What's new

Blu-ray Review Far From the Madding Crowd Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, no. Perhaps if you have nothing whatsoever to compare it to the Warner Blu might be first class all the way. If you want to know just how not first class all the way it is, I offer the following:

I, of course, got the US Blu-ray from Warners the day it came out. I saw the film five or six times in its 70mm blow up here in Los Angeles at the Wilshire Theater. I loved the movie, the score, the actors - everything, but especially Nicholas Roeg's amazing photography. No home video release has come within a country mile of even hinting at that amazing photography. The Warner Blu, while not exactly terrible, just wasn't very good - nothing was sharp enough, color was a little boosted and the contrast was a little harsh - and it was obvious it was not from any original element, but some kind of IP or whatever.

So, I was looking forward to viewing the UK Blu-ray and it arrived today and I can safely say that it is an incredible transfer, one of the best I've ever seen. Everything looks as it should - detail is superb (lots of soft focus and diffusion on Ms. Christie), and the color is astoundingly perfect. And the sound, which is tinny and ugly on the Warners, is here full-bodied and stunning, making Richard Rodney Bennett's score really sound gorgeous - but the entire mix is much more present and wonderful. This is highly recommended by the likes of me. Finally this lovely film gets the treatment it so deserves - a 4K transfer off the original negative. Much love has gone into this. Yes, it's missing about a minute of violent cock-fighting footage, which is fine by me. Some guy on another forum refuses to purchase it because of those cuts as he doesn't care about the leap in quality only that minute of footage. No overture here either, and I'm fine with that, too, as I can't even listen to the overture on the Warners disc because the sound is so wretchedly awful.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
Well, no. Perhaps if you have nothing whatsoever to compare it to the Warner Blu might be first class all the way. If you want to know just how not first class all the way it is, I offer the following:

I, of course, got the US Blu-ray from Warners the day it came out. I saw the film five or six times in its 70mm blow up here in Los Angeles at the Wilshire Theater. I loved the movie, the score, the actors - everything, but especially Nicholas Roeg's amazing photography. No home video release has come within a country mile of even hinting at that amazing photography. The Warner Blu, while not exactly terrible, just wasn't very good - nothing was sharp enough, color was a little boosted and the contrast was a little harsh - and it was obvious it was not from any original element, but some kind of IP or whatever.

So, I was looking forward to viewing the UK Blu-ray and it arrived today and I can safely say that it is an incredible transfer, one of the best I've ever seen. Everything looks as it should - detail is superb (lots of soft focus and diffusion on Ms. Christie), and the color is astoundingly perfect. And the sound, which is tinny and ugly on the Warners, is here full-bodied and stunning, making Richard Rodney Bennett's score really sound gorgeous - but the entire mix is much more present and wonderful. This is highly recommended by the likes of me. Finally this lovely film gets the treatment it so deserves - a 4K transfer off the original negative. Much love has gone into this. Yes, it's missing about a minute of violent cock-fighting footage, which is fine by me. Some guy on another forum refuses to purchase it because of those cuts as he doesn't care about the leap in quality only that minute of footage. No overture here either, and I'm fine with that, too, as I can't even listen to the overture on the Warners disc because the sound is so wretchedly awful.
Which is most of us. I'm happy with the Warner Archive title, therefore, I won't be purchasing the UK release. With that said, I'm glad you're happy with the UK BD.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
Which is most of us. I'm happy with the Warner Archive title, therefore, I won't be purchasing the UK release. With that said, I'm glad you're happy with the UK BD.
Oh, I'm more than happy with it because it's one of the best transfers I've ever seen. I'm glad you're happy with the Warner Archive disc. For me, I prefer having a movie look as it should, which the Nicholas Roeg supervised 4K restoration does and which the Warner Archive does not. If it's not a favorite film I'm sure the Warners is just fine - if it IS a favorite film, the UK is a whole other experience.

Reactions: PMF

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gerhard
Dear Mr. Kimmel, You pushed my button once again. My WAC was 2 days on its way to Vienna, when I read Your review in Your blog. So I ordered the UK edition as well. Two on the road - both have arrived happily. Now I have both of them. Am I a lucky guy???

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
I now need a region free BR player so I too can enjoy the UK release. FFTMC is a favorite film of mine. So what is a good choice? my system is Sony...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
Most people, including me, swear by the Oppo region free players. I have two of them and they're great.
Same here, I have two Oppo region free players, 93 & 103.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hollywoodaholic said:
If you're thinking about getting this and haven't yet, hold out for the UK restoration. The MGM release is a bit washed out and you can just tell it could look a lot richer. It's okay, but you just know the restoration version will be a lot better.

Nevermind. Apparently the Warner archive version is better. Includes the Overture (not in UK version), the UK-censored cockfight scene, much better 5.1 audio, and by the screen capture comparison, the picture is brighter and better (and not bluish), too. So, stick with the Warner Archive version.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_67/far_from_the_madding_crowd_blu-ray.htm

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As others have said, Roeg's wonderful cinematography really shines through on this release. I like this version and the 2015 version equally well, I think. Both very fine movies imho.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Love this film enough to buy it twice, especially since the UK edition was overseen by Mr. Roeg.
AmazonUK has it listed as a Region B/2. In some instances, though, some titles have been free of that limitation. Does anyone know if this is the case for "Far From the Madding Crowd"? Otherwise, I'll be purchashing it in December, upon the purchase of my very first Oppo player.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Nicholas Roeg.
Unbelievable that he wasn't nominated in 1967.
Nominees were: Bonnie and Clyde, Camelot, Doctor Dolittle, The Graduate and In Cold Blood.
I would have sacrificed Camelot or one of the two Robert Surtees nominations; as much as I love his works, as well.
Thankfully nominations and winners do not preclude the erasure nor disappearance of works overlooked.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Love this film enough to buy it twice, especially since the UK edition was overseen by Mr. Roeg.
AmazonUK has it listed as a Region B/2. In some instances, though, some titles have been free of that limitation. Does anyone know if this is the case for "Far From the Madding Crowd"? Otherwise, I'll be purchashing it in December, upon the purchase of my very first Oppo player.
It is Region B-locked.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thanks. Well, this just steps up my resolve to get the Oppo player sooner.
Can't wait to see what haineshisway has spoken about in Post 21; but I'm already a believer.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Nevermind. Apparently the Warner archive version is better. Includes the Overture (not in UK version), the UK-censored cockfight scene, much better 5.1 audio, and by the screen capture comparison, the picture is brighter and better (and not bluish), too. So, stick with the Warner Archive version.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_67/far_from_the_madding_crowd_blu-ray.htm

Missed this amusing post. Note the word "apparently" and basing sticking with the Warner Archive release because of DVD Beaver. I don't think I need to say more, do you? :) The UK release is the correct release if you want the best video/audio presentation. Unlike the gentleman above, I'm not basing that opinion on screen caps on a site notorious for bad screen caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks