What's new

DVD Recorders (1 Viewer)

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering getting a DVD recorder. I have numerous Japanese anime fansubs that may never see the light of day on DVD, as well as changing them over to a more spacious and easier to store media. Can anyone suggest a good DVD recorder.

Another question, on recording from VHS to DVD format, how does the DVD compensate for tape lag in VHS?

Also, does anyone know by chance if the Pioneer DVL-909 can play DVD-R format discs?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I can only answer your first question, and the answer is the Panasonic DMR-E20. It'll record both the DVD-RAM and the DVD-R discs. it's a second generation player and can be had for about $800 in the States.

I'm looking at getting this player myself in the not too distant future.

Norm

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just got a Panasonic dmr-e20 last week. I have recorded directly from my dishnetwork(using s-video connector), from a laserdisc player and from a vhs tape. All I can say is I love it! I taped Enterprise last night at sp(2hr) mode and it looked like it was playing live. I also taped a old prebought movie that the company taped at lp(4hr) mode. I recorded it at sp mode on the dvd burner and it also looked nice. Even though you cannot edit dvd-r's. I was able to set up each episode with its title on the menu. Then title the disc with the show name. I also just found cheaper
dvd-r's. I got "Primediscs" from www.shop4tech.com they sold 25 discs for $59.99 delivered. That works out to $2.40 a disc. Which is very cheap for dvd-r's.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Personally, I think the Philips DVDR985 (DVD+R and DVD+RW) is the best out there. No matter what you record (write once or erasable discs) they can play in 99% of all DVD players out there WITHOUT finalization! The blanks are at the $7.00 level now; and you can record 1-2-3 or 4 hours on a single sided, ERASABLE disc. It works just like a VCR; without the complicated stuff you have to go through with the other formats. The 1 and 2 hour modes look excellent, even when copying old VHS tapes. These units can be had for about $800.00 now. I'll never go back to VHS, and I can make erasable discs that my friends can watch in their players..

Todd L.

Auditioning
I have had the DMR-E20 for about two weeks now, and it is the BEST investment I have made to date. A good portion of the video service I run deals with transferring home movies to DVD and other formats for people. This little device works like a charm! Plus with its built in filters and enhancers, you usually get a better picture than the vhs master! Recording on DVD-RAM allows you to edit your video with ease and precision. I am very happy with this unit. Hope this helps!

MitchP

Grip
At CousinsVideo.com you can pick up a Panasonic DMR-E20 for $672.00
Link Removed
They are also accepting preorders on the new Panasonic Models.
1. Panasonic DMR-E30 - ($749.95) - due out June/July
Link Removed
2. Panasonic DMRHS1 - ($1,199.95) - due out Sept/Oct
Link Removed

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
On the Philips 985, the progressive out picture is excellent, almost on par with the Kenwood 5700. It it very easy to use, the thumbnail index is excellent, editing features are excellent, but on my Pioneer Elite TV the top of the menu is cut off. Philips has not gotten back to me about this. The interesting thing is, with this player, you don't need another because the progressie playback is so good. It is the only player to have component inputs. The Pioneer is more limited in its inputs and is expensive, the Panasonic does not have progressive playback, but I think the Philips so far seems quite good.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
I have a second hand Panasonic DMR E10 DVD Recorder which had a list price of $3995 new . :eek: and highly reccomend it or the E20. It only records DVD RAM but thats fine because i only need to make copies for my own use(backed up VHS, Record from Tivo and DVD (for my own legal use of course) from a Macrovision Free Apex Player. DVD Ram prices are very low - which was an initial concern - i can buy single sided DVD RAM (4.7GB) for $6 and its completely erasable and i can do basic editing on the player itself. DVD R would be nice but its not erasable so it doesnt hold a lot of interest for me. Overall its a cool addition to my home theater since unlike its successor the E-20 it is a progressive scan player as well and replaced my Toshiba SD6200. Im not so impressed with DVD +RW as i think the 99.9% compatibility is overstated - there is too much ancedotal evidence out there that many players won't play the discs. I think anyway that ultimately you can get another DVD recorder with the format du jour to copy too when you have the need to distribute DVD's and it will be much cheaper by that time anyway.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I have another question regarding DVD-R.

I know you can record up to 4 hours on DVD-R, my questions is, if I'm recording an 'hour' show from tv, can I pick up where I left off on the same DVD-R at another time or does it 'finalize' the DVD-R once you finish recording?

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
You can record one program after another until you run out of space or finalize - which is done manually, when you're done with the disc.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm paying a buck-fifty a blank for DVD-R for a borrowed E20. At that price I don't care if it's erasable.

The HS1 looks like the best game coming. A hard drive is a natural pairing with DVD recording.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
The very best combination is with DirecTivo - the biggest problem is removing commercials. If you doze a little and don't punch pause instantly the commercial's on your DVD forever.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Larry,

I'm a Tivo early adopter with two upgraded units running at home. I'm a huge Tivo fan, but for archiving the DMRHS1 should stomp Tivo with a DVD recorder. Why? Because you will almost certainly be able to edit commercials out from programs on the hard drive, and not have to attend the transfer from drive to DVD-R.

Maybe the transfer will even support 2X speeds...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Steve Phillips,

How much is the Philips DVDR985 DVD Recorder selling for? Am looking into getting a DVD recorder to replace my VHS.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Larry,
I'm fortunate enough to have great cable; so good that it looks better recorded on my upgraded tivos (with lots of room for Best Quality recordings) than DirecTV does fresh off the bird.
I'm not dissing DirecTV, just stating that it is not the best quality source in all areas.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Best Buy is selling the Philips DVDR985 today for $949.00 plus 10 free blank DVDs. I paid less for mine but I have connections. Look for these units to drop in price a lot by the end of the year. The cheapest I've seen blank DVD+RW (reusable) discs in town is $7, but on line I've found them for $5. I haven't yet tried the one time use DVD+R discs. The best thing about these units is how easy they are to use. Exactly like a VCR; no finalization, and the discs play in most DVD players (some early 1997-98 models aren't as compatible)and DVD-ROM drives with no problems at all. Even creating your own menu screens is a simple, 30 second process. Also, the unit plays DVD-R and DVD-RW as well as DVD+RW, DVD+R, CD-R, CD-RW, etc etc. Everything except DVD-RAM which is not an issue with me.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that the DMR-E20 has what's called a time slip function, what is this function and for what purpose is it used?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks