What's new

Excel question... (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm compiling up the top ten list of 2006 films for HTF and was wondering if there's a way I can convince Excel to do this automatically

I need to convert the ranking to the score. a number 1 ranking to a score of 10. And all the other ranks, a number 10 ranking to a score of 1, for instance

How I've done these in the past is simply convert the ranking to the score when I put it in. But that makes it a huge pain when I'm updating and I'm always a bit nervous if I'm getting 6 and 5 mixed up.

It'd be a lot simpler (and much faster) to just enter the ranking. But I've no idea how to make Excel do that.

Anybody know how to get it to work?

(I haven't yet thought about how I'd get ties to work, which I usually just award the tied films the average of the rankings, so a tied number 1 ranking would result in a 9.5 score for both films)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're trying to do, but it almost certainly can be done. If for example, in column D, you enter a rank (1-10), then just have a formula in column E (e.g., for E5, =11-D5). That will convert 10 to 1, 1 to 10, and everything in between. If you're looking for something else, then if you explain further, I'm certain it can be done.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I've read a fair amount of Jefferson and have never run across this quote.

Was it in the copy of the Declaration of Independence featured in National Treasure? :D

Sorry to be so completely off-topic!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Oops. You didn't think I meant that Tom Jefferson did you? The guy I'm quoting is just a neighbor of mine. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

NOW it makes sense...because I was pretty sure the founding fathers all agreed that they preferred Dan Patrick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks