What's new

Favorite/best job ever...... (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Some of us older folks have had several jobs throughout our lifetime and often refer to one of'em as a "favorite".
Looking back, there was one job that stands out as the best job I ever had.

In 1982, I was hired by a major chemical co. to be an on-site service consultant to General Motors in the chemical pretreatment area. Although I was based in Texas, this job soon led me to travel extensively to other General Motors facilities nationwide to consult and advise on pretreatments. I have to tell you, it was GREAT!

Funny, I was the only southerner in our division of a northern based company and had loads of fun whenever I was in our Detroit area main office. The secretaries always wanted to take me to lunch just to hear me "read the menu"....LOL

I made a lot of friends at GM and they are still the persons I remember the most. Some of them later became high-ups such as plant managers. I later left the company for a new job in my home Tennessee area after my grandfather became ill and I felt the need to be closer. Those days traveling for that company were the best I ever had........and although the move was for the best of intentions, I still miss that job.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
In the words of U2:

"I still haven't found what I'm looking for..."

:)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Tower Records in Anaheim, Ca.

Late nights, parties, cheap or free music, met some famous people(in-stores), LaserDisc and plenty of hallucinogens. Good Times

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I know, huh. If only I could survive on that kind of salary today.

Can't believe that it's been near 20 years. A fellow HTF member here stocked in the very first LD's. I was his assistant(of sort). He was responsible for showing me what widescreen, and surround was all about. My very roots of HT.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I have hated every job I have had.
However, I have had very cool bosses.

At one one job my boss and I would go see movies on lunch.
Another job we would all sync our computers and play "Delta Force" when it was slow. The office sounded like a war zone.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
My favorite job was as a telecom analyst for one of those start-up's during the dot com boom. Everyone there was really into producing a quality product for our big-time clients (MCI, Sprint, etc...) and management was great. The whole company was a team in sync to deliver a valued database. The CEO even took me to lunch when I first started. Our office was located behind PacBell Park in San Francisco and we get free lunches, pizza, Sony Metreon passes, etc... We can go down to the pier and check out the "Nash Bridges" set and see if we can bump into Yasmin Bleeth. We weren't paid that good (due to possible IPO that never happened) but oh what fun!

I am now paid almost 2X more in a job that I can't possibly get paid off from. And I hate it.

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
My current job is my favourite so far. I'm an engineer for General Motors. I design brake modules for future vehicles. I basically get paid to beat the crap out of prototype cars and trucks on test tracks. If you drive the car into a ditch you just call the on site tow truck and go back at it.
Winter testing on the giant ice field is way to much fun. Sometimes I almost feel bad taking money. Sometimes :)

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I feel like Kramer on Seinfeld, I have stumbled ass backwards from one "greatest job ever" to the next.
Like Zen I worked in a local music store and it would be a dream job if the pay was better.
I was then a web master for an internet startup for a number of years and moved on to a local health insurance company in the same role.
I am at the same company in a much more "stable" job. I get to code all day but do not work in the traditional "programmer farm environments". My code is usually small task based and I am done each item in a week max.
Something new every day, and good people to work with.

I consider myself lucky!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Working in a lumber yard when I was younger. The pay was ok, the hours were very long, but physical labor is underrated. And the farm girls sure seemed to like a man that sweats for his stake.

Yes ... good times.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I love my Job I have Now. I design, sell, and install Hi End Home Theaters and 2 channal systems. Granted its retail but it is soooooooo different. I worked at tweeter for three years and this is nothing like it. I get paid (well) to listen to music and watch movies and work in million dollar homes.

Also I have been sent around the country and the world for trainings. London for Tag Mclaren, Scotland for Linn, La. for Revel, NY city and state for ISF and Mcintosh. Later this year or early next year I'm going back to England for B&W. When the reps come here for trainins they take us out to dinner after the meetings.

www.natural-sound.com

If you go to the bottom of the page you will see me Im the guy with Black shirt in the back row.

BTW the speakers that are in the shot run around 20k

My other Job I Host a game show 2 nights a week at a local bar. I get paid to hang out drink beer and hit on REALLY GOOD LOOKING WOMEN.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm with the others, I burn out on jobs quickly (a year, give or take)
the one I miss I was only working there for a few months when we decided to go back to school, I regret not sticking around a little bit, but who knows in another 9 months I'd probably have been sick of that too.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I recently rec'd my latest social security statement, I know you older guys will know what I am talking about. Anyhow, in 2008 I will have already worked 30 years and I will only be 47 then :frowning: I have been blessed in my lastest job which I have been at 15 years but when you get down to it, your still always working for someone else.:frowning: My ideal job would be to be my own boss in some sort of business I like. But, I hear horror stories about being ones own boss too. Although, I do have one friend that is a real estate appraiser and has it very easy and gets paid a very good living. He sets his own hours too. Hum, Winning the loto would work too... :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
For me.. it was being a bartender at a little corner bar in my hometown. It was like throwing a party every night. I got to bring in my own music and give free drinks to my friends and the ladies.

Good times.. good times.

Second favorite would probably be working at Musicland at the mall during college in the 80's. The pay sucked ass.. but my coworkers were great and the discount was "totally awesome". ;)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I love what I do now: dentistry. I feel lucky that I don't have to drag my ass to work everyday. The opportunity to work to my own standards, ideals, and philosophies is the greatest reward. There is also tremendous personal satisfaction when patients appreciate what I do for them. This may sound funny to some but the need to constantly upgrade is actually a blessing. There are so many exciting fields to pursue within the profession and the ability to attend courses as you please is a godsend. Combining work/play/travel and make it tax-deductible is sweet! Job security, money, flexible hours are other perks.

It can be hard work though.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Construction work for me. :) One summer job I had was a laborer for a masonry company. The brick layers were hilarious as well as the El Salvadorian laborers. Although it was hard, backbreaking work, my co-workers made it fun.

But if I had a million dollars I'd like to be a chef!

E

Eric Kahn

I really like my current job at the post office in building maintenance, my boss is cool, I have learned lots and for the most part, the job is relaxed but challenging, but then somthing major happens (72 year old bldg) and we run around like disturbed ants, the joys of ancient plumbing;)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Well, since nobody's ever offered to pay me to act or make art, I've had to settle.

In college, I had a gig where I night-watched a small factory only on holiday weekends. The pay was generous enough that I could budget the cash and do only that job for over a year. The requirements were only that I be there from 8 PM 'til 4 AM (not that I be there sober, or be there not getting laid, etc.)

My best job is now. I oversee a small department doing important work-7 days on, 7 days off (10 hour shifts)-so I end up working "about 24 weeks per year" The money's good. Less than 20 years ago I was working 6 days, 45 hrs/week for about 15% of what I make now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks