What's new

Do you purchase classic TV on DVD shows for your kids to enjoy? (1 Viewer)

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just curious does anyone purchase classic TV on DVD shows for the enjoyment of you (and your children)? If so do your kids like the shows?

I "ll post my reply seperate.

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
I just don't think they make sitcoms for families like they used to. I have found several shows that my kids like. They like "Punky Brewster" and sometimes "Diff'Rent Stroke," of course they get plenty of laughs from "Good Times" and "What's Happening."

As for cartoons there are many I just knew they would love like "He-Man," they weren't impressed but they did like "The Electric Company," and "Jem." Maybe they aren't old enough for "He-Man" and "She-Ra,"

But I have a huge collection of TV on DVD shows from my youth in the 80's/70s that I share with them and was wondering if anyone else buying these sets shares them with their kids.

There are a lot of misses. I got a review copy of "The Weird Al Show," and they just weren't interested and they hands down told me "Alf" was "too silly." Some of these kids today are just too mature for their own good but I was just wondering if anyone else tries classic shows on their kids.

TimT

Agent
Both Superman and Batman from the 1990s WB series were successful. Also, Gilligan's Island has been fine. The 1970's Wonder Woman worked for the 10-11 year old girl, but not so much for the 7-8 year old boy.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My nine-year-old daughter enjoys the Jim Henson-produced Dinosaurs series.

That's been about it, though! (My taste runs to SCI-FI/Fantasy and she won't go near my TOS Star Treks; or even Knight Rider which she states is strictly for boys under 12.)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The only set I got exclusively for the kids was the Muppet Show collections (T/L, before the more recent season sets). They loved those. I'm not so much of a SS fan; but do have a weakspot for The Count!

I plan on getting the Addams Family. I know the kids will like that one (they saw a marathon one weekend and were glued to the set), but this time it's also for me.

I got the Twilight Zone for me, but my son got into it as well. He'll complain about the B&W, but I think he's just yanking my chain at this point.

And finally, my wife got me seasons 1&2 of the Simpsons. But they were taken over by the kids. So from that point on each of the kids took turns getting a set on their birthdays. (Yes, I know, a bad parent!)

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for sharing. Knight Rider which I thought was "so cool" was a miss of mine. I have to try "Dinosaurs." The TV on DVD shows are primarily my guilty pleasures but I try to share them with them. I am ordering the WB Batman and Teen Titans for them.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I don't have kids of my own, but I do have a 4-year-old niece who I babysit quite often, and she LOVES I Dream Of Jeannie, The Partridge Family, Family Affair, Bewitched, Lost In Space, and Little House On The Prairie! She stayed over this weekend, and I even tried I Love Lucy (the candy factory episode). Sure enough, when it was over, she wanted to see it again. I thought it was pretty amazing for a 4-year-old to want to watch I Love Lucy! I still love all of these shows myself, but it's a lot of fun to watch them with kids.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Yeah... so far my daughter (10yrs old) loves...
- Bewitched
- Gilligan's Island
- Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew
(esp. Nancy Drew)
- The Incredible Hulk
- Mork & Mindy
- Spider-Man ('67)
- Tabitha
- Too Close for Comfort
- Twilight Zone
- Wonder Woman

I made sure to raise her knowing just because something is old don't make it bad. I didn't want her making the same mistake I did there. Yes... a few years back I was one of those ppl that was like... eeewwww... but it is black and white. I was the type that didn't want to see anything unless it came out during "My Time". Whether it was TV or Movies... and now I am having to play catch-up on all the great shows I would never give a try before.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My daughters (11 & 8) love Punky Brewster, Full House. My 8yr old loves..I mean loves Saved by the Bell.

My 3yr old son loves the Batman animated series from the 90's.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
Of course!

He-man, She-ra, Thundercats, Popeye, Roseanne, Cosby show, Golden Girls, TMNTurtles (classic) and lots more..

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I picked up the original Jonny Quest series for my son. He loves the Turo episode. My favourites were always The Invisible Monster and the Robot Spider ones.

I hope to get the recent Ultraman release and the Land of the Lost series some day since he is crazy about dinosaurs.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I certainly do! My 6 year old doesn't watch tv, except for shows we TIVO for him (like Dinosaur Planet), and so, his only introduction to the older shows are watching them on dvd with me.

He loves:

The Brady Bunch
The Flintstones
The Partridge Family
Huckleberry Hound
Yogi Bear
Hogan's Heroes
Home Improvement
Victory at Sea (go figure)
The Swamp Fox
Elfego Baca

and others

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have been trying to expose my son to plenty of classic television. I was a child of the 60's and early 70's along with enjoying westerns and cop shows. So far I have introduced my son to the following and he them(Hey Mikey!):
Barney Miller - more seasons please
Homicide:LotS
Hill Street Blues
The Wild Wild West
Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Babylon 5
The Muppet Show
The Bob Newhart Show
Nowhere Man
The Prisoner
Magnum, P I
Jonny Quest - original version

He is 13 and we have been watching tv on dvd for about 4 and a half years now.

He has broader interests than his mother - she hates B/W shows.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Since we have no cable/satellite at our house my 5 year old boy's primary tv entertainment (if he's not watching "Arthur" on PBS or his library loaned dvds) is the classic television (pre-1974, of course) I grew up with. Some of the many titles in my collection we've shared together:

Adventures of Superman
The Partridge Family (one of his absolute favorites)
Jonny Quest
Lost in Space (I got so sick of watching S1's "Lost Civilization" time and again--but he was in love with that princess!)
Spider-Man '67
Have Gun Will Travel
The Rifleman
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
The Time Tunnel
Danger Man (1/2 hour only)
U.F.O.
The Swamp Fox
Kung Fu

Not crazy about:

Outer Limits (though he did sit through "Soldier", "Wolf 359" and "Invisible Enemy")
Man in a Suitcase
The Saint
Naked City
Wanted: Dead or Alive

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I consider my personal DVD library my own personal collection. I don't have kids but I have a niece and nephew but they're not allowed to go near my library of DVD's.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
My friend who has a son has been buying the He Man series and the son absolutely loves the show.

Paul

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Others that have posted can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I envision that Dad either selects which series to view or gives the child the choice and then Dad puts the disc on if it is indeed part of his TV-DVD collection. I think most of us realize that little children's hands and our prized possession of old shows don't go well together. Give us a little credit when it comes to parenting skills.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Wait, wait, wait - stop, hold the phone. Brisco and B5 arent old enough to be considered classic television! They're only a decade old now (give or take a couple of years). Stop making me feel old!

*hobbles off with walker to find the medication*

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

We feel they are classic, he wasn't able to watch (Brisco's case) or understand (B5's case) when these aired.

I believe these will meet the definition of Classic in another few years. Sorry if I jumped the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks