Dual Subwoofer Setup Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Paul_III, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Paul_III

Paul_III Agent

If I wanted to add another subwoofer for the heck of it(I have two, one's just sitting around right now), what would be the best way to do it. My receiver is a Denon AVR-3803 and on the back there are white (L) and red (R) outputs for all the speakers - front, surround, etc. For the subwoofer the red output is labeled "subwoofer", while the white output is labeled "center". Would I royally screw something up if I ran the white "center" output to the additional subwoofer, or do I need some kind of splitter to split the signal from the red "subwoofer" output?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Do the splitter. Experiment by first putting them on top of each other in the same location, shoot for a balanced sound from each unit alone, then combine and adjust the master sub level to taste.

Then some day try seperating them and see what happens.

Do you have a good calibrating disc?

SPL meter?

3. Paul_III

Paul_III Agent

Don't have an SPL meter. I have the AVIA calibration disc.

4. Armand G

Armand G Stunt Coordinator

Certain Subwoofer brands swear by connecting their subwoofers to the speaker terminals (Amp) and High level input (Subwoofer). I for instance have two subwoofers. One is for LFE only (Subw. out on Amp), the other one for Surround (Surround speaker terminals + Highlevel input). It works excellent. Bass is all around know. Much better spread through the whole room.

Remember placement is crucial. I did a test by putting a subwoofer on the listening position to establish the highest smoothest output. In my case there were two locations in my room which were suitable. I then placed the two subs on these exact spots. It's working fine for me. I don't no if it works out formy neighbours too [​IMG] .

5. Armand G

A question: Are these two subwoofers exactly the same? If there not it's not recommendable to split the signal but to follow another route.

6. Paul_III

Paul_III Agent

Ah ok, thanks! Actually these subwoofers are not the same brand, so I'll try setting them up similar to what you mentioned.[​IMG]

7. Armand G

Another tip. In my case I noticed a decrease of bass on my LFE (.1) channel. The solution is to use subwoofersetting LFE+MAIN on your denon.

I have the following settings installed on my DENON AVC-A1 SR(AVR-5803):

Fronts=large (2 x B&W DM 640i)
    Center=small (MS 905 C)
    Surround=large (2 x B&W DM 604 + Rel Strata III via Highlevel input (Neutrik speakon on subside and three bare wires on Surround speaker terminals)
    Surround Back=small (2 x B&W DM 602 S3)
    Subwoofer=Yes (REL Storm .1 Channel)
    Setting THX fixed
    Subwoofer setting= LFE+MAIN

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Armand

8. Paul_III

Paul_III Agent

Thanks again Armand, I'll play with it over the weekend and see how it works out.

9. Armand G

Front speakers=large only possible setting to get the large setting on the surrounds.

Good luck!