What's new

DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 (1 Viewer)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I've just run into a unique situation. I'm playing Grumpy Old Men, which has a DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 track. My question is what listening mode should I use to listen to these types of tracks ? I have Dolby Pro Logic II Movie or All Channel Stereo. Or should I just use plain stereo ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Whatever mode you want.
The only way to "guarantee" you are hearing any soundtrack the "way intended" is to put the AVR in Direct Mode.
But, sometimes the way intended is just because they chose not to implement surround(in this case), or didn't even have stereo yet(King Kong 1933)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
schan1269 said:
Whatever mode you want.
The only way to "guarantee" you are hearing any soundtrack the "way intended" is to put the AVR in Direct Mode.
But, sometimes the way intended is just because they chose not to implement surround(in this case), or didn't even have stereo yet(King Kong 1933)
Bad answer. Grumpy Old Men was released theatrically in Dolby Stereo. To replicate the theatrical sound you should use Pro Logic or Pro Logic II to take advantage of the matrixed center and surround channels.
And by the way, pretty much any movie that has 2.0 sound on DVD or Blu-ray should be listened to with Pro-Logic. If the movie is mono, it will automatically steer the sound into the center channel where it belongs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How is my answer bad when you confirmed(what I already knew...and he found out when playing it) that GOM is 2.0?
And(you referenced it) I even said "whatever mode you want"...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
schan1269 said:
How is my answer bad when you confirmed(what I already knew...and he found out when playing it) that GOM is 2.0?
And(you referenced it) I even said "whatever mode you want"...
Because you said AVR direct mode is the way intended. AVR direct will give you plain stereo with no surround decoding which is not the proper way to hear a Dolby film on a 5.1 system. It may be proper if you only have 2 speakers, but if you have a surround system you don't want dialog coming out of the left and right speakers, you want it in the center.
And "whatever mode you want" isn't helpful because he was asking what is proper.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So...
http://www.amazon.com/Catch-Thief-Blu-ray-Grace-Kelly/dp/B006OKOZGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1348425113&sr=1-1&keywords=to+catch+a+thief
When you watch that movie in Direct Mode...it is wrong to do so...noted.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
schan1269 said:
I hate to break this to you, but if you are listening to To Catch a Thief in Direct Mode, you are missing out on the specially-encoded surround effects: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319088/to-catch-a-thief-blu-ray-review#post_3905561

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Apparently you didn't understand my entire post...
I said...
"Use whichever sound mode you wish".
I also said...
"Use Direct Mode to hear as intended".
What part of my POST IS WRONG?
So, you can listen to To Catch a Thief on the mono track...as heard by EVERYBODY BEFORE SURROUND WAS INVENTED.
Or, you can listen with some sound mode turned on.
If you can't enjoy To Catch a Thief in the Direct Mode lossless mono, the way people heard before...what, 1983??? (I would assume when it debuted on VHS, whatever year that was, was the first time anybody could hear the movie in anything but mono)
Then that is your loss...not mine...
I can enjoy it the way people get to experience it now. And have watched it with my 84 year old uncle...and listened to it the way he remembered.
Thank you very much.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Still, if you listen to the mono 2.0 soundtrack, you should engage pro-logic so the sound will come out of the center speaker like it is supposed to. I don't know why this is confusing to you.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It isn't confusing to me.
Why is it a foreign concept to actually NOT USE surround modes?
First time I watched the BD of King King(1933, and still the movie that is benchmarked for effects. What they pulled off in 1933 is phenomenal) I watched in mono.
Why? Cause I'm a movie buff. I watch 90% of my content via disc. Even Netfilx, lots of the movies I choose to watch are disc available only. That takes some work to pull that off with Netflix.
And there are DVD/BD from prior to Wizard of Oz that aren't in color...
Are we not supposed to watch them cause Ted hasn't gotten to them yet?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Fine. You do it your way I'll do it mine. When I watch a movie in mono, the sound will be in the center speaker only. When you watch a movie in mono (that is encoded as 2.0) you'll get sound in the left and right speakers with nothing in the middle. Whatever floats your boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks