What's new

Fantasia question (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Those characters in Dumbo are integral to the story. Modifying or deleting the characters would destroy the business that occurs in that sequence. Deleting a few stereotypical background characters that show up for a couple of seconds cannot be compared to erasing of modifying characters that play a big part in the story. Erasing a couple of zebra-taurs, although stupid and uncalled for, has no effect on the film as a whole. Modifying or deleting the supposed "Jim Crow" sequence would destroy the entire sequence that makes up that part of the film. Even the PC influenced executives at Disney can see that.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I think the "What Makes A Red Man Red" bit from PETER PAN is blatantly racist; much worse than the censored FANTASIA bits (I've seen them).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Exactly. I think we can all agree that it is not so much the censorship that is the issue here, but rather the arbitrary nature with which it is applied.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I understand that the characters are in a major & well known sequence in the film, but my point being that if they (I.E. Disney) are indeed as concerned with not portraying stereotype racial characters in their classic films to protect impressionable young children as they state they are then they are only censoring the parts they can get away without deleting "beloved" well known characters or sequences. It is hypocritical IMO.

Offer the original versions for Adults who understand the times that these films were made in and are fully able to put that fact into context during viewing, and the censored versions for children....this will never happen I am sure but it makes sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks