What's new

Exactly What Goes On When Switching Component Video Through Receiver? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I am curious- when using the receiver to switch component video, is the receiver itself doing any processing of the signal?
I would think something happens inside, because several years ago component switching did not necessarily support the full HD bandwidth, yet most receivers today do. This would indicate that there is something more happening than simply a switch of some sort.
I ask this because I wonder if the routing of video signals through a receiver(NAD T-753) might cause lip sync issues, and if so, why...

Neither the DVD player(Yamaha C-950) nor receiver has an audio delay feature to deal with the sync issue, so I'm wondering if bypassing the receiver is all that is necessary to alleviate the problem. If so I'll probably use an HDMI cable instead, and get a better picture in the bargain as well. TV is a Pioneer PDP 5060HD.

Any insights appreciated... Thanks

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Not sure if this helps but...I have never run video thru the reciever of any setup. I ascribe to the notion that the additional cabling and reciever could possibly cause degradation of the video in some way.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Reginald,
I agree with you. However, I set this up for someone that stressed ease of use over anything else. I never run my own cables through my receiver for just the reason you have stated. Though I must admit, the video quality does seem awfully good, except for the lip sync issue.

Jameson Richard

Auditioning
any other connection that you make in the system starts to degrade the quality of the video or audio... some recievers quote that they have no signal lose through the video switching on their receivers... but yet again the less times you have to plug something into another thing the better... if you are worried about the ease of use than get a nice universal macro remote... make sure that it has enough assignable buttons to controll the more advanced functions of your equipment...

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Unless the AVR does upconvert/downconvert with the component in, then no, it should just bring it in and put it back out whichever component out is selected whenever the input is activated. As to what changed, AFAIK its just that the internal AVR components weren't previously rated to carry the full bandwidth but now they are.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I am going there tomorrow morning to address the issue, so I'll post my fix.
Thinking out loud, several things I'll try:
Turn off the DCDi processing in the DVD player menu, to see if that is what's slowing down the video. If not, I'll try routing the component cable directly to the TV. If that doesn't work, I'll try an HDMI cable with the DVD output set to the set's native resolution to possibly cut down on the video processing.
I could also use the digital out from the TV(gotten from the HDMI) and feed it back to the receiver; this might slow down the audio enough to sync things up.
Or any combination of the above...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks