What's new

DOCTOR X's color (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I heard a rumor that Warners will be releasing DOCTOR X later this year. I hope they don't make the same mistake as they did with MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM and get the color wrong. Since these films were done in the old two-color Technicolor process, I believe there should not be a blue hue to everything. The old laser double set seems to have the correct color, but I was frustrated with the latter film as it appeared with HOUSE OF WAX, although they did clean up the image considerably. I also wonder if they thought about including the black and white version, as it has different shots in many scenes.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see DOCTOR X on DVD, especially with both the color and black and white versions.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Yes, they dropped the ball with the MYSTERY DVD release, though I still picked it up...got it for super-cheap, and I got two films. But I still have my beloved double-feature LD, which does indeed feature the correct color scheme, as restored by UCLA.

The DOCTOR X DVD needs to have the original color intact as well as the black-and-white version. I thought that the entire film was composed of different takes/angles, not just certain shots.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I wasn't aware that DOCTOR X was shot in two versions. I thought that the B&W release prints were just that, so that's interesting news, indeed. The WAX MUSEUM dvd is a shame, not only with addition of an incorrect blue, but the fact that all of the background detail is fudged into a sea of pink.

Thanks for the DOCTOR X info!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Odd for WB, the Mystery DVD side is interlaced and has a lot of DVNR. Great audio, though. It would be nice to have a remaster that better reflects the 2-strip look. Perhaps it would be a good idea to pair up with Doctor X with both films being newly remastered.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
It's no excuse, but maybe somebody decided to "correct" the color so people wouldn't think "there's something wrong with the color" and return it.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Actually, only a few shots in the black and white version use different takes (perhaps three or four). Everything else is shot simultaneously, with very little change in camera angle (perhaps so slim that one might be able to make sterescopic pictures out of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks