What's new

Driver replacement suggestions (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi all,
Have a 3.25 cubic ft, dual flared ports, 3", DOWN fireing cabnit. Tuned to 25hz, with a KG-5150 amp powering it, 150 into 8 and 200 into 4ohms bought threw Menicus Audio. 30hz boost has been removed. Currently no subsonic filter.
Any ideas for a replacement 15inch driver that might work?
Looking to stay around 100.00 or so, and sub is for HT use only. Tuneing could be changed, subsonic and or boost could be added. I know with this size cabnit, selection of drivers for lowest freq reproduction is limited at best. Maybe some car drvers might offer a better choice.
So any ideas.

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
How about a Dayton DVC 15" from Parts Express.
By my calculations if you retune to 29 or 30 it would stay flat to 30. Or you could keep the tuning the same and add a 5 db boost at 25hz. With either design you won't hit your Xmax till about 17-19 hz.
Don't forget about room gain. Should be a pretty good sub. Price is $132.

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
Stryke audio's SAE1503 looks like it would work nice also. Maybe a 5db boost at 25hz, with the tuning left the same. It actually models a little better than the Dayton DVC. They are on preorder right now for $99.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Fred for the ideas and sims,
Are the Dayton and Stryke drivers ok in a down fire design. Id check but in a rush on my way out.
Thanks
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Pat,
Gosh no, not the monster HE-15.
Ca-chig Ca-ching...Though she is a beauty.
The SAE-1503 was what Fred suggested. This cabnit been sitting empty for a while now. Just hate to let it lay DOA. Took a look at the SAE-1503 and can find nothing on down firing. Shot E-mail over and should here something soon. It models fair and the price is right. Being its for HT use only and my brother has commented on it a couple of times, giveing it to him as he is almost finished building his new house. Pecan lamnit, beveled top edges, L-shaped legs 2 1/2" and base attached to bottem like SVS sonos. Amp and ports out the back. Everthing pecan covered. Real high wife aceptence.
Didnt even no they made these 15's till Fred brought it up. Usually looking at 12's. Anybody else know anything about this driver.
Down fire ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks