What's new

Dr. Kildare in 2013? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Congrats Gary I know you've been waiting for this one. I'm curious about this one but too much to watch and get right now so this will be later down the road for me.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, Randy. Also thanks to my good friend Jeff Willis for posting the info and link earlier today.

What I'm really happy about is that they've remastered it, so I'm trusting it's going to look phenomenal. Hopefully there will be no hiccups or cuts at all (music or otherwise). If it comes in 100% complete in every way, I'll be giddier than a school girl at the prom. LOL

Gary "this will be a nice, early Christmas present (pun intended for those that know my affection of Christmas episodes)" O.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
the one constant i see in all of this is that many of these shows were once stated on this forum by posters that it would never come out.

and i will once again say that most all of these shows will come out.

simply because there is profit in them.

they start with the most profitable stuff, first.

but once they run out of that backlog, they will release some of the stuff that is not quite as well known.

dobie gillis does not have the popularity of beaver with the populace, but it is now being released.

so if you have a favorite that is not out yet, just wait - and enjoy all the stuff that is out.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Full description, from the WB Archive email:

DR. KILDARE: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASONhttp://l.email-warnerbros.com/u.d?Q4GjE_pp63yr6KceUrUC4=15741 (1961-62) Richard Chamberlain and Raymond Massey don the surgical scrubs first made famous by the film team of Lew Ayres and Lionel Barrymore for the equally successful TV incarnation in the 1960s. Richard Chamberlain’s star ascended quickly, as the show swept him from relative unknown to full-on teen idol (in a show pointed squarely at adults, no less). The show was also blessed to have the talents of a young Jerrald Goldsmith on hand to pen the shows score. Kildare’s title theme, “Three Stars Will Shine Tonight”, became a monster hit on its own, sung by Mr. Chamberlain himself. Notable guests include Lee Marvin, Ellen Burstyn, Dorothy Malone, Joseph Cotten, Mary Astor, Margaret O’Brien and more! And as an added bonus, we’ve dug up a “lost” episode — “The Eleventh Hour,” the ORIGINAL, never-aired pilot for the Wendell Corey psychiatric drama, teaming Dr. Theodore Bassett up with Drs. Gillespie and Kildare to get to the bottom of what the devil is wrong with Ann Costigan (Vera Miles). All episodes have been newly remastered especially for this DVD premiere release. Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand.

Shows that they're definitely aware that pressed discs are a big selling point (along with remastering)...

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
jimmyjet said:
the one constant i see in all of this is that many of these shows were once stated on this forum by posters that it would never come out.

and i will once again say that most all of these shows will come out.

so if you have a favorite that is not out yet, just wait - and enjoy all the stuff that is out.
I think we're seeing a stabilization from the disastrous combined effects of the collapse of a lot of bricks and mortar retail outlets and the economic crash of 2008. Now that the economy has begun to improve (in many places) and alternative distribution methods (like Warner Archive) have appeared, it's become easier for the DVD companies to get these niche products to their correct audience, rather than dumping them in every Walmart and Best Buy across the country and hoping for the general public to stumble across them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
JoeDoakes said:
I'm going to get season 1 on your recommendation Gary.
I'm confident you won't be disappointed, Joe. It's a fantastic drama series and has what I consider to be one of the greatest Christmas episodes of all time in the 1st season. In fact that episode is probably my favorite Christmas themed TV episode of all time, with the possible exception of "A Charlie Brown Christmas", which isn't so much a TV show episode as it is a TV Special.

Gary "really psyched about this set" O.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Guy Foulard said:
Full description, from the WB Archive email:

DR. KILDARE: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON (1961-62) Richard Chamberlain and Raymond Massey don the surgical scrubs first made famous by the film team of Lew Ayres and Lionel Barrymore for the equally successful TV incarnation in the 1960s. Richard Chamberlain’s star ascended quickly, as the show swept him from relative unknown to full-on teen idol (in a show pointed squarely at adults, no less). The show was also blessed to have the talents of a young Jerrald Goldsmith on hand to pen the shows score. Kildare’s title theme, “Three Stars Will Shine Tonight”, became a monster hit on its own, sung by Mr. Chamberlain himself. Notable guests include Lee Marvin, Ellen Burstyn, Dorothy Malone, Joseph Cotten, Mary Astor, Margaret O’Brien and more! And as an added bonus, we’ve dug up a “lost” episode — “The Eleventh Hour,” the ORIGINAL, never-aired pilot for the Wendell Corey psychiatric drama, teaming Dr. Theodore Bassett up with Drs. Gillespie and Kildare to get to the bottom of what the devil is wrong with Ann Costigan (Vera Miles). All episodes have been newly remastered especially for this DVD premiere release. Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand.

Shows that they're definitely aware that pressed discs are a big selling point (along with remastering)...
Replicated discs are cheaper to manufacture in volume as well. I ordered and am looking forward to it. I was in fourth grade when this season played. Yikes!

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
This is the best news I've heard this year! For anyone that has never seen the show, in particular season one, I highly recommend it as others here have. Dr. Kildare has got to rate up there with one of the best drama series' of all time. Amazing there were 33 episodes produced in one year!

I'm really stoked that the "lost" pilot episode of The Eleventh Hour is included as a bonus also! Maybe there's hope that this series will be released also sometime in the near future?

Thanks Warners!!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
PatrickGoodluck said:
This is the best news I've heard this year! For anyone that has never seen the show, in particular season one, I highly recommend it as others here have. Dr. Kildare has got to rate up there with one of the best drama series' of all time. Amazing there were 33 episodes produced in one year!

I'm really stoked that the "lost" pilot episode of The Eleventh Hour is included as a bonus also! Maybe there's hope that this series will be released also sometime in the near future?

Thanks Warners!!
Don't think I've ever seen an episode of The Eleventh Hour, but I'm guessing it is similar to one of it's contemporaries, The Human Jungle, which is quite good.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I'm interested in this show and bought season 1. I will have to really like it to buy more. There are 5 seasons so you are looking at around $300. dollars including s/h. I can't imagine liking it that much but we'll see. Warner Archives are great but really expensive. I'm glad they are releasing these shows but you got to pay dearly for them.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The Eleventh Hour I think we will see eventually. Sometime last fall I asked the Warner Archive Facebook guy specifically about that as well as Kildare, Cain's Hundred and Jericho and all of them were confirmed as on their radar. Whenever there's a hangup with music clearance or poor elements they always say so upfront provided you ask.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
poor elements ? do you mean that the film that is left is no longer that good ?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
By poor elements, I mean something that needs to be remastered etc. or if it's a movie, something that hasn't had an anamorphic transfer or something like that.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am not up on the technical details. but i thought everything was "remastered", when it got transferred over from its original to dvd ?

anyways, i get your drift. some originals must be in better shape than others.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have had a chance to watch the first 8 episodes, and the show is even better than I remember. Technically, the show is very accurate to actual medical practice (I have first hand experience ;) ) and the acting and directing are TOP notch. It was amusing to see Dick York and Dick Sargent on back to back guest starring episodes, as the soon to be future Darrin Stephens. Picture and sound are excellent. All in all absolutely no regrets, and I'm eagerly awaiting and hoping for future full season releases. Kudos to Warner Archives, keep up the good work.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've gone through the first seven episodes and having just finished the York one, looks like I get Sargent next! I have to admit after the pilot episode, I wasn't too impressed with episodes 2-5 (it is VERY hard to buy the idea of Edward Andrews and Suzanne Pleshette as brother-sister, even when a 19 year difference is stated upfront), but things picked up with the Shatner episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks