What's new

ER Season 1 in June?! (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Digital Bits' rumor mill says some retailers have contacted them about Season 1 of ER being released June 3. Do we have any other sources of intel about this being true?

What would you like to see on a boxed set? There are two things I can think of right away:

1. 60 minute episodes. I have read that WB is contractually obligated to deliver 60 minute episodes to NBC, and the eps are the edited down to fit into the time. As with Friends, I'd really like to see cut footage restored.

2. Blooper reel!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
If any cut footage is restored for TV eps, I think it should be done via seamless branching. First and foremost, the material in the show should be presented on DVD the way it originally aired.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
The only problem I foresee with 60 minute cuts being presented is that the continuity for later shows will be based on the 45 minute cuts that aired, and not the 60 minute ones. Therefore, we might see stuff occur in those new 15 minutes that contradict events when they are referred back to in later shows. That is why we will probably not see the 60 minute versions.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
"contractually obligated to deliver 60 min. episodes?!?!?" can anybody confirm that? i mean that just doesn't sound logical to me - why pay for the production of 60 min when you KNOW the show will end up being 45? the shooting schedule is probably hectic enough as it is. i remember all the talk about adding filler to the first season of 24 to make the actual running DVD time of each episode an hour, but it never happened.

i dunno about the re-watchablility of a show like ER - i don't think it does as well as hoped in syndication either. but if i did get the discs, it would be the earlier seasons. i remember the show having alot more humour than it does now.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
another question: could someone tell me why studios continue to put out TV series on DVD in production order rather than broadcast order? apart from the example cited above, it happened on the Mad About You 1st season. kinda annoying.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
could someone tell me why studios continue to put out TV series on DVD in production order rather than broadcast order? apart from the example cited above, it happened on the Mad About You 1st season. kinda annoying
Um, laziness? Ignorance? How about stupidity? Shortsightedness? Somehow cheaper, perhaps? Apathy?

Take your pick! :D

I can forgive this on earlier DVD releases where the will of the TV-on-DVD buy public wasn't generally known yet, but by now it is WAY clear that the buyers want to see these in the same order they were broadcast. Any releases that are out of airdate order now, like MAY was, is just plain unacceptable.

Unfortunately, since MAY sold *very* well (at the super-low price of $20-$25, or even less, for an entire season of shows), I doubt that the involved studio got the message about airdate order. Which, um, sucks. In retrospect, I wish I had at least used stronger languange on this subject in my MAY Review for TVShowsOnDVD. Looking back on it, I was *way* too "nice" (and accepting-sounding?) of the situation.

Fortunately, this is happening less and less in general, though.

Sorry - I think I definately pulled this thread off-topic with that rant! Okay...back to discussing E.R. rumors! :) (actually, I'm not sure why this thread is still open, since - as LukeB pointed out - this duplicates an existing and VERY recent thread anyway.)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
In the case of many shows, they are obviously broadcast in the wrong order (Firefly, Buffy, Xena, etc). I think they shoudl do like wide/full screen and ask the creators what order the eps were supposed to go in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks