What's new

Dr. Kildare in 2013? (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Richard V said:
Really wish for a Ben Casey release as well.
I'd like to see Ben Casey as well but I wouldn't hold your breath. Other than their ongoing westerns, CBS seems to have little interest in releasing any more black and white shows.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
I don't agree with the Combat!-Gallant Men, Casey-Kildare analogy... Gallant Men was clearly an inferior series that lasted only one season, while Dr. Kildare was, at ,least in the first years, even more successful than Ben Casey and clearly a goiod to great series. As to which was better... that's a question of taste. I find them different and like both an looking at the season 1 episodes from Dr. Kildare I'm finding out that the series is not as 'sweet' and optimistic as its reputation is in comparison to the dark and somber Ben Casey..

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've never seen Ben Casey (it isn't going to help I'll admit when I see the series for the first time after years of seeing the Flintstones episode that mercilessly parodies it) but Kildare impressed me tremendously when I went through its first season. Despite a few clunkers (most noticably Richard Kiley's guest shot episode and the terrible second episode of Dan O'Herlihy) the good episodes were terrific especially the moving Christmas episode and also the one that dealt with the assisted suicide question in a different way than I expected.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
While I had never seen an episode of Kildare, nor really knew anything about it, until Gary introduced me to the first Christmas episode, but once seen I knew it was one I had to have more of. Finding out about all the guest stars and Chamberlain, which I grew up watching in made for TV movies and mini series definitely helped. But what clinched it for me was finding out Raymond Massey was in it. We all have our favorite big time actors that we look for and can generally watch in whatever they do. Then there are those next level down actors that just never seemed to garner all the accolades you might think they deserved. The type that when hearing about a movie that might be of interest and you scan down the supporting actors you say to yourself "Wow they're in this movie to..." and you just have to give it a try. Raymond Massey is one of those actors for me. I think first identified with Raymond Massey in "Santa Fe Trail". Another that fits that bill with me is Ward Bond that I first really identified with in "Gentleman Jim".

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Warner Archive now has S2 up for pre-order with a 1/28 release date. Glad the "2014" timetable turned out to be early in the year for S2 so maybe we'll have at least one and maybe two more before year's end!

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Jack P said:
Warner Archive now has S2 up for pre-order with a 1/28 release date. Glad the "2014" timetable turned out to be early in the year for S2 so maybe we'll have at least one and maybe two more before year's end!
Agree, this looks very promising for more releases before the year is out. I know it's jumping the gun but I wonder if the last season color episodes will ever be released?

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Watching the series I have one question. When each segment is done they cut to a shot of Blair Hospital that ,judging by the cars, is from the early 40's. Is this a nod to the MGM films?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It's just a convenient piece of stock footage from the movies that shows the building with the "Blair General Hospital" name.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks