What's new

Dumb Movie Cliches (1 Viewer)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
You guys need to watch more Bill Curtis on A&E... Serial killers keep using the same M.O. because its what gets them off, or satisfies some sick need in them. If they changed it, it would no longer "work" for them. A killer who fantasizes about strangling black women is suddenly going to start shooting white men.

- Cryo

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Don't know if they are cliches, but here is two things I have found quite common in films.

1. In a chase, either car or on foot, somebody could have left way earlier then the other and be miles ahead of the other, then the other catches up to them in very short amount of time.

2. Car chases. When a car hits another, they go airborne and the car they hit stays put. Fast & The Furious when the car hits the truck it goes airborne for hundreds of feet. In Matrix Reloaded in the freeway chase, there is lots of cars going airborne after hitting another car. In real life cars probably wouldn't go airborne, they would just smash into the car.

Herschel

Stunt Coordinator
Ooh, one more I forgot about: Countdown timers that aren't even close. They'll show the red LED showing "00:15", or someone will announce "we only have 15 seconds!" to do whatever they need to do. 40 seconds later, we'll get an update, and now they only have 6 seconds left. That always drives me nuts.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
This is not a cliche at all, but rather two lines that I hear constantly in films and on tv that apparently people still think are funny...

Person 1: Call 911.
Person 2: OK, what's the number?

AND, when someone has a feeling, or vision, etc., and they refer to it as ESPN rather than ESP.

GARY C

Second Unit
The Simpson's where Homer borrow's money from the mob (Fat Tony) for Marge's pretzel company.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Haven't reviewed the entire thread, but surely someone has mentioned the cliche that bothers me more than any other:

During a car chase, there inevitable is going to be the "fruit stand" or something similar that will get plowed into by the car, with fruit etc. flying through the air, with a shot from inside the car showing the fruit hitting the windshield.

I can't even begin to tell you how many movies have this type of scene in it.

:rolleyes

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I dunno if this one has been mentioned but in a fight between the good guy and the bad guy, the bad guy beats the tar out of the good guy until fortune blesses the hero by having him fall next to/into/close-enough to barely reach something that completely turns the tide of the fight.

Shaun

Second Unit
Whenever police arrive on the scene of a crime, one of them always yells:

"Set up a perimeter!"

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Female prisoners must be the CLEANEST people on earth. Every women-in-prison film I've ever seen has a SHOWER scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks