What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Dvorak Symphony #9 on DVD-Audio can't play 2.0 track (1 Viewer)

Tim Johnson

Agent
I just recently made the jump to DVD-A and I am having a problem with one of the discs I bought. I thought maybe one of you guys had run into the same problem.

The disk is Dvorak: Symphony #9 on the TelDec label.
Player: Toshiba SD4900

The disc packaging states that there is both a 5.1 and a stereo mix in "Advanced Resolution" However, when I put the disc in my player and attempt to play it I am only able to play the 5.1 mix. Hitting the "Audio" button on my remote does nothing (it swtiches between 2.0 and 5.1 on other discs) and I am not able to find a menu option anywhere to switch to the 2.0 track. Is this an incompatibility with my player on this disc or is the packaging just incorrect, OR am I just stupid?

Thanks

728x90

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Tim, not familiar with the disc. Had a friend who had the 4700 and I bought my brother the 4800 about a yr. ago. Sometimes Toshibas can be finicky and while it could be that my suspicion would be that assuming the disc is not mislabeled that the advanced stereo mix may be in the DVD-V portion so try that.

Same problem here (I also have a Toshiba) - never noticed in the almost two years I've had this disc...guess that's because the 5.1 is so good..

D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Try the "group" button.
I haven't listened to that one in a while and it's in storage now so I can't check, but I seem to remember listening to a stereo track on that disk.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I recently bought this disc. It has NO STEREO layer, just Advanced Resolution 5.1 & Dolby Digital 5.1. It is one of the first batch of Warner DVD-As and, like Tigerlily, Brain Salad Surgery, all the Beethoven symphonies, Invincible Summer, and a few others, use downmix for the 2.0. The packaging lies as to a 2.0 layer being a separate entity. Stop looking for it---you're never going to find it!

Tim Johnson

Agent
Well bummer. I was really hoping for a quality 2.0 mix of that piece and I really don't want to downmix it in my player so I guess I will have to settle for the 5.1 mix.

Oh well, 5.1 is the only way my sub will make any sound with a DVD-A right now anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks