tastes vary from R&B, latin, hip hop, dancehall, and jazz. My speakers are the PSB century 300i used in conjunction with the subsonic 6 for music.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm into a jazz phase now. I've been collecting various types of jazz music and I play them on my music only system that uses Norh 5.2 speakers.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Seung Kim

Agent
I will be one of the oddballs out there. I love Classical and Progressive Trance Techno.
From Beethoven to Paul Van Dyk will do just fine!
I have Martin Logan Aerius i's as mains and Sunfire True Subwoofer.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Lately with all the crap going on in the world; I have been on a Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band , Harry Nilsson kick...both make me smile and not a lot does that right now
If you like Monty Python you'll probably like the Bonzos.
I have mostly KEFs; 5 x Q75s in the main with a 20B sub and the C series in the bedroom..BAs in most of the other rooms
------------------
"My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy classic rock. But, I have a pretty wide range of music I enjoy.
The music that sounds best on my Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers is classical and new age. I did some "critical" listening last night, I still love my Monitor Audio speakers!

JohanK

Second Unit
I run older Polks and listen to metal from the likes of System of a Down, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Zombie, Powerman5000, etc. and techno from Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Darude, ATB, Delerium, Prodigy, etc.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I listen to classic rock, modern rock, blues, jazz and classical through my B&W N805s with SVS 20-39PC.
I avoid most country, rap, metal and adult contemporary.
But when it comes to spending the money on a SACD and sitting down for a good listen, I lean toward jazz fusion.
Grant,
Ya got a light, Mack?
[Edited last by Jim_F on November 15, 2001 at 03:10 PM]

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Little bit of everything except for hardcore (ironically I'll be running sound at a hardcore concert tomorrow), opera, and rap. Depends upon what I'm in the mood for. Also listen to a lot of talk radio (mostly in the car, but enjoy Art Bell :)).
For the speakers, nOrh wood 5.1s or ceramic 4.0s (5.1s are currently breaking in so I use them as my mains in both systems - fairly easy to swap them in and out), and SVS 20-39CS w/S700 amp.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I've been on a DVD-Audio kick lately with American Beauty and Rumors. But I've also been purchasing and enjoying some re-mastered stuff from the early 70's such as:
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
Fronts are Snell, Model J's (early 80's) with a Paradium PS-1000 sub.
[Edited last by John Tillman on November 15, 2001 at 05:21 PM]

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Music: R&B, some Hip-Hop, some Rap
Speakers:
Fronts: Walnut Klipschorns
Subwoofer: SVS 16-46PC
------------------
"A film, by Oleg Razgul"
"How was that?"
"That was great"

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i listen to pretty much the same metal bands as johank (ie...slipknot, mudvayne, coal chamber, nin, manson, ministry...) but i also enjoy older alternative rock like nirvana, pearl jam, toadies, weezer (blue album), and toadies with a smattering of techno from aphex twin and orbital and a pinch of techno/industrial from pig and kmfdm.

i use mirage frx-7 speakers.

kevin t

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
I mostly listen to metal/alternative/punk type stuff, but also classic rock stuff, 50s and 60s, classical - but almost no rap, no country, and none of the dance/radio hits junk.

This is with Paradigm Monitor 7s, v.2 and a PDR-10 (by spring a SVS I hope).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks