What's new

E3 Awards Thread (For the fun of it) (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Here are the categories for the awards from this site Link Removed
Best of Show
Best Original Game
Best PC Game
Best Console Game
Best PC Hardware
Best Console Hardware
Best Action Game
Best Action/Adventure Game
Best Fighting Game
Best Role Playing Game
Best Racing Game
Best Simulation Game
Best Sports Game
Best Strategy Game
Best Puzzle/Trivia/Parlor Game
Best Online Multiplayer Game
For the fun of it and for those of us who have been glued to the computer screens. Taking in every video and report. Lets declare our E3 winners:
Best of Show
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Runner-up: Metroid Prime
This was a really hard choice to make because Metroid was so fantastic. There were a ton of games shown this year that could have won this. In the end I have to go with what blew me away the most. I had to choose what game had me salivating in front of my computer screen more than any other game shown. Panzer Dragoon is it for me.
Best Original Game
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Runner-up: TIE:Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem and B.C
Its always nice to see some good innovative stuff coming. Project Ego is another worth mentioning here. Blinx in the end won it for me. The use of the hard drive sounds intriguing and unique. Having members of the original Sonic team also has my hopes high for this one as well.
Eternal Darkness was no less unique with its character switching elements. Not too mention the insanity meter that causes all kinds of goofy stuff to happen.
Finally B.C was VERY impressive. In the tradition of all of Molyneaux's games, nothing is ordinary. Lets hope the execution can match the ideas.
Best PC Game
Doom 3
Runner-up: Star Wars Galaxies
Though very limited in the play department no PC game could top what was shown for the next DOOM game. Technically astounding and from the limited play highly atmospheric. This is *THE* game that will have people upgrading there systems.
Oh yeah and that other Star Wars game. You know, the MMORPG that will rob you of a social life when its released. Not too mention having some of the most realistic drop dead gorgeus graphics out there.
Best Console Game
Metroid Prime
Runner-up: Panzer Dragoon Orta
I know what you are thinking.."WHAT? NO PANZER DRAGOON? But it won Best of the Show?". Suffice it to say I loved PDO enought give it best of the show (and with good reason). I also think Metroid and Retro deserve some accolades for coming through with what looks to be *THE* system seller for Nintendo (Yes, even more than Mario). Gorgeus graphics, Samus, Metroid gameplay, Samus...You get the Picture.
Best PC Hardware
Matrox Parhelia chipset
Not sure if this was shown during E3 (Honeslty I could not find much on PC hardware for E3 this year). This chipset simply put looks like it could really give Nvidia a run for its money. More info can be foundhere
Best Console Hardware
N/A
Not really applicable to me at the very least as nothing new hardware wise was shown.
Best Action Game
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Runner-up: TIE: Brute Force and Red Faction 2
Splinter Cell is amazing! If you have not found or looked at the 75mb trailer available for the game.GO AND DO IT NOW. The lighting effects are beyond belief and the gameplay so far has Snake asking Tom Clancy questions on stealth.
Brute Force is another out of this world action game. The squad elements looks to add some strategy. Hopefully this one will play as good as it looks.
I enjoyed the first Red Faction allot and the sequel looks to bring more to the table. More Geo-mod. Better weapons and all around better look. I like what I saw with this one.
Best Action/Adventure Game
The Legend of Zelda
Runner-up: TIE: Silent Hill 3 and Super Mario Sunshine
I have to admit to still being bit lukewarm to Links overall appearance (The cel-shading looks fantastic but Links big eyes are a bit distracting). Also reports saying the game plays identical to the previous N64 efforts with little innovation have me a bit worried.(Of course you could argue why mess with perfection but..)
In the end though, this is Zelda and this is Miyamoto and the videos that were shown looked like a living breathing cartoon. It really *DOES* look like a 3D version of the SNES classic A Link to the Past and that is fine by me. This one has already been preordered (along with about 5 other games yesterday:)) and I'm really excited to get back to Hyrule.
Only a video and a small demonstration was held for Silent Hill 3 but that was enough for me. As a huge fan of both of the previous games I was a little discouraged to hear about the machine gun and bigger creatures. One look at the video and I was in heaven (or maybe hell...). The change to a femal protagonist is great and I'm all over this one.
Ah and good old Mario. The videos and screens shown have I think put to rest any worries that this is another Luigis Mansion. I'm pumped for August 26th.
Best Fighting Game
Reserving Judgement.
Not much in the way of fighting games was shown at E3 this year. Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is a port, Tao Feng is decent, MK is alright. Nothing really stands out.
Best Role Playing Game
Neverwinter Nights
Runner-up: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Not sure who has been following the E3 reports on the Neverwinter Vaults but June cant come soon enough.
Star Wars was coming along beautifully and I have no doubt Bioware will make this the best damn Star Wars game EVER!.
Now for some quickies:
Best Racing Game
Sega GT 2002
Runner-up: Auto Modellista
Best Simulation Game
Republic: The Revolution
Runner-up: Warcraft III
Best Online Multiplayer Game
Star Wars Galaxies
Runner-up: Worlds of Warcraft
Well there you have my rather long list. Feel free to share yours. As for which one of the big three had the best E3 this year, I think its a right down the middle tie between the Nintendo and Microsoft. They both just had too much good stuff to look at. Sony had some decent stuff with some very sought after games, but nothing that got me too bent out of shape (Except for Silent Hill 3)
Damn good E3 this year if you ask me. Not allot of suprises but a WHOLE lot of games. Till next year....

Dan B

Screenwriter
My opinions are going to be different than some might expect...I'll try to come up with a list...strains brain...uhh...
Just to clear one thing up, what is the rule on games that are shown on video only, both in this thread & in the "official" best-of program? I mean, sure Doom looked good in a couple of video clips, but...I mean...so what. I haven't heard any hands-on impressions of it so...(if you can't tell I'm totally against something so far off & unplayable receiving an award for best of show & that goes for games other than that one of course)
:confused:

Dan B

Screenwriter
OK, here are the rules from that link you posted:
Rules and Regulations
In order to be eligible for consideration in the 2002 Game Critics Awards, a game must have been on display at the 2002 Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, CA, May 22-24, 2002. Games shown off-site and in private meeting rooms were eligible along with those shown publicly on the show floor.

Playable Format
In order to compete a game must have been shown in playable form. Playable form is defined as the ability for the judge or a developer to manipulate the game in real-time running on its native platform. Games which were only demonstrated via videotapes, screenshots, rendered movies, concept art, sell sheets, press kits, EPKs, or any derivative thereof were automatically disqualified from consideration in the major award categories. However, non-playable games were still eligible for Special Commendations in Graphics and Sound Design.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Seeing as most of use would be judging the games primarily from screenshots and video, I'm not sure how much it matters if the game was playable or not.

Kami

Screenwriter
I can't do a list of them all since I'm not a serious console gamer, but I'll just chime in with this:
Best of Show: DOOM 3 BABY!!!!!
:D

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yes Morgan someone did say that? I forgot who it was though....I believe he is tall dark and very handsome and all the ladies just flock to him...I wonder who that could be???

Oh and he has a huge.....................

videogame collection.
Who could this mysterious stranger be.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, but based on that description, I think he's the recluse hobo who lives down the street behind the Kwik-E Mart.;)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I guess I'm not the only one who finds it too difficult to come up with my own winners list. Good effort though, Romier! ;)
Anywho, IGN has posted their thoughts on the best games shown at E3 here:
-Link Removed
-Link Removed
-Link Removed
I don't really agree with most of the Xbox & PS2 picks, but they were the ones who had hands-on time, not me!

Dan B

Screenwriter
That's weird...I posted a reply this morning & it disappeared. Let's try again...
Xen Gamers has done their own best of E3 article, which has a couple of surprises, & you can read that here.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Gamespots list wasn't too bad but I think its criminal that Panzer Dragoon didn't make it into the top 10 list for the show. I think it deserved to there as did Blinx The Time Sweeper. Metroid Prime also should have been a little higher than Zelda and Mario IMO, it as by far Nintendo's best title at E3.

I pretty much expected them to give top honors to Doom 3. That wasnt a suprise at all. One thing I did notice about the list was that the Gameboy Advance really has an astonishing line-up coming. (Super Ghouls and Ghosts, A Link to the Past, Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance, Metroid Fusion, Yoshi's Island...). I have allot of Gameboy games to be buying!

Dan B

Screenwriter
Nintendo's got sort of an advantage at these shows as, to be completely honest...this will sound like a fan-boy criticism...they only had a half dozen interesting exclusives for the Gamecube so the focus is always centered on the big games. Sony & MS each had at least 15 interesting exclusives...and I'm not saying that any of them played as well as Nintendo's big 3, as the critics have spoken & Nintendo seems to have taken those honors. However, this over-abundance of potentially great titles means that games can get lost in the mix.
I've been hearing more & more, for example, that Psychonauts is in fact a killer game for the Xbox...maybe better than Blinx. Not to mention Toe Jam & Earl, which got rave reviews for it's gameplay & graphics from the people who played it at E3. And I thought Tork looked good, too. Splinter Cell seems to be getting a lot of love but, hey...Unreal Championship looks nearly as good as Metroid, IMO. Hell, I'm looking forward to Deus Ex 2 more than either of those games, as the gameplay in that series is more interesting to me. To go off on a rant here...the fact that people are foaming over Doom III is lost on me, too...I guess the basic FPS genre is starting to bore me.
-Dan

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo's got sort of an advantage at these shows as, to be completely honest...this will sound like a fan-boy criticism...they only had a half dozen interesting exclusives for the Gamecube so the focus is always centered on the big games.
I think there's something to that. Nintendo has such a history built up that when they show up with a new Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game people tend to tune everything else out in favor of those games. Not without reason - those franchises have a history of very high quality - but at the end of the day it's still a fairly small handful of games, so it is unfortunate when other cool games get overshadowed so much. Oh well. I will give them credit for playing up that advantage, though, as it's probably the biggest advantage they have over Sony and Microsoft: that ability to show up at a show and, no matter what the competition is cooking up, still whisper "Mario" and have everybody stop dead in their tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks