What's new

Double Indemnity / Touch of Evil Blu-rays - 4/15 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
haineshisway said:
I have to believe these will be the exact duplicates of the UK releases, so there should be no need to purchase if one has those. They are very nice transfers.
Universal just did a new restoration on Touch of Evil, so there should be some improvement in that regard (though I do not know if they restored just the Reconstructed version only or both the Reconstructed and Theatrical/Preview versions).

I believe this is the same team that did the recent restoration work on Dracula, All Quiet on the Western Front, etc. Double Indemnity is also a new restoration.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
haineshisway said:
I have to believe these will be the exact duplicates of the UK releases, so there should be no need to purchase if one has those. They are very nice transfers.

However, it's more than a little astonishing that no one here has mentioned the most amusing thing about the two covers, and that would the the two words at the top: Limited Edition. :) Hmmm.
. . . and Amazon's pre-order prices are remarkably similar to Twilight Time's.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoHud said:
I will be waiting on these.

Why? For comparison with the Masters of Cinema editions of both films.
When you've made the comparison, please let us know what you've found. I have the Masters Of Cinema discs and think they're excellent, but there are Internet rumors that Universal have done some further restoration. Internet rumors however . . . .

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Perhaps the studios are looking at the TT business model and we might see others following their pricing/limited edition model, making blu-ray the quality/premium product it should have been.The days of bargain bins could be over!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Jari K said:
So are these limited? These are "must" titles of course, but just wondering.
I suspect that they mean "limited" in these particular versions with all the printed supplementary material. It might also just be a marketing tool.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Douglas R said:
I suspect that they mean "limited" in these particular versions with all the printed supplementary material. It might also just be a marketing tool.
That's my thought. Limited, in the sense that some digibook releases are limited.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robin9 said:
. . . and Amazon's pre-order prices are remarkably similar to Twilight Time's.
I don't see how similar $20.99 is to $29.95. Or $2.99 shipping (non-Prime) vs $4.35.So, if I have Prime (or add in other items), I can buy these for $20.99. A TT disc costs me $34.30.Not similar at all

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
4/15/2014 just became a really good day!

My all time favorite noir and another in my top 15 that has a new edit closer to the director's original intentions.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Brandon Conway said:
Universal just did a new restoration on Touch of Evil, so there should be some improvement in that regard (though I do not know if they restored just the Reconstructed version only or both the Reconstructed and Theatrical/Preview versions).

I believe this is the same team that did the recent restoration work on Dracula, All Quiet on the Western Front, etc. Double Indemnity is also a new restoration.
I'm surprised that the marketing materials/press releases around these don't tout the new restoration of Double Indemnity. Really hope that's what's being used for the Blu, as it seems like it would be incredibly dumb if not.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robin9 said:
When you've made the comparison, please let us know what you've found. I have the Masters Of Cinema discs and think they're excellent, but there are Internet rumors that Universal have done some further restoration. Internet rumors however . . . .
I'll be waiting on Touch of Evil because I have the MoC edition, and I never actually bought Double Indemnity on blu-ray yet (decided to pre-order that one) so I won't be doing any comparisons personally.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, the titles were specifically called out by Universal's Michael Daruty in Time magazine last March as getting the 4K restoration treatment, so yeah, that would be thoroughly disappointing to not use them.

l3BXGhz.jpg

Mark VH

Second Unit
Brandon Conway said:
Well, the titles were specifically called out by Universal's Michael Daruty in Time magazine last March as getting the 4K restoration treatment, so yeah, that would be thoroughly disappointing to not use them.

l3BXGhz.jpg
Agree. It's just something I could very much see Universal cheaping out on - debut the new print at the TCM Film Festival, but use the old master for the Blu-ray. Not saying this will be the case as I'm sure it won't be, it just seems odd that they'd go through the trouble of a major restoration and then not promote it in the materials announcing the Blu-ray launch.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
". . . and Amazon's pre-order prices are remarkably similar to Twilight Time's."These releases cost 21$ on Amazon. Let's stick to facts, shall we.Pre-ordered, btw.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Brandon Conway said:

l3BXGhz.jpg
If High Plains Drifter is any indication, these should look very good!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
David Weicker said:
I don't see how similar $20.99 is to $29.95. Or $2.99 shipping (non-Prime) vs $4.35.So, if I have Prime (or add in other items), I can buy these for $20.99. A TT disc costs me $34.30.Not similar at all
You're right of course. I was responding to someone - I thought at the time - who had posted the price was $29.95. Either they did and edited the post or I mis-read the post. My apologies.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I guess the MSRP actually is close TT, but since these are sold in Amazon.com etc, the "real" price close to 20$.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
$20? That's insane. No movie is worth that much. I'll wait until they hit $5-10 each ;)Seriously though, I'd like to see a comparison of the Double Indemnity releases. I have the MoC release, and it's quite good, but there is noticeable damage throughout the movie, and black levels aren't very strong. If it's substantially cleaned up I'm willing to replace it with the US release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks