What's new

DRANGE setting on receiver (1 Viewer)

Jared Reich

Stunt Coordinator
I have a sony receiver. Whenever I watch movies the audio drops out when a high level noise kicks in. Usually when something clicks like a gun or cigarette lighter. In Kung Fu Hustle whenever a huge fight happens the noise bottoms out during punches etc.

Would having DRANGE turned on make the audio sink down like this. It only does it during 5.1 sound movies and not with all of my films only certain ones.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Have you tried the problem discs with and without dynamic range turned on? I'd do that 1st and see what happens.

Jared Reich

Stunt Coordinator
I will try that. Is this something that is known to happen with dynamic range on? Is it supposed to lower sounf levels that become more aggressive?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Jared, I have never used dynamic range compression on any of the 3 systems in the house. I have a Sony 444ES rec'r in the bedroom system and I don't even know if it has that feature. Except to limit noise level, which is not an issue for me, I don't see much advantage to using that type feature.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I can't say for certain on the Sony, but a Dynamic Range control is usually used to DECREASE the level of the loudest sounds, not shut them off entirely.

I have a few movies where the dynamic range is so large that speech is un-hearable, then seconds later a music passage or special effect is so loud that windows rattle. In this case, limiting the dynamic range (through use of compression) is a huge benefit.

You may be exeriencing a sort of "overload control" where the amplifier shuts down briefly to avoid blowing apart the transistors or the speakers. Does this cutout occur only at high volume, or does it also occur when you play the movie quietly?

If only at high volume, it may be a protection circuit. In that caase, the only cure is quieter sound or bigger seakers and amp!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Good description. To me it is not unlike bass boost that some rec'rs have. I'd never use it. Someone I knew had it and I told him it was for loss of perceived bass at low volume and if he continued listening at high volume levels there would be a problem. He blew his speakers.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i had the same problem a couple of years ago with a sony str-de 945. it was during certain scenes in crouching tiger hidden dragon.

i turned off the dynamic range and like you said problem solved. when i lived in an apartment i was concerned about the dynamic range because of loud sounds and i did not want to tee off the neighbors.

now that i live in my own house, a whisper is a whisper and an explosion is an explosion. i prefer it that way with my sony str-da4es.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks