What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Between 1935 and 1953, Errol Flynn appeared in almost forty films for Warner Bros., and eight of them in Technicolor.

Slowly, Warner Archive is restoring and releasing them to Blu-ray, and the 1945 Raoul Walsh production, Objective Burma is another nice addition, as presumably the earlier films are working their way through restoration processes.

As for OB, it's a quality affair, reviewed by The New York Times as:

"This is without question one of the best war films yet made in Hollywood. There are no phony heroics by Errol Flynn or any of the other members of a uniformly excellent cast. These boys conduct themselves like real soldiers... The Warners have erred only in the film's excessive length. It runs approximately two hours and twenty minutes, or roughly thirty minutes more than appears to be absolutely necessary. "Objective, Burma" is the hard-bitten story of a group of tough, tight-lipped paratroopers who are dropped deep in the Burmese jungles to wipe out a troublesome Jap radar station. Many of the scenes are the real thing, and the shots of the boys jumping out of the planes look as though they were borrowed from the Army's film archives. In fact, the whole picture has a strong documentary quality, even in the writing. There is surprisingly little dialogue and what is said is spoken tersely, or with a touch of earthy humor."

While we wait expectantly for The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Dawn Patrol, Captain Blood, and other historical epics, this one will do nicely.

Beautifully shot in black & white James Wong Howe, and with a score by Franz Waxman, it's a magnificent candidate for inclusion in any serious film library.

A gorgeous Blu-ray.

For more on the subject, consider Sam Fuller's Merrill's Marauders and the documentary The Stilwell Road.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Viewed the movie a few times on tv and liked it and will buy the Blu-ray. Another film i want to see on Blu-ray is The Sun Also Rises (1957) which i thought Errol Flynn was good in it.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
This is the second part of my amazon order with Chain lightning and cant wait till it ships. It is my favorite movie of his but would still like to see some of the releases that robert referred to as well as they died with their boots on.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Between 1935 and 1953, Errol Flynn appeared in almost forty films for Warner Bros., and eight of them in Technicolor.

Slowly, Warner Archive is restoring and releasing them to Blu-ray, and the 1941 Raoul Walsh production, Objective Burma is another nice addition, as presumably the earlier films are working their way through restoration processes.

As for OB, it's a quality affair, reviewed by The New York Times as:

"This is without question one of the best war films yet made in Hollywood. There are no phony heroics by Errol Flynn or any of the other members of a uniformly excellent cast. These boys conduct themselves like real soldiers... The Warners have erred only in the film's excessive length. It runs approximately two hours and twenty minutes, or roughly thirty minutes more than appears to be absolutely necessary. "Objective, Burma" is the hard-bitten story of a group of tough, tight-lipped paratroopers who are dropped deep in the Burmese jungles to wipe out a troublesome Jap radar station. Many of the scenes are the real thing, and the shots of the boys jumping out of the planes look as though they were borrowed from the Army's film archives. In fact, the whole picture has a strong documentary quality, even in the writing. There is surprisingly little dialogue and what is said is spoken tersely, or with a touch of earthy humor."

While we wait expectantly for The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Dawn Patrol, Captain Blood, and other historical epics, this one will do nicely.

Beautifully shot in black & white James Wong Howe, and with a score by Franz Waxman, it's a magnificent candidate for inclusion in any serious film library.

A gorgeous Blu-ray.

For more on the subject, consider Sam Fuller's Merrill's Marauders and the documentary The Stilwell Road.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH
I Hope more Errol Flynn titles get released on Bluray. I Pre-Ordered mine last week ! :) Glad to hear it's a Gorgeous Bluray ! :D:banana:Thank You Mr. Robert. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to move some of these posts as this thread is about "Objective Burma!" not Flynn titles that haven't been released on Blu-ray.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
A trivia note - as I recall, Objective Burma was one of the last laserdiscs to be released following the introduction of DVD. I had pre-ordered it with Ken Crane's but never received it because they didn't receive enough copies to fill all of their pre-orders. At least, that is how I remember it.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
A trivia note - as I recall, Objective Burma was one of the last laserdiscs to be released following the introduction of DVD. I had pre-ordered it with Ken Crane's but never received it because they didn't receive enough copies to fill all of their pre-orders. At least, that is how I remember it.
That would have made it an early 2000 release about 3 years after DVD's April 1997 introduction. That would explain why I didn't have this one on Laserdisc. I bought DVD on Launch but continued buying alot of Catalog titles on Laserdisc in 97 and 98. I slowed down in 99 and by the end of that year had stopped buying laserdiscs and was content with waiting for catalog titles to be released on DVD at that point. I had this one on VHS.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I got mine from Amazon today ! It looks Great ! :D Excellent PQ like Chain Lighting was. :) Here it is with my inside custom art.
DSC00456.JPG
DSC00457.JPG

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope to have mine tomorrow and I will immediately watch it once I get my big hands on it.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Like virtually everything WAC does, Objective Burma's new-to-Blu is a quality affair from top to bottom. Film lovers everywhere owe George Feltenstein and the regime responsible for these curated classics a magnitude of debt and appreciation. I sincerely hope Mr. Feltenstein was working on a host of other goodies before the purge at WB began, including a lot more Flynn, National Velvet, The Prisoner of Zenda (Ronald Colman), Scaramouche, Random Harvest, and Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939).

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Like virtually everything WAC does, Objective Burma's new-to-Blu is a quality affair from top to bottom. Film lovers everywhere owe George Feltenstein and the regime responsible for these curated classics a magnitude of debt and appreciation. I sincerely hope Mr. Feltenstein was working on a host of other goodies before the purge at WB began, including a lot more Flynn, National Velvet, The Prisoner of Zenda (Ronald Colman), Scaramouche, Random Harvest, and Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939).
Nick, I hope WAC releases more Errol on Blu ! L:emoji_hearts:ve to see..... Don Juan, San Antonio, Montana, and Master of Bal. All in Technicolor ! :D

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

RAH

For those who want to take a really deep dive into the subject, I can recommend Barbara Tuchman's Pulitzer Prize-winning book, "Stillwell and the American Experience in China."

Objective Burma is notable for the absence of unnecessary romantic subplots!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks