What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It’s been that price since Amazon started price matching B&N’s July sale. :D

I coulda sworn it was the Blu-ray that was at that price as I looked at it a few times over the past few weeks.

Maybe I am wrong about that?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When you get ready to watch it, give me a heads up so I can watch my 4K disc for the first time. I’m very interested in reading your thoughts about this great film. Just remember that it was a groundbreaking movie that many others have tried to copy over the years. It’s too bad the production code compromised what Billy Wilder would’ve had in the movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
When you get ready to watch it, give me a heads up so I can watch my 4K disc for the first time. I’m very interested in reading your thoughts about this great film. Just remember that it was a groundbreaking movie that many others have tried to copy over the years. It’s too bad the production code compromised what Billy Wilder would’ve had in the movie.

You got it!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaah, okay, thanks. In any event, I'm gonna buy it today along with THE GODFATHER which I swore I would never purchase.
I ordered Double Indemnity yesterday (got $10 for completing the Amazon Prime stamps), so it came to about $15. It should show up today. Gave my wife my old BD copy to sell. You'll love the film, Ron.

I also broke down and ordered the Godfather 4K trilogy at that price. I couldn't resist the price, either, even though I had pretty much written off this version due to Robert Harris's comments. Love the first two films, so I'll see for myself. Taled with a friend last week who watched the 4K versions and he was okay with the changes. Had enough gift cards so it cost me nothing out of pocket.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I ordered Double Indemnity yesterday (got $10 for completing the Amazon Prime stamps), so it came to about $15. It should show up today. Gave my wife my old BD copy to sell. You'll love the film, Ron.

I also broke down and ordered the Godfather 4K trilogy at that price. I couldn't resist the price, either, even though I had pretty much written off this version due to Robert Harris's comments. Love the first two films, so I'll see for myself. Taled with a friend last week who watched the 4K versions and he was okay with the changes. Had enough gift cards so it cost me nothing out of pocket.

Scott, looks like you and I are in very similar circumstances. Glad to be in the same boat!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. I snoozed, I lost!

Thought THE GODFATHER would be on sale all day. It suddenly went back up to $62 so I am not going to be purchasing it.

EDIT: Amazon put THE GODFATHER back on sale. Grabbed it!

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I finally had the chance to sit down and watch the Criterion 4k this afternoon.

I went into it blindly not reading any reviews or comments from Robert Harris.

Let me start with the film itself...

I can see why this film has been praised throughout this forum (which was the reason for my purchase). It's just perfect in every way from the dialogue to the cinematography and the stellar performances from its lead actors, in particular, Edward G. Robinson.

What is not to love about this film. I am so incredibly happy I finally had the chance to see and savor it.

Now the bad news...

While the transfer is immaculate and nearly debris-free (I only noticed hair in the frame for a few seconds during a grocery store scene), I am not certain this is worthy of a 4k purchase.

If you had put this on and told me nothing about the format I was watching this film in, I would have never guessed it was a 4k presentation. There just isn't that kind of stunning detail that I expect from films in this format.

Now, granted, I haven't seen this on Blu-ray so I can't compare how much better this looks over the 1080p counterpart. I am assuming that perhaps some of the darker night scenes are more revealing in 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, I finally had the chance to sit down and watch the Criterion 4k this afternoon.

I went into it blindly not reading any reviews or comments from Robert Harris.

Let me start with the film itself...

I can see why this film has been praised throughout this forum (which was the reason for my purchase). It's just perfect in every way from the dialogue to the cinematography and the stellar performances from its lead actors, in particular, Edward G. Robinson.

What is not to love about this film. I am so incredibly happy I finally had the chance to see and savor it.

Now the bad news...

While the transfer is immaculate and nearly debris-free (I only noticed hair in the frame for a few seconds during a grocery store scene), I am not certain this is worthy of a 4k purchase.

If you had put this on and told me nothing about the format I was watching this film in, I would have never guessed it was a 4k presentation. There just isn't that kind of stunning detail that I expect from films in this format.

Now, granted, I haven't seen this on Blu-ray so I can't compare how much better this looks over the 1080p counterpart. I am assuming that perhaps some of the darker night scenes are more revealing in 4k.
Okay, over the last couple of days I've spent a lot of time watching "Double Indemnity". I watched the 2014 70th Anniversary Blu-ray release in its entirety while listening to Lem Dobbs and Nick Redman's audio commentary. Man, I really miss Nick.:( Also, I watched the 4K/Dolby Vision disc in its entirety. I then did several comparisons between the two discs. Of course, the 4K is more detailed than the 2014 Blu-ray. Furthermore, the dark scenes on the 4K disc look much sharper than the Blu-ray when it came to blacks and shadows. Let's remember this movie has several dark sequences in it and the overall look of the film has several spectacular scenes in which the lighting was purposely manipulated to reduce lighting. All in all, the 4K disc is an improvement, but not as great as I thought prior to watching both discs.

By the way, what a great film with some of the best written dialogue in any movie. There is no way this film should have lost the Best Picture Oscar to "Going My Way". The Crosby film is good, but it's not in "Double Indemnity" class. Furthermore, the movie featured three great acting performances. There is little doubt in my mind that Barbara Stanwyck was the best actress from the Golden Age of Hollywood. I just love the way she would look at the other actors during their scenes together. Edward G. was marvelous especially in those film sequences in which he had long stretches of dialogue. MacMurray against type was at the top of his game too.

The following bonus material is really enlightening and should be viewed by those really interested in this great film and those involved with this movie. The Shadows of Suspense is an older featurette that was on previous home video releases. However, it was good to watch it again. The Muller and Smith discussion is new and was obviously filmed at two different locations for each person, but I found it very informative. IMO, these two individuals are the most knowledgeable "film noir" experts and I love listening to the both of them speak about film noir.

Blu-ray Disc 1

Words, Words, Words (17:19) –
Film scholar Noah Isenberg looks at Billy Wilder’s time as a newspaper reporter prior to entering the film industry in this new interview.

Eddie Muller & Imogen Sara Smith on Double Indemnity (31:23) – The two film historians talk about why the movie is considered the quintessential film noir as well as being the genre’s genesis point in this newly filmed conversation.

Shadows of Suspense (37:57) – This 2006 featurette looks at how the movie was made; featuring interviews with Muller, James Ellroy, William Friedkin, Alain Silver and Dr. Drew Casper, just to name a few.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Okay, over the last couple of days I've spent a lot of time watching "Double Indemnity". I watched the 2014 70th Anniversary Blu-ray release in its entirety while listening to Lem Dobbs and Nick Redman's audio commentary. Man, I really miss Nick.:( Also, I watched the 4K/Dolby Vision disc in its entirety. I then did several comparisons between the two discs. Of course, the 4K is more detailed than the 2014 Blu-ray. Furthermore, the dark scenes on the 4K disc look much sharper than the Blu-ray when it came to blacks and shadows. Let's remember this movie has several dark sequences in it and the overall look of the film has several spectacular scenes in which the lighting was purposely manipulated to reduce lighting. All in all, the 4K disc is an improvement, but not as great as I thought prior to watching both discs.

By the way, what a great film with some of the best written dialogue in any movie. There is no way this film should have lost the Best Picture Oscar to "Going My Way". The Crosby film is good, but it's not in "Double Indemnity" class. Furthermore, the movie featured three great acting performances. There is little doubt in my mind that Barbara Stanwyck was the best actress from the Golden Age of Hollywood. I just love the way she would look at the other actors during their scenes together. Edward G. was marvelous especially in those film sequences in which he had long stretches of dialogue. MacMurray against type was at the top of his game too.

The following bonus material is really enlightening and should be viewed by those really interested in this great film and those involved with this movie. The Shadows of Suspense is an older featurette that was on previous home video releases. However, it was good to watch it again. The Muller and Smith discussion is new and was obviously filmed at two different locations for each person, but I found it very informative. IMO, these two individuals are the most knowledgeable "film noir" experts and I love listening to the both of them speak about film noir.

Blu-ray Disc 1

Film scholar Noah Isenberg looks at Billy Wilder’s time as a newspaper reporter prior to entering the film industry in this new interview.

Eddie Muller & Imogen Sara Smith on Double Indemnity (31:23) – The two film historians talk about why the movie is considered the quintessential film noir as well as being the genre’s genesis point in this newly filmed conversation.

Shadows of Suspense (37:57) – This 2006 featurette looks at how the movie was made; featuring interviews with Muller, James Ellroy, William Friedkin, Alain Silver and Dr. Drew Casper, just to name a few.
Robert, what did you think in terms of comparing the new Criterion Blu with the 2014. Though I wouldn't say the difference is necessarily revelatory, I'm really glad I bought the disk. I found it more detailed, especially the darker sequences. And though I did think the 2014 Blu was extraordinary when it first appeared, the specifics of the lighting are much superior in the Criterion IMO. It's a real pleasure to watch. And I even liked the way Barbara Stanwyck's wig was lit, which always bothered me before, but on the Criterion, it fits the lighting scheme and the way she's visualized beautifully.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, what did you think in terms of comparing the new Criterion Blu with the 2014. Though I wouldn't say the difference is necessarily revelatory, I'm really glad I bought the disk. I found it more detailed, especially the darker sequences. And though I did think the 2014 Blu was extraordinary when it first appeared, the specifics of the lighting are much superior in the Criterion IMO. It's a real pleasure to watch. And I even liked the way Barbara Stanwyck's wig was lit, which always bothered me before, but on the Criterion, it fits the lighting scheme and the way she's visualized beautifully.
TBH, I purposely avoided playing the new Blu-ray as I spent enough time with Double Indemnity” at the expense of not watching other new discs I just received. Furthermore, I’ll probably never watch that Blu-ray because my preference would be to watch the 4K disc for any future viewings of Double Indemnity.

Now, onto the new Marty Blu-ray.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The new master Criterion uses has even less print damage (speckles and flicker at the sides of the frame), than the 2014 master. I agree with Robert Crawford, in that the 4K UHD, as always, resolves the natural film grain better than the blu-ray does - which is better for fine detail, in the scenes which have them. However, as Ron Epstein writes, there are plenty of scenes, where there is little detail, probably due to limitations in the source elements.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The new master Criterion uses has even less print damage (speckles and flicker at the sides of the frame), than the 2014 master. I agree with Robert Crawford, in that the 4K UHD, as always, resolves the natural film grain better than the blu-ray does - which is better for fine detail, in the scenes which have them. However, as Ron Epstein writes, there are plenty of scenes, where there is little detail, probably due to limitations in the source elements.
This 4K disc couldn't be derived from the OCN. A fine grain master was used and for some scenes probably a dupe neg. This is the best it's ever going to look on home video.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Blu-ray Disc 1

I miss Nick, too!

I am happy to hear that the Criterion 4k of DOUBLE INDEMNITY improves upon the Blu-ray. As I stated, I have not had the opportunity to view any previous releases so it was great that you could provide a proper comparison.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just watched my 4k uhd blu-ray of Double Indemnity last night. This is a meaningful upgrade from the previous release, although since the OCN is lost.... Anyway, Fred MacMurray gives the best performance of his career. Definitely somewhere in my top ten film noir list.

As a side note, I've recently been wasting a little time with the new free open source ai chatbot that has gotten a lot of attention from the NewYork Times, and from other places. I asked it to write a poem about this movie, and here's what it wrote:

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 7.09.11 AM.png

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
We watched it tonight and no matter what I did, the 4K UHD froze at 45:38. I could chapter skip past it and rewind to about 46:00 and watch the rest of the movie. I don't see anyone else with this problem so hopefully this is an isolated case. I've never had a problem with a 4K disc before and now this and the Criterion Princess Bride have given me issues on my Oppo 203.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
ON THE OTHER FORUM similar problems were fixed by doing a ""reset""on oppo 203 and 205 . Something to do with the latest Oppo firmware and certain Dolby vision discs . From memory youll find the details on the Oppo 203 thread at Bd.com

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
ON THE OTHER FORUM similar problems were fixed by doing a ""reset""on oppo 203 and 205 . Something to do with the latest Oppo firmware and certain Dolby vision discs . From memory youll find the details on the Oppo 203 thread at Bd.com

A reset, as in clearing the cache?

willyTass

Supporting Actor
i think it was more involved than that, i did it years ago but i don’t remember the sequence of button pushes for the hard reset. it’s either on avsforum or bluraydotcom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks