What's new

Dual Hsu VTF-3 : My 2 cents (1 Viewer)

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steven, I have a buddy here who is interested, but I am still not sure if I'm going to unload it yet.

Thanks for the info Jack. It should be interesting to see what Howard Ferstler thinks of it.

ling_w

Second Unit
I heard Robert Deutsch (of Stereophile) from SGHT would be reviewing one also. Hopefully he will give an insight to it other than SPL, ref level and LFE.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Sean it would save me allot of pain if you just would give me your extra HSU. Think of it as a write-off. I just let the other half know that this will be next. O-well,,, I am used to it now. Since I am in the dog house maybe I should get two? Great review! No pain no gain.

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks alot jeff.

steve nn lol....thanks and good luck buddy, make sure you bring an extra blanket out to the dog house with you. If you end up getting 2 be prepared for some violent bass for HT, depending on your room size of course.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Sean, thanks for the writeup on the VTF-3. But, since your living in Canada have you ever heard or looked at the Paradigm Reference Servo-15?

With exchange and the shipping costs of the VTF-3 it ends up costing the same as what the Servo-15 goes for in Canada.

Patrick

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
PatrickM, to be honest I haven't really checked out the Servo-15. I heard it from another room while I was checking out a TV but that's about it.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
The Servo-15 in Canada is interesting because of the lower prices for Paradigm product in Canada and the fact that the SVS and Hsu subs are from the US and thus in US dollars.

In reality I know you can get a Servo-15 for around $1200, and I have heard of lower, without the crossover and since its at a B&M you don't get dinged with shipping charges.

Compared to the VTF-3 pricing you received, the two Servo-15's would be less even after your two sub discount.

I don't know how the two compare but the Servo-15 has been Stereophile Class B for quite some time so its no slouch.

Just some food for thought.

Patrick

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I suppose I will have to check out the Servo-15. I have read a few posts here about people preferring the SVS subs to the Servo as well as the SVS subs outperforming the Servo so I didn't really give it much thought. Do you own a Servo Patrick?

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Nope, I do not. I have heard it though and it is very nice especially for music. The servo makes for a very quick responding sub.

I can't say that its better than the SVS or VTF-3 or that you should even bother looking at it. I think what I was trying to get across was that its just interesting to see how all the costs stack up for those of us in Canada and how the options expand and contract depending on where your buying them from.

Patrick

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you Patrick. I suppose I have taken to the bang for the buck philosophies of companies such as Outlaw, SVS, Swans Diva line from AV123 and now HSU. I wonder how much these products would cost in a B+M here in Canada? I think they would be rather costly.The Servo has me curious though and I will check it out for the heck of it.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Sean,

Places like av123 are great but for the most part anything made in the US is pretty costly for us unless their direct to consumer.

Luckily we have some excellent speaker manufacturer's in Canada so at least we can buy something cheap.

I think when you demo the Servo-15's you won't be disappointed. A HTF member in Saskatchewan named Trevor Schell has dual SVS's and dual Servo-15's. He likes both but prefers the Servo-15's.

Patrick

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Sean:

If you ever get a chance to do a comparison between the Hsu and Servo-15, we'd all love to hear it. My guess is that while the Servo-15 may be perceived as a bit more accurate musically with the SVS having more SPL and lower extension, you might feel differently comparing the Servo-15 to the HSU, as both you and Barry seem to find the Hsu to be especially musical. BTW, you pretty much have me convinced to buy the Hsu as soon as it becomes financially feasible for me to do so. Thanks again for the review.

Karl L

Agent
Picked up the vtf3 locally today, and wouldn't you know it the thing was doa (damaged some where in the shipping process). When I get my replacement tomorrow I'll let you guys know what I think. Hopefully for my backs sake this one will work fine!

ling_w

Second Unit
If you are buying it right away, Jeff's Sound Values has them for $725. This offer is for 1 day only:
Link Removed

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Hi Sean! I see you finally got your subs, I was the guy taht demoed your Diva's and SVS a few weeks back.
About the Servo-15 it is a nice sub, and probably very comparible to the Hsu subs. I have seen them for $1300 in town, but some stores are EASY to get discounts from.
If you haven't been by my website check her out in my sig, I'd LOVE to see how those Hsu's stack up in my room :P
I've got the single Velo CHT-15 been thinking of dual but the g/f keeps nodding her head (left to right :frowning: )

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James,
I remember who you are, you were my first audition.....how could I forget my first? :)
Thanks for the info on the Servo 15....I'm going to stick with my pair of Hsu's....I love them. It looks like your room is coming along quite nicely....congratulations...hopefully someday I will be able to have a dedicated room as well. If you like , when you get your room all finished maybe we can drag the Hsu's over to your place if you want to check them out in your environment. Also, you are welcome to come over again and check them out at my place. Take care.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Sean that sounds like an offer I can't refuse! 2 Hsu's in my theatre, even if it's only for a little bit!

It would be cool to see how my Velo actually stacks up. I talked to my g/f again today about dual woofs and got the no you have Lots of bass. Yes I do, but at 18Hz? I don't know about that, I am making a CD with frequency waves to test in my room when it is done. Then I'll know if I do require another woof.

I was planning 5 B&W 602's but I keep thinking if I went with 303's I could save like $2K and get another sub!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks