What's new

Family (1 Viewer)

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
"Family" the seminal 1970s television drama created by Jay Presson Allen is now available to stream on Tubi. The show has been rarely seen and to my knowledge has only been shown sporadically on the Decades network during their weekend Binge-a-Thons. The show was a precursor to such family dramas as "Thirtysomething" and "Brothers and Sisters" and was produced by Mike Nichols, Aaron Spelling, and Leonard Goldberg. Mark Rydell directed the pilot episode and was the show's executive consultant. It starred Sada Thompson, James Broderick, Gary Frank, Kristy McNichol, and Meredith Baxter (then known as Meredith Baxter-Birney). Quinn Cummings joined the show beginning with the show's fourth season. The show was a critic's darling and garnered several Emmy nominations and wins. Thompson, Frank, and McNichol won for their performances. McNichol actually won two. I believe Broderick and Baxter-Birney were nominated.

In rewatching the show, it really does hold up, some really groundbreaking themes were addressed for a show of its time. It boasted a team of excellent writers and an impressive roster of guest stars appeared throughout the series 5-year run. One episode was directed by Joanne Woodward and guest-starred Henry Fonda as Broderick's ailing father.

The first three seasons are re-cropped to fill widescreen televisions but the remaining seasons are presented in their original aspect ratio. All episodes look to be remastered as well.

This is one of those shows that really deserves to be rediscovered. Hopefully, if it gains enough renewed interest Sony will see fit to release the show on DVD or license it out to Mill Creek. Sony did release the first two seasons way back in 2009 but failed to release any other seasons. That set is now out of print.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Thanks. Just noticed that too, when I just noticed that Tubi was an app available on the Xfinity X1. I watched much of the last Decades binge, but they didn't run all the Family episodes. Family was one of my favorite shows during its original run. I always had a thing for Kristy McNichol (I think the statute of limitations has run out on that some time ago).

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Thanks. Just noticed that too, when I just noticed that Tubi was an app available on the Xfinity X1. I watched much of the last Decades binge, but they didn't run all the Family episodes. Family was one of my favorite shows during its original run. I always had a thing for Kristy McNichol (I think the statute of limitations has run out on that some time ago).
I'm so glad people are finding this and rediscovering it. It really is a great show.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I've been watching it this past year and it's great it's avaliable on Tubi.TV and Uncle Earl's Classic Tv Channel and i think Shout Factory will look into this 70's family tv drama.it would be great.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I've always wanted to watch Family. I've yet to find my way around to it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks